OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they recent frags could be damaged ect.

I had my huge duncan wipes out right beside my hammer around 3 months ago my massive wall hammer is unaffected it's how it is seems to go for the weak or damaged :(
None of them were newly fragged :(

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have time to read the whole thread, but I had success saving my Duncan by hydrogen peroxide dipping, swishing it around and GENTLY manually removing all the jelly I could.

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a bummer man, I recently lost all but one of my acans despite my best efforts no other lps affected only acans I dont think it was bjd but I feel your pain hang in there

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry haven't read the whole thread yet, just stumbled on it. Did tropic marine pro coral cure. It's a iodine based product.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Driving can't read :)

I did 3 drops iodine in 1 cup water for 10 mins every other day for 3 total dips. Out of maybe 100 different acans in the tank only 6 were infected and the cause is still unknown. It started with 2 and spread randomly.

Good luck (unless you've already cured the problem)
Lights green gotta go

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the support, I have tried iodine but I will go ahead and try tropic marine pro coral cure and see how it works and I'll give a Hydrogen peroxide as a last ditch . At this point I am just worried if it's too late to stem the tide but I'll go down fighting! lol I have put the surviving ones in a high flow area to try and keep the disease from building up but I will not know if that's doing anything until tomorrow during my new hobby of collecting dead frags to throw away

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide dip saved a goniopora and avleopora. I did not use full strength. But if your tank is stressed. Brown jelly will spread to all weak or stressed. Increase flow did no work for me. Jelly found an area where it could. Also may have stressed coral more. Another thing that helped. Was the dipping before lights out and again in morning. But i also moved the coral away from the area where it got infected.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide dip saved a goniopora and avleopora. I did not use full strength. But if your tank is stressed. Brown jelly will spread to all weak or stressed. Increase flow did no work for me. Jelly found an area where it could. Also may have stressed coral more. Another thing that helped. Was the dipping before lights out and again in morning. But i also moved the coral away from the area where it got infected.
I'll give it a try! At this point I'll try pretty much anything but human sacrifice lol

JSeward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped a pretty nasty brown jelly outbreak by dipping the infected corals in furan 2 followed by hydrogen peroxide. The furan 2 dip was pretty strong with a whole packet in only a few cups of tank water for over an hour. I don't remember the peroxide ratios, but I monitored the coral closely and removed it once the trademark peroxide bubbles started to form. Only lost a few heads and I haven't seen it since.

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry shep well band together and get you some new acans if it comes to it ;)

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah brown jelly disease sucks.. I bought a head of frog spawn a couple of weeks ago that looked great.. Less than 10 hours later it had completely disintegrated
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1433689410.387293.jpg

I tried doing an iodine dip but the disease is so fast acting that It didn't do any good.. Luckily it did not spread to my other LPS at least not thus far! You did the right thing by getting it out of the tank as quick as you did.. Hopefully you don't have any other outbreaks

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it all works out for you, I had a run in with brown jelly disese and didn't even know it was a thing, glad my corals survived without me doing anything.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just want to Thank you all for the help and support it was great of you all to lend your advice. but I'm sad to report that my last acan went to the great coral reef in the sky this morning :( I tried everything but it won in the end.

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just want to Thank you all for the help and support it was great of you all to lend your advice. but I'm sad to report that my last acan went to the great coral reef in the sky this morning :( I tried everything but it won in the end.

Sorry to hear that.. [emoji22] brown jelly doesn't play

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shep, I had an acan that was stung and got brown jelly. I sucked off all the brown jelly that I could, then took some coral glue and glued over the spot (and a little further). The acan survived and the coral glue eventually fell off (like a scab).

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had good luck stopping the disease in my lps frag tank by using interceptor.

Don't ask how but I saves all my acans lost only a couple colonies with just one treatment.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had good luck stopping the disease in my lps frag tank by using interceptor.

Don't ask how but I saves all my acans lost only a couple colonies with just one treatment.
Have not heard of that working but I will have to look into it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 144 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back