Bowsers Story Time?

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on my local section of RC was asking to help identify the differences between Candy Apple Reds (CARs), Candy Apple Oranges (CAO), Shazaams, and Bowsers. This gets brought up a lot so hopefully this post becomes a reference for other zoa addicts trying to understand the difference.

Comparing CARs to CAOs:

Here is a photo I took when I had both. Both morphs were grown right next to each other so they had the same amount of lighting, flow, and parameters.

CAOs on left, CARs on right:
CAOvsCAR2.jpg

The main difference between CAO and CARs is that CAOs get a yellow/orange ring in the middle. CARs can develop a yellow ring in higher lighting, but it won't be as bright or solid as a CAO's and it will take more effort to achieve the yellow ring than on a CAO.

These are the same CARs as above, but grown in higher lighting before I moved them into the frag tank. You can see that the yellow rings developed on some of the polyps, but it's usually only the very mature ones that get the ring and the yellow is not as solid/vibrant as the CAOs.
IMG_8372.jpg

These are Shazaams (photo credit goes to The Digital Fish Room).
I usually distinguish these from the speckled green on the face and the orange to yellow face. The green tips are also very distinguished. IMO these are very easy to tell apart from the others and shouldn't cause too much confusion.
shazaam_22829.jpg

Here is another from Chopsie.
11842826706_59aa4aea72_b.jpg

And now... Bowsers.

There's a couple of lineages on this one and I finally found the story behind each of them.

The Originals
Aquarium in Motion/Jay Painter (owner of AIM I believe):

This is the one and true Bowser. Notice how the orange-yellow ting is the DOMINANT coloration of the face. The Bowser needs to have almost all of the face yellow-orange to be on the same class as the AIM lineage. It is not how solid or bright the ring is, it's how much of the orange actually covers the face. The green in the middle is very small compared to the yellow-orange ring in the AIM Bowser. I haven't come across this lineage in my years of collecting and even asked the only person who I knew had this morph. He also agreed that most of the morphs out in the hobby are not the same. I know he had them because his photos on google are one of the few that actually are the AIM Bowsers. There are a few places that are selling AM/Jay Painter lineaged Bowsers, but I can't help but wonder how did fraggable size mini colonies of AIM Bowsers, which have essentially disappeared off the Earth popped out of nowhere? It would be great if the lineage behind those sources could be told with proof tracing all the way back to AIM.
IMG_0223.jpg

And now for the Bowsers you're used to seeing:

Dream Corals (DC) Bowsers:
This seems to be the "real" Bowser for the hobby now. The story behind this is that Dream Corals purchased the rest of the original colony from AIM and sold them under DC. Most of these polyps melted and when asked for a replacement DC mentioned that they got in a new colony of "Bowsers." When the replacements were sent, they looked nowhere near the same as the AIM version. This is because DC got a wild colony of CARs that were "brighter than regular CARs" and sold them off as DC Bowsers. So this lineage is not the same as the AIM Bowsers. They're just some wild CARs like the ones coming in now.

Dream Coral's lineage Bowser, photo credit to SinperSPS:
bowser.jpg

Cornbred (CB) Bowsers:
Originating from Joshporksandwich, these were found in a hobbyist home and ended up coloring into CAOs in his extensive care (a few times people have CAOs but don't have the right conditions to color them up to CAOs, that's my guess anyways). CB was originally selling these as CB CAOs until others starting to purchase and resell them as "Bowsers" so he changed the name to Bowsers.

Before of the CB Bowsers when first arrived in Josh's care (I believe this frag is the same as the below colony):
8285417007_191220e715_c.jpg

One month later:
8382725499_fb56cc0379_c.jpg

What CB uses for stock photo:
IMG_6326_1024x1024.jpg%3Fv%3D1372472088

Summary:
So hope the lineage story was helpful, and that you enjoyed reading this! Took me a long time to find this one out and a little bit of luck by talking to the right people. I guess the moral of the story is that the Bowsers you see in the market aren't actually Bowsers, or maybe the way hobbyist grade zoas has changed and we no longer associated the orange face for Bowsers but only look for the orange ring.

Last edited:

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MADD props for putting all this together bro! Hopefully now everyone can understand the true story behind the real Bowsers.

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. But I think it would help if I could see then in my tank :)
Might need a new car :( it's not opening fully

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up Darwin, was thinking of getting some bowsers very soon and reading this made me more convinced that I need to find the original bowsers, it would be more worthwhile IMO

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the write up I dont think it exists any longer.

Awesome write up Darwin, was thinking of getting some bowsers very soon and reading this made me more convinced that I need to find the original bowsers, it would be more worthwhile IMO

OP
OP
buddythelion

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it's still around. But instead of buying a Bowser, you can pay less for a CAO and basically get the same thing as what others are selling as Bowsers. :)

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one last year at a coral conference, I sure wish I bought it but didn't, I think it was zoanthid.com booth, anyway my original cornbread candy apple reds in the middle are almost candy apple oranges :) maybe in a few months or more they'll be bowsers :D I wonder if repetitive dipping in hydrogen peroxide stresses the coral to be brighter... hmmm may have to experiment.

left to right - car from friends tank that he broke down, center Cb car, right unknown car but larger polyp

Last edited:

extremecoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAR to CAO, CAO to CAR are all due to lighting, and where you put. Bowsers never changed their colors, no matter where you put. Shazams have green splashes on skirts and can morph depending on type of lights you're using. Recent "Bowsers" on the market is the one looks like CB photo.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up D!!!.. If anyone has real JP Bowsers let me know..lol I saw the ones that zoanthids.com were selling and they just do not look right to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buddythelion

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would of been nice to have been asked but hey ho
Ahhh, sorry Chopsie and pork! The photos were the best I found on google for examples and I hoped that saying who took the photo was credit? I can take them down if needed.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, sorry Chopsie and pork! The photos were the best I found on google for examples and I hoped that saying who took the photo was credit? I can take them down if needed.

I'll let you use them if you send me one of thos baller legendary frag packs lol. Good job bro!!!!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back