Breeding System Setup Advice!!!!

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Awesome looking stock! They look happy. Good job man.

Have the black ice spawned for you yet?

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rob, not yet! Still waiting...the female seem to be doing something to get the male to start..lol I will take a movie. and see if you have any thoughts.

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, let's check it out. They biting at the pot at least? Sleeping in the pot? Staying in the pot and keeping it clean? All those are good signs of nesting.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Just got back from Lowe's pickup the stand-alone shelving, assemble and spray with rustoleum paint. Each shelf has a max weight of 1500lb.
Before I start the plumbing, after looking at the picture need your opinion. What do you think of the grow-out tank on the top shelf.
And the sump on the bottom shelf?
2013-07-1419_49_08-NewSystem_zps9707ec99.jpg

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it as is and keep the hatchery tanks on a separate stand. I think it'll be easier to work with that way. Who made your broodstock tank I've been looking to have something similar made.

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like how you have it set up. I would definitely not put the hatcheries in the mix. They need lots of attention and I find having them grouped in their own area works nicely at about waste-chest level.

I would even consider using that top shelf for storage. Having the growout so high up might prove to be troublesome during routibe maintenance.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gar732, appreciate your feedback! I was thinking to leave it like is and remove the grow-out tank from above. It seem too high. I'll get another stand and put a few 10G or 20L. The breeder tank and sump was build by John, Advance Acrylic. Over the years he has built different types of tank depending on my application. He knows his sh$T..LOL and reasonable.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob, also appreciate your input. Yes agree with you to keep the hatchery apart. Thanks If other breeder expert here have any input please don't be shy!

coraltastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aint no breeder expert but, I would have to agree with rob if u have the space have the hatcheries in a separate location. If u can put a devider in between them and the broodstock. When u have to have the lights on 24/7 for the fry it might miss with the broodstocks day/night routine.

Last edited:

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info in the builder. Is he local for you? Hoping he ships.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mracrylics 36074 said:
Thanks for the info in the builder. he local for you? Hoping he ships.

Acrylic creations is another company that does something similar. I have had him make a frag tank for me and is making me another. After that he is making me a four compartment brood stock tank.. he does custom and shipping is very reasonable.

Advanced acylics I have heard good things about too.

Last edited:

tdurr7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two shelve units just like the ones you have and you need to put some plywood on top of the wire racks. 1/2 in or thicker (pressure treated) and cut it a little wider so it sits on the metal supports (a sheet ripped exactly down the middle worked perfect for me). Also you could pull out the bottom wire rack (leave the metal support) and set the sump on the floor and move the middle shelf down a little and add another shelf for your growout tank. Just went thru this all with my setup!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two shelve units just like the ones you have and you need to put some plywood on top of the wire racks. 1/2 in or thicker (pressure treated) and cut it a little wider so it sits on the metal supports (a sheet ripped exactly down the middle worked perfect for me). Also you could pull out the bottom wire rack (leave the metal support) and set the sump on the floor and move the middle shelf down a little and add another shelf for your growout tank. Just went thru this all with my setup!

I agree, I was going to state this last night but I was on my tablet and hate typing. Those shelves may hold allot of weight but that dont mean they still dont sag in the middle some with some weight. Plywood will give it some rigidity, plus acrylic tank require a very flat surface. I would also use styro insulation under them, acrylic really likes a flat surface. . I was going to go this route on my new breeding system but so far have just built my own stand.

Like I said I have one frag tank with another on the way. I am than looking a 4 compartment brood-stock tank with sump and 4 grow out and two larvae/fry tanks. One rotifer grow tank and one possible copepod tank.

Last edited:

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the clowns
It will be cool to see how some of the combos come out with the off spring

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To what shred5 said the plywood will help distribute the waot evenly and woth a bigger surface area

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, justcameback from Lowe's with 1/2" plywood, just finish cutting the 54" x17" for the shelves. Going to paint them black. Will start the plumbing after the plywoodare dry.
Question on the return pump? I'll be using my existing Reelo Hybrid Snapper.How should I plumb into the (4) chamber tank? Overflow's are 1/2' and the returns are 3/4"

Breedertank_zps417430ea.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back