Brown Jelly Disease :(

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had success with iodine soln. Batting .500 in saving yellow wall hammer Euphyllia.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'll pick some up. How much should I use?

curtisbenm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost two of my favorite Acans recently to bjd :( I used revive and put them in the fowlr tank. I also run uv and do small weekly water changes. Hang in there Shep.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly, it is amazing how fast it can take down a coral. I saved a avleapora and goniopra. Iodine dips were not working and every day the brown jelly came back. I knew they would die. So much of the coral was gone. I resorted to peroxide. I did 2 dips of peroxide for 2 days. After that iodine twice a day for a week. Just to be save. Both came back and no sign of brown jelly on either. Its been about 7 months. Just read up on mixture and soaking time. Peroxide is strong. For me a last resort.

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had brown jelly recently appear on one the heads of my torch I just moved fast and removed that head problem solved.

Is it possible you can cut the bad piece off I had it wipe out a 24 head duncan in a matter of 24 hours :(

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had brown jelly recently appear on one the heads of my torch I just moved fast and removed that head problem solved.

Is it possible you can cut the bad piece off I had it wipe out a 24 head duncan in a matter of 24 hours :(
It was a small frag so the BJ was covering almost 100% of the coral, I just took it out of the tank, I knew there was no saving that one.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I had beaten it but Saw today that a second acan was part of the way covered, I sucked off as much of it as I could and dipped it in Bayer (the iodine has not come in yet). Will Bayer even do anything to it? Also what can I use to cut the acan apart to remove the diseased area?

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Iodine just came in, just went ahead and dipped the acan in iodine as well.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you luck. I dipped at night before lights out or right after it. For me it always seemed brown jelly comes out at night. A cleaning of the coral before it would get effected helped. Sometimes a dip in morning as well.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you luck. I dipped at night before lights out or right after it. For me it always seemed brown jelly comes out at night. A cleaning of the coral before it would get effected helped. Sometimes a dip in morning as well.
Going to dip once a day I think and preemptively dip any corals that look like they are about to get it.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Iodine just came in, just went ahead and dipped the acan in iodine as well.
Shep, how are the other inhabitants doing, any additional corals affected?

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shep, how are the other inhabitants doing, any additional corals affected?
None yet, there is one that is showing signs (it looks like the other two did before they developed it) all the other acans are open and very healthy looking. I currently do not feed them but I might start.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know the signs ?
Corals wont open and there will literally be a brown "jelly covering it". Trust me, you'll know it when you see it.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I had beaten it but Saw today that a second acan was part of the way covered, I sucked off as much of it as I could and dipped it in Bayer (the iodine has not come in yet). Will Bayer even do anything to it? Also what can I use to cut the acan apart to remove the diseased area?
I don't believe the Bayer will help.I am in agreement that a iodine dip and the immediate removal of effected areas/colonies is the best course of action.Definitely bump up the frequency of small water changes as well.As far as fragging goes,get yourself some good wire clippers from the hardware store.It's not as good as a wet saw but you can cut through thinner acans with them.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to do a water change today again, the acan has it but it looks like there is less than there was yesterday. I just re-dipped it in iodine, would like suggestions on how much iodine and for how long.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 153 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back