Blue throat trigger

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS and they only had a big bottle of Imagitarium Bacterial remedy. Hopefully it works, im gonna set up the quarantine tank and put him in there tonight and dose it with remedy.
Did you have your water tested? Id suggest going to a saltwater specific store not a place like petco or other franchise type stores and have them test your water. Medicine wont save your fish if his environment is killing him.

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have your water tested? Id suggest going to a saltwater specific store not a place like petco or other franchise type stores and have them test your water. Medicine wont save your fish if his environment is killing him.
The store i went to was a saltwater specific store, i forgot to bring my water sample though. But one comment made a point that if the corals are doing well (which they are), then its most likely not a water quality problem, but im not sure. The trigger is in quarantine now and i dosed some medication, i tested the quarantine water and everything is normal. Ill see how he does in the next few days. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - yes, FW dips are stressful. However, if a fish dies from a FW dip, it was destined to die in a few days anyway.

I thought I asked, but it seems I didn't - how long have you had the triggerfish? That has some bearing on if the
FW dip is warranted or not. If you've had the fish less than 3 months, then flukes are much ore likely, and that is what a FW dip helps diagnose. If you've had the fish longer than that, then the diagnosis would point more to a bacterial infection.

If you do decide to try a dip, here is some info:

“Freshwater dips” are commonly used to dislodge parasites from the skin of marine fishes. To perform these dips, the fish is captured and placed in a dimly lit dark colored container of clean freshwater the same temperature as the aquarium system it came from. Do not use reverse osmosis or deionized water, as there is no buffer capacity and the pH can drop too low. Dechlorinated tap water is suitable unless it is very acidic. The dip container should be covered with a clear material so that the fish is kept from jumping out, yet can still be observed for overt signs of stress. Hold the fish in the freshwater for five minutes to seven minutes. If acute stress is seen, the dip may need to be terminated early. The idea is to dislodge the parasites, without unduly harming the fish. Many aquarists opt to use reverse osmosis water, and adjust the pH to match the aquarium, but this is simply not necessary if the pH of the freshwater is between 7.5 and 8.5. Some advocate to not aerate the water during the dip, but the water motion from air bubbles can help keep the fish active so that they can be better assessed for stress. Additionally, the air bubbles help dislodge some parasites during the dip process.

Some caveats:
1) Some fish will give extreme reactions to being dipped (hepatus tangs for example), as long as they were swimming well before the dip, it is best to ignore that behavior and continue for a full five minutes.
2) Moribund fish can be dipped, but understand that the acute stress from the dip may prove fatal. The dip water should still be checked for parasites in order to possibly help any remaining fish. Moribund would include any fish that was easy to capture or a fish with a respiration rate of 200+ BPM.
3) Choose the type of net wisely, some fish have spines that will become caught in the netting. Have a pair of scissors handy to cut the net if this happens.
4) Dropping a fish while moving it to and from the dip is common, take care. Some fish have venomous spines, so know that before trying to handle any fish.
5) Fish shaking their heads violently after capture is one cause of mechanical exophthalmos (popeye), so try to gently restrain them in the net while moving them.

After the dip let the water settle and look for tiny gray "seeds" or fish scales on the bottom, these are a sign of flukes. They will need to be treated accordingly.

Jay
Thanks you!

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store i went to was a saltwater specific store, i forgot to bring my water sample though. But one comment made a point that if the corals are doing well (which they are), then its most likely not a water quality problem, but im not sure. The trigger is in quarantine now and i dosed some medication, i tested the quarantine water and everything is normal. Ill see how he does in the next few days. Thanks for the help!
The trigger is doing better. He is eating again and swimming around.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 45 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back