Breeding System Setup Advice!!!!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow I am surprised it did not have a single return on one side and a single over flow on the other. It seems to be open between each compartment is that correct?

I would come out of each overflow to a larger single drain pipe. I would break up the return to 4 with a ball valve for each return to regulate the flow through each.

tdurr7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow piping seem small. I would def plumb the four overflows into a larger pipe manifold running the length of the tank and make sure to "t" a line going up past the height of the tanks to help the overflows catch extra air. Helps reduce suction and noise. Spend the money and add a ball valve on each tank return valve so you can regulate the flow.

tdurr7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture but I hope you can see what I mean. I ran one return line from the pump to my six tanks and branches it off and added a ball valve for each tank. The overflows all 90 into a header and then to the sump. Each shelf has its own overflow header that goes into the sump. My overflow piping is all 1" and just isn't big enough for the six tanks, so I am in the process of making the headers all 2". Trust me make the header bigger than you think.
image_zps3eaffc84.jpg

Last edited:

Ch3tt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking setup! Mine is actually setup very similar. Did you end up putting the growout on the top shelf? How is that working out? I was always nervous to put anything up that high. Here is a photo of my setup for reference.
image.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice looking setup! Mine is actually setup very similar. Did you end up putting the growout on the top shelf? How is that working out? I was always nervous to put anything up that high. Here is a photo of my setup for reference.
image.jpg

Nice setup...

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I thought any tank on the top would be to high. I'm going to buy another rack, and have the growout in the middle shelf and the hatchery tanks on the bottom.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ch3tt when I saw your setup on MOFIB, I like your setup look. I actually bought the same rack but in a 60" wide, where yours a 72" wide. If you notice mine looks grey because I spray painted with rustoleum.
As for the growout tank, No I thought any tank on the top would be to high. I'm going to buy another rack, and have the growout in the middle shelf and the hatchery tanks on the bottom.

Ch3tt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! i love these racks, they are pretty awesome. I kind of wish i would have done 2 60" wide ones too though. I get a very slight bow in the middle shelf which i fixed with the heavy duty tie down strap. We are actually in the process of building a new home right now and i am very excited because i'm going to have 2500 sq feet of unfinished basement for my new fish room! Needless to say i am going to be adding a whole lot more tanks and lots of awesome new clowns! Your broodstock is very impressive. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my Brookstock
Female Bali AquaRich Black Picasso bonded immediately with a Super Picasso
MyCFBreedingSystem045_zpsedff53cd.jpg

SA Fancy Snowflake last these spawned July 4th, I guess the move interrupted their cycle. It will be soon since the others are spawning.
myclownfish011_zps71971383.jpg

F1 Picasso Female Adult...she alone still looking for a nice Male for her.
myclownfish012_zps851f7581.jpg

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking pairs Johnny. The first pair looks super Terrific :)

What's the plans with the last picasso? Going to stay percula or maybe mix it up and make a hybrid pair?

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Will surely make for a nice pair. Beautiful fish you have.

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Johnny, I think this would be a good opportunity for you to split your investment. I would keep both systems separate to protect your investment. If something goes bad and you start losing fish for any reason it won't stop your operation. That's what I do. I keep 4-6 broodstock pairs per system. I often thought about keeping them all together to ease my maintenance but it's worth the extra work to add a little security.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back