Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the kole tang @Ru_dark. Hope he makes it! I find it hard to believe that Fluconazole had anything to do with this though, unless maybe the kole ate a bunch of it when it was added to the tank. Still doubt it. I also added mine after the fish went to bed, but its used to treat fish sooooo.
I know, that's why this is so freaking irritating...

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol no no, I used 7 capsules
Ok, whew! Lol, still about 1 more then needed but that is no big deal.

I agree with Steve, the fluconazole should not have caused the Kole's condition. Maybe he was already sick and not showing it? How new to the tank is he?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its easy math with 200mg capsules. # of capsules times 2, then add two zero's. Check the math by dividing the number by ammount of water being treated.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its easy math with 200mg capsules. # of capsules times 2, then add two zero's. Check the math by dividing the number by ammount of water being treated.
Or 1- 200mg capsule for every 10g of wv. That's how I do it [emoji4]

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa. calm down lol, I've got at least 70 gallons of water in my system, 65 gallon dt and a 20 gallon sump. The tang has been in the system about 5 months now and he was definitely not sick already, this was definitely a side effect of the medication, be it designed for fish or not, but with that being said for all we know my tang has a heart condition and the med gave him a dang stroke

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa. calm down lol, I've got at least 70 gallons of water in my system, 65 gallon dt and a 20 gallon sump. The tang has been in the system about 5 months now and he was definitely not sick already, this was definitely a side effect of the medication, be it designed for fish or not, but with that being said for all we know my tang has a heart condition and the med gave him a dang stroke
Lol, your dose was fine then.

That's true, hopefully he'll recover. I had an orange shoulder for a year that was perfectly healthy and found him dead at the bottom of my tank with no apparent reason still looking healthy. I still think my powder blue frightened him to death. But I will never know for sure.

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I'm 5 days in and my bryopsis is trying white! About how many days in did it take for people to see it disappear?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish , @melypr1985 , @4FordFamily , @eatbreakfast , @Randy Holmes-Farley , @JimWelsh and anyone feel free to add more experts to this request.

Please reference above to @Ru_dark and his kole tang. I think this is the first reported fish reaction to a single dose of Fluconazole @20mg per 10g while treating a tank for Bryopsis algae.

There has also been reports of negative effects to species of Euphyllia, as well concern for chaetomorpha and other macro algae's.

Thanks!

trill22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through a lot of the thread and see that removing carbon and GFO are suggested since they remove the medication. And that biopellets are ok to run. Anyone run Phosguard through the treatment? Or should it be removed as well?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through a lot of the thread and see that removing carbon and GFO are suggested since they remove the medication. And that biopellets are ok to run. Anyone run Phosguard through the treatment? Or should it be removed as well?

Good question. I dont think there will be a problem, but lets see who else chimes in.

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming "disappear" means, there is none to be seen or left. So yes 14-21 days for bryopsis. Possibly Another week depending on your setup.
As of now it's still in the same for., just white. After 14 days would I need to re-dose?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 74.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back