Blenny not moving… help

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya, woke up this morning and my male Blenny (part of a mates pair) is just sitting at the bottom of the tank.
I moved house and paid for a professional to move the tank 2 days ago.
Can’t see any sign of physical damage and all other tank mates (clowns, denial blenny, torch, inverts) are ok. Nems look grumpy but assuming due to the move.
No smoking gun with chemistry:
Temp 25.5
Sal 1.0255
pH 8.2
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate not tested yet but was 15 last week
Alk 7.7 (slowly bringing this up)
Phos 0.02

Afraid I can’t take a decent pic or vid as he just hides. No signs of physical damage, colour similar to his mate, just sitting, not moving, staring into space, but breathing doesn’t look laboured. Would also say he wasn’t but he has moved from hiding place to hiding place.

Any ideas, will be gutted if I lose him as this couple produces eggs every night

image.jpg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to do a better picture for members to give you advice . Clear photo or small video in white light and someone will give you advice
#fishmedic

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to do a better picture for members to give you advice . Clear photo or small video in white light and someone will give you advice
#fishmedic
Will do asap. Without poking around it’s not possible yet but keeping my eyes open

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give him time to settle again, fish rarely fair well to stressful conditions and a full tank move could very well fall under that classification! A newly introduced fish will hide for some time as well, so chances are that he's just trying to find his feet again.

As @Nman says, see if you can get some better pictures so it's easier to guide you :)

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give him time to settle again, fish rarely fair well to stressful conditions and a full tank move could very well fall under that classification! A newly introduced fish will hide for some time as well, so chances are that he's just trying to find his feet again.

As @Nman says, see if you can get some better pictures so it's easier to guide you :)
IMG_6361.jpeg
IMG_6359.jpeg

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been set up? Scooter blennies generally need mature tanks to survive
They’ve been in there for about 2 months, they actively take frozen food and I feed live 2-3 times a week. Healthily population of pods on the glass so assume rocks too. No issues with general health, like I say, they’ve been producing eggs together for a while (and the female is dancing round the tank like nothing happened). Smoking gun is the move, as opposed to general, insidious degeneration imo.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your assessment of the effect of the move is likely correct. Really cannot see enough in the photos to reach a different conclusion. Keep a close eye on the blenny and if you are able to get a sharper image or video, do so. Does he have any aggressive tank mates that may have contributed additional stress after the move?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is a hard pic to work with as I can only see head. If fish full massed or getting thin? Often when they are listless, they are starving or may have an internal issue preventing them from eating.
Is breathing rate elevated?
How are other fish in tank behaving/swimming/eating/breathing ?
Is this a newer tank?

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Thanks for the input. Pleased to say he’s back to his usual self. Maybe I caught him sleeping!? They usually hide when sleeping so I have no idea what they look like, but with the rock move around perhaps he didn’t quite find the right bed yet. Back to taking food and more eggs last night. I am conscious of slowly starving but I think they’re good, seems to strange to expend energy you don’t have on mating…
Thanks again all!

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually quite common for marine animals to spawn when stressed, with the hope that some of the offspring is carried to a better environment and continues the bloodline
Hopefully not been stressed for the past two months certainly wouldn’t be at the forefront of my mind if I was stressed. Strange world

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back