OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1208.jpg

He's looking a lot better now (to me at least). I think I'm going to do 1 more round of the medicine in a few days just to be safe.

He's still doing a "flaring" of his fins, however, and appears to be breathing heavy. Am I overreacting, or does this appear to show another issue?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep watching him closely. He does look better to me. I would follow the instructions on the medication or the QT protocol in the stickies. It is very hard to see early illness in videos, for me at least. you have 2 ammonia badges in the tank to monitor ammonia? Is there plenty of surface agitation? Like a power head pointing up? When I see increased work of respiration I evaluate a few things first. 1)No ammonia present. 2) I am confident in good gas exchange. 3) then assume a parasite is at work in the gills and treat for that.

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep watching him closely. He does look better to me. I would follow the instructions on the medication or the QT protocol in the stickies. It is very hard to see early illness in videos, for me at least. you have 2 ammonia badges in the tank to monitor ammonia? Is there plenty of surface agitation? Like a power head pointing up? When I see increased work of respiration I evaluate a few things first. 1)No ammonia present. 2) I am confident in good gas exchange. 3) then assume a parasite is at work in the gills and treat for that.

I have 1 ammonia badge and 1 pH badge on the tank (pH is mainly there because it came in a 2pack.) The ammonia badge reads that there is currently no ammonia, but I'll do another partial WC tomorrow just to be safe. There is a powerhead pointed at the surface on the opposite side of the tank as the filter. I'll keep watching him to be safe, and have no plans to add him to the main tank until after he starts coming to the food I'm adding more regularly. I'll read through the guides at the top again tomorrow as well. Thank you for following up!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose the tank with bottled bacteria and not change the water unless needed. I had a defective ammonia badge and folks advised me to use two as it seems that sometimes a dud ammonia badge turns up. Definitely read up on the QT treatment plans in the stickies.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back