Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manny try Vibrant for that - there is a thread here on it. just GO SLOW will lower your Phos and No2 really fast. Can bring on some Cyano if you go fast.
I used to vodka dose. He needs to adjust his dose lower and it will go away. Adding more bacteria might not be a good thing. He doesn't have a bad bacteria, just too much :)

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 plus sump with a little more than moderate amount of GHA does not look like it will be knocked out. 10 days in and die off has slowed. Used 1400 mg of tablets. I was thinking that perhaps best practice for my tank may have been as follows.
Manual removal of most GHA during h2o chng.
Treat with vibrant, h2o2 and fluconazole.
Increase lighting to 12 hrs on tank and sump.
Remove carbon.
Do not skim.
Run gfo.
I hope I have the info supplied in this thread correct. Anyone see a problem? GFO does not remove meds if my memory serves me correct. This would be the ultimate assault. Also dosing h2o2 would be under advisement that it would kill any shrimp and perhaps other clean up crew members. What do you think?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 plus sump with a little more than moderate amount of GHA does not look like it will be knocked out. 10 days in and die off has slowed. Used 1400 mg of tablets. I was thinking that perhaps best practice for my tank may have been as follows.
Remove carbon.
Do not skim.
Run gfo.
I hope I have the info supplied in this thread correct. Anyone see a problem? GFO does not remove meds if my memory serves me correct. This would be the ultimate assault. Also dosing h2o2 would be under advisement that it would kill any shrimp and perhaps other clean up crew members. What do you think?
Personally I would not do all 3 at once (I feel like it will be a lot on the livestock) but other people might.

I think: Pull what's long, skimmer off, carbon off, gfo on, dose fluconazole. I would maybe beef up the cuc a little too.

I intend to give it a 2nd shot as well. 99% gone but roots are all there. I have additional munching inverts arriving tomorrow. Doing a wc Saturday then dosing when the meds arrive mid week.
Edit: I would leave your lights at what they normally are.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so 14 days and then if I need more dose more ? or should I dose again a week at a half dose?
80g 8 200mg capsules. Skimmer off or on lowest setting with cup off. Gfo is ok, no carbon. 14 days. If it isn't 100% gone then it depends on what's left. You may not need it. How bad is your bryopsis or gha?

natalia la loca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, a friend just made the fluconazole treatment (100% success killing BR), but he report euphyllias dying 3 days after treatment (1 case does do not say anything but wondering...). Anyone with euphyllias issues?

On Friday I added my first full dose of flucon to my reefbowl. After that, my euphyllia, blasto, and 2 of my acans were scrunched up for a day or two. No ill effects for acros, montis, zoas, gonis, or nephthea. All LPS are fine now.

The flucon killed one strain of algae, but another--pale green stringy threads with a feathery structure that I assumed was some kind of bryopsis--is still growing. This weekend I'm going to do a 100% water change and add another full dose of flucon.

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to tank you NCreefguy for personally posting this thread. I am day 13 and all Bryopsis and GHA is gone. I am so relieved! Great job. I am spreading the success with others
20170203_125401.jpeg
20170203_125402.jpeg
20170207_111221.jpeg
20170216_095715.jpeg
20170216_095818.jpeg

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to vodka dose. He needs to adjust his dose lower and it will go away. Adding more bacteria might not be a good thing. He doesn't have a bad bacteria, just too much :)

Just curious, why would lowering nutrients fast bring on cyano?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure these have been answered but the thread is too long to find out.

-What is a ATS? The FAQ says it should be taken offline.

-In the FAQ is says H2O2 and Vibrant can be continued and dosed. It only says continued and does not say that its required and/or part of the treatment plan. So is Vibrant and H2O2 part of this treatment plan AND required or is it only an option? If its only an option is there more success when dosing both?

Since i came up with these questions and im sure im not the only one, maybe my questions should be part of the FAQ?

Thanks!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure these have been answered but the thread is too long to find out.

-What is a ATS? The FAQ says it should be taken offline.

-In the FAQ is says H2O2 and Vibrant can be continued and dosed. It only says continued and does not say that its required and/or part of the treatment plan. So is Vibrant and H2O2 part of this treatment plan AND required or is it only an option? If its only an option is there more success when dosing both?

Since i came up with these questions and im sure im not the only one, maybe my questions should be part of the FAQ?

Thanks!

An ATS stands for an algae turf scrubber. It's a type of nutrient export where you harvest algae to remove nitrate and phosphate. As the algae on the ATS might be killed by the fluconazole, it's best to take it offline.

H202 and vibrant are not needed for this treatment. The treatment is fluconazole alone. Some individuals are also dosing h202, vibrant, amino acids, carbon dosing, 2 part, balling methods, etc. All of these are fine to continue and will not interfere with the fluconazole, however none are needed for this to be successful.

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seeing how quickly it works on gha and bryopsis I assume it destroys all macros. did anyone notice chaeto or RED algaes getting destroyed? I have a red algae hitch hiker that unfortunately shares a home with GHA.

DJMaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following the thread for a week now. I got 20 pills yesterday & dosed 2000mg last. Fingers crossed my tank starts to look like NCreefguys in a few days. Thanks for posting this thread & the work you have done so far.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove carbon.
Do not skim.
Run gfo.

My gha didn't get completely wiped out after the 14 days. I decided to do a 2nd dose. 2-3 days into the 2nd treatment. Gha is turning white faster vs 1st treatment. I figured hit it again since it was hurting from the 1st treatment.

This round I removed my filter sock and cup from my skimmer. I use my skimmer to reduce CO2 levels (air intact pulls outside air) so just the cup is off and I reduced bubble height.

Last edited:

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seeing how quickly it works on gha and bryopsis I assume it destroys all macros. did anyone notice chaeto or RED algaes getting destroyed? I have a red algae hitch hiker that unfortunately shares a home with GHA.

The fluconazole only affects microalgaes that utilize ergosterol. Macros don't utilize ergosterol, so they are not killed by the treatment.

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing carbon dosing can only help as it is helping pull nutrients from the water

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing would only be effective if you were running your skimmer. This might help, but as others have pointed out, it's possible the skimming could remove a portion of the medication. If you are carbon dosing, I suggest continuing so the bacterial population doesn't crash, however if you remove your skimmer, you won't be lowering your phosphate/nitrate during treatment.

Given how much a PITA bryopsis can be, my viewpoint is that bryopsis takes priority and if I have to do a couple more water changes after treatment to lower my nutrient levels, that's a fraction of the work I would have put towards battling the bryopsis :). Sometimes you can't hit two birds with one stone, but given the magic bullet fluconazole has been, who's complaining :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 68 40.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back