Blue Hornet VS. Purple Hornet

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the zoas and paly so was wondering what is the different and how do you tell which is which. Beside the color because i know one is blue and the other is purple. Which one is harder to obtain as of rite now? Picture of them would be great if any one has them lying around. Thanks

bheld1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to an article I read, the guy who introduced these into the hobby said they are one in the same. In lower light, they had the blueish color, and as he raised them higher, they took on the purple color...and i guess his wife named them when they were in the purple "state". I can find the magazine/article later.

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to an article I read, the guy who introduced these into the hobby said they are one in the same. In lower light, they had the blueish color, and as he raised them higher, they took on the purple color...and i guess his wife named them when they were in the purple "state". I can find the magazine/article later.
what he said... there the same thing under different lighting conditions you get the blue or purple

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the OG purple hornets and what was traded to me as blue hornets. The blue look the same as the purple but they have a blue center. I have them side by side, same light and conditions and they're different...

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you happen to have a photo of them side by side? I have seen the blue hornets that I think you are speaking of and they are nice.
Gary

I have the OG purple hornets and what was traded to me as blue hornets. The blue look the same as the purple but they have a blue center. I have them side by side, same light and conditions and they're different...

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about these Blue Hornets?

http://www.extremecorals.com/Mercha...C&Product_Code=zoo_4-22-07&Category_Code=Zoos

I was also wondering why they were selling for so much as they don't look much like actual Purple Hornets.
I don't see much difference in those and what I have.
Under 10K MH
IMG_0109.jpg

under actinic
IMG_0115.jpg

dunno.gif

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blues and the ones around them such as the blue/pink and green/pink all look like Caribbean Zoas. The trick to those are to put them in intense light and medium - high flow. A ton of Caribbean zoas melted on me before I figured out what keeps them alive. Put them in "SPS conditions" and they will do much better for you.

I've had a few different versions..the problem is that they are all melters...but I keep trying

bh.jpg

000_0540.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back