Blue Hornet VS. Purple Hornet

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not a site. Of course retail is always more than what you can get corals from locals or people selling on forums.

Well if I work in shipping costs, I might of paid about $2.50 pp

But enough of this, I am lying! Lets get back to more pictures of the Real Purplr Hornets vs the Real Blue Hornets.

Wally1402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think he got ripped off, it was $80 including shipping. So if the shipping was $60 he paid $20 for 12-15 polyps. Not bad to me.

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not a site. Of course retail is always more than what you can get corals from locals or people selling on forums.

Well if I work in shipping costs, I might of paid about $2.50 pp

But enough of this, I am lying! Lets get back to more pictures of the Real Purplr Hornets vs the Real Blue Hornets.
i thought the real purple hornet and the real blue hornet was the same thing.. its just the original purple hornet under different lighting...

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought the real purple hornet and the real blue hornet was the same thing.. its just the original purple hornet under different lighting...

Nope, they are different... I have both the blue and purple hornet, and i can see a difference in color

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Got ripped off huh? Now that they're all open, there's at least 20 polyps and yes, the $80.00 included shipping. With every website I've looked at, including AquaSD, these are identical to any "African Blue Hornet" I've seen. Yes, they do look a lot like AOIs also. Brown, I challenge you to show me anywhere where I can get Blue Hornets, or AOIs for $1.00/polyp. Shipping was about $40.00, and I have at least 20 polyps, so I'm figuring I paid about $2.00/polyp, plus shipping. I'm happy with the purchase.

Here's a link to AquaSDs Zoanthid page, including some screaming deals on "Blue Hornets," that were sold, unfortunately. http://www.aquasd.com/index.php?location=zoas Mine look identical. Here's Vivid's "African Blue Hornets," that look identical to mine. http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Exp...y=Coral And Invertebrates:Polyps&SortBy=Price

Last edited:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion and it dont mean much.... Looks like you got Lemon Drops to me and not African Blues. African Blues are Caribbean and typically have small polyps, atleast all of the ones I get in are small.
Either way, you got a great deal and in my opinion the Lemon Drops are much nicer and hardier than the African Blues.
Its amazing how name from from African Blues to African Blue Hornets when they look nothing like a Purple Hornet. Anymore if it has a circle around the mouth its automatically a "hornet". The name hornet came from the alternating colored skirt, like the alternating yellow and black stripe on the back of a Hornet Bee. Of course this statement is not toward you, just a little information on how the Hornet was named.

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion and it dont mean much.... Looks like you got Lemon Drops to me and not African Blues. African Blues are Caribbean and typically have small polyps, atleast all of the ones I get in are small.
Either way, you got a great deal and in my opinion the Lemon Drops are much nicer and hardier than the African Blues.
Its amazing how name from from African Blues to African Blue Hornets when they look nothing like a Purple Hornet. Anymore if it has a circle around the mouth its automatically a "hornet". The name hornet came from the alternating colored skirt, like the alternating yellow and black stripe on the back of a Hornet Bee. Of course this statement is not toward you, just a little information on how the Hornet was named.

good info on the hornets. now i know :tongue:

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen many Zoanthids with a circle around the mouth automatically called hornets. I've seen most of them called "deep water zoanthids." If you look on any website, for Blue Hornets, or African Blue Hornets, you'll find pics that look identical to mine. These are very small polyps, unlike the Lemon Drops, which are also a very nice Zoanthid. IMO, if anything, they most closely resembly AOIs, except for the very small polyp size. I'd estimate that the polyps are about 1/2 the size of any of my other Zoanthids.

The Purple Hornets, do have the alternating skirt colors, but I've yet to see any "Blue Hornets" with the alternating skirt, though they do seem to have an alternating color pattern on each skirt tentacle.

I'm not at all arguing that these are Purple Hornets, as I know they aren't. I do believe that the Purple Hornets are a totally different Zoanthid. I think that they're all basically an Indonesian Deep Water Zoanthid.

reefnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
African blues and PH's

african blues and PH's next to each other.

regarding blue and purple hornets...they are one in the same imo... my rock that is blasted with 20k 400Ws, are royal blue... frag of same colony under 12k in a slighty shaded area, is true purple.

Desktop.jpg

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
african blues and PH's next to each other.

regarding blue and purple hornets...they are one in the same imo... my rock that is blasted with 20k 400Ws, are royal blue... frag of same colony under 12k in a slighty shaded area, is true purple.

Desktop.jpg

nice pic what what do you mean purple and blue hornets are one in the same? they are 2 different polyps.. I got both and there a difference in color

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic I just took of my purple hornets vs. blue hornets. I have both of these high light right next to eachother so I don't believe in any of that stuff where "they're the same, just change when u put them high/low light!) Here's proof that they're diff.

purple on bottom. blue on top.
010-1.jpg

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry lost here, but we are still discussing, African Blues ( fake hornets ) to True Purple Hornets introduced by reefpets and also True Blue Hornets ??????

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who cares this thread is a year old we all know what were talking about now... right [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back