Black Tip Reef Shark

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a LFS today and I watched a gentleman come in and buy an almost 2 foot black tip reef shark. He dropped $1K on the fish and it was an amazing specimen, but sad at the same time knowing that it's life isn't going to be lived to it's fullest. They guy had a 560g fish only tank which is a great start, but no where near the size needed.

The worst part of the whole thing is that he said his last black tip went carpet surfing while he was at work. I can't imagine coming home to find something like that dead on the floor.

The only good news is that I was able to persuade a lady from buying an elegance coral and putting it in her tank lit by normal output florescent lights. Can't win them all, but a small victory nonetheless!

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha wow honestly it's more you LFS's fault then the guys... why are they stocking such animals?

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha wow honestly it's more you LFS's fault then the guys... why are they stocking such animals?

because people request/buy them. I doubt they would buy a black tip reef shark only to let it die in their system. They already have two Hawaiian Dragon Eels in the same holding tank waiting for a new home.

dream coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks those are the best looking sharks but should be in a very large system 1000+ in my opinion.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because people request/buy them.
Exactly... if stupid people ('scuse my french - but it's true) left animals unfit for home aquariums in the ocean, then this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

LFS are a business... I don't care how much "respect" owners have for animals, their #1 priority is the business and in the long run all that matters to them - don't support LFS like this and hopefully they'll disappear...

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the LFS fault. They don't care its the almighty dollar. I do not buy from stores like that. No ethics. Our local stores here are very consciencious about selling those animals that only have good longivity rates in captivity. Very conservation conscience. There are many fish both small and large that should not be sold in the trade and that goes for corals too.

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This store (LFS not far from SE DC) sold a ton of this style of stuff to a local drug dealer a few years back. When the dealer killed his girlfriend the LFS owner told the cops that the guy had $10,000+ of fish in the house (where he killed her) that needed to be rescued. The cops told him to go away. He offered to re-sell the live stock and give 1/2 the money to the police or the victims family and they still said no. He got a call a couple of weeks later when they were all dead or dieing saying he could come and get them, according to him he flipped the tanks and left.

This is also the store that had the Blue Ring Octo a few years ago.

Back