9348367062_bdaf1ab933_b.jpg

9348363244_f15d0ee4d9_b.jpg

d16anielle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go Darwin! That must of took a lot of time but you really did your research and put up some great examples!

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pic of Bowsers that I got from Josh. Looking good and growing great!
IMG_0999.jpg

WOOT WOOT!!!!!! I'm going to have to give you my colony so you can make it look like that!!!!!! I had a filefish encounter and It ate like 40 polyps from my mother colony. now my 60 or so left look horrible :cry::cry::cry:

d16anielle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOOT WOOT!!!!!! I'm going to have to give you my colony so you can make it look like that!!!!!! I had a filefish encounter and It ate like 40 polyps from my mother colony. now my 60 or so left look horrible :cry::cry::cry:

Oh no...I'm so sorry to hear! =(

Igarc009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great story, AIM was located in my town but closed down due to the economy. I never knew they originated the bowser though

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! Thank you...I'm not sure what I'm more impressed by...the time, research, and daisy chaining it took OR the fact that you took the most debated/controversial polyp(s) and gave very definitive spot on assessments with elaboration, and only needed HALF the amount of words that were needed in past threads just like this one! LOL

Again, great job!

hlem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bowser!!
View All - VooDoo Paly - INTRO OFFER - Zoanthids - Zoanthid Frags - Zoanthid Coral - Zoanthid Polyps - Zoanthus
The Originals
Aquarium in Motion/Jay Painter (owner of AIM I believe):

This is the one and true Bowser. Notice how the orange-yellow ting is the DOMINANT coloration of the face. The Bowser needs to have almost all of the face yellow-orange to be on the same class as the AIM lineage. It is not how solid or bright the ring is, it's how much of the orange actually covers the face. The green in the middle is very small compared to the yellow-orange ring in the AIM Bowser. I haven't come across this lineage in my years of collecting and even asked the only person who I knew had this morph. He also agreed that most of the morphs out in the hobby are not the same. I know he had them because his photos on google are one of the few that actually are the AIM Bowsers. There are a few places that are selling AM/Jay Painter lineaged Bowsers, but I can't help but wonder how did fraggable size mini colonies of AIM Bowsers, which have essentially disappeared off the Earth popped out of nowhere? It would be great if the lineage behind those sources could be told with proof tracing all the way back to AIM.
IMG_0223.jpg

And now for the Bowsers you're used to seeing:

Dream Corals (DC) Bowsers:
This seems to be the "real" Bowser for the hobby now. The story behind this is that Dream Corals purchased the rest of the original colony from AIM and sold them under DC. Most of these polyps melted and when asked for a replacement DC mentioned that they got in a new colony of "Bowsers." When the replacements were sent, they looked nowhere near the same as the AIM version. This is because DC got a wild colony of CARs that were "brighter than regular CARs" and sold them off as DC Bowsers. So this lineage is not the same as the AIM Bowsers. They're just some wild CARs like the ones coming in now.

Dream Coral's lineage Bowser, photo credit to SinperSPS:
bowser.jpg

Cornbred (CB) Bowsers:
Originating from Joshporksandwich, these were found in a hobbyist home and ended up coloring into CAOs in his extensive care (a few times people have CAOs but don't have the right conditions to color them up to CAOs, that's my guess anyways). CB was originally selling these as CB CAOs until others starting to purchase and resell them as "Bowsers" so he changed the name to Bowsers.

Before of the CB Bowsers when first arrived in Josh's care (I believe this frag is the same as the below colony):
8285417007_191220e715_c.jpg

One month later:
8382725499_fb56cc0379_c.jpg

What CB uses for stock photo:
IMG_6326_1024x1024.jpg%3Fv%3D1372472088

Summary:
So hope the lineage story was helpful, and that you enjoyed reading this! Took me a long time to find this one out and a little bit of luck by talking to the right people. I guess the moral of the story is that the Bowsers you see in the market aren't actually Bowsers, or maybe the way hobbyist grade zoas has changed and we no longer associated the orange face for Bowsers but only look for the orange ring.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great write up! Thank you...I'm not sure what I'm more impressed by...the time, research, and daisy chaining it took OR the fact that you took the most debated/controversial polyp(s) and gave very definitive spot on assessments with elaboration, and only needed HALF the amount of words that were needed in past threads just like this one! LOL

Again, great job!

+1! Clear, concise, concrete! An absolutely great write up!!

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait and see my bowsers. I've been cultivating them for a longtime now.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back