Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My macros are fine. Weird thing is that my fuge is still loaded with Bryopsis and GHA. That part I don't understand so much. But glad it is there and not in my DT. Anyone have the same experience?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing would only be effective if you were running your skimmer. This might help, but as others have pointed out, it's possible the skimming could remove a portion of the medication. If you are carbon dosing, I suggest continuing so the bacterial population doesn't crash, however if you remove your skimmer, you won't be lowering your phosphate/nitrate during treatment.

Given how much a PITA bryopsis can be, my viewpoint is that bryopsis takes priority and if I have to do a couple more water changes after treatment to lower my nutrient levels, that's a fraction of the work I would have put towards battling the bryopsis :). Sometimes you can't hit two birds with one stone, but given the magic bullet fluconazole has been, who's complaining :)
+1!

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
day 4 - 250L tank

NO3 = 0 (dosing 4ml NOPOX per day)
PO4 = 0.036 (dosing 1ml Lanthanum Chloride per day) GFO / GAC STILL OFF

Skimmer running from day 2. Still pulling lots out.

All I can say is OMG!

Bryopsis Pennata is already disappearing and turning very light green!

Water is a little cloudy, normally run with no filter socks, but have now put in a filter 200micro mesh bag in to catch the floating algae :)

Reminder to all, what I have done is when I dosed the Fluconazole, I used a turkey baster and with all pumps off, I target covered all main areas of bryopsis and left the pumps off for 30 mins.

CUC not yet attacking areas, I'll move them by hand if they don't start eating it soon.

P2160001.JPG
P2160002.JPG
P2160004.JPG

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My macros are fine. Weird thing is that my fuge is still loaded with Bryopsis and GHA. That part I don't understand so much. But glad it is there and not in my DT. Anyone have the same experience?
That's very interesting! Was anything at all in the refugium effected? Do you have any kind of clean up crew in it? Maybe you could isolate the fuge for 30min-an hour and target dose then return to normal.

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that ergosterol and anything else affected causes the plant to be weak to light? That would explain the death from the tip down.

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very interesting! Was anything at all in the refugium effected? Do you have any kind of clean up crew in it? Maybe you could isolate the fuge for 30min-an hour and target dose then return to normal.
Have not done anything with the fuge. Turned off skimmer for 10 days and stopped the reactor. Other than that I did nothing. It is weird. I don't quite get it. I have live rock, mud, and Chaeto in the fuge. Opposite light schedule from DT. Hmm. Not sure what the deal is. But like I said, doesn't worry me much down there. Just curious of others results.

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that ergosterol and anything else affected causes the plant to be weak to light? That would explain the death from the tip down.
Not sure. I run a LED bar light in the fuge. So it gets good light when on. Really odd.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 13 update!
Cleanup crew arrived about an hour ago and are now in the tank munching away.
20170216_154254.jpg

As most of you know I put the cup back on my skimmer and begin skimming on day 8. I had also pulled long strands from a couple of sections after having dosed fluconazole. I do believe that pulling the strands when I get hampered its demise. I also believe that I skimmed out medication that was still in the water column. Having said that I am still thrilled with the results as 99% is gone from the system! What is left appears to be roots that are Browning. I'm not sure if that is because it's regrowing or continuing to die. So, after I do a water change this weekend I will do another water change midweek and giving the tank a chance to rest just a little then I intend to dose the tank a second time simply to be sure that everything is gone including roots.

Here are some comparison pictures and tomorrow (day 14) I'll do a video.

2 areas I pulled and had some of the thickest bryopsis on them.
20170131_155312.jpg

20170216_141337.jpg

20170206_134007.jpg

20170216_141406.jpg

Top of the return column in constant high flow and light
20170206_133508.jpg

20170216_141444.jpg

Look, you can now see the plumbing at the bottom between the overflows! Couldn't get a before as it was thick and dark.
20170216_141522.jpg

Fts
20170216_141659.jpg

20170216_141639.jpg

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I dosed fluconazole... within the hour my kole tang was drifting on the Sand bed [emoji24][emoji22], I immediately pulled him and put him into an up and running qt that is med free. Fingers crossed I can bring him back, his gills and still functioning, and he has a little fight in him, I can see it. I'm not sure what the issue was after reading so many personal experiences with success, especially given that this is a fish treatment... anyways I added more surface agitation in the sump to increase gas exchange for my dt. I really hope this guy pulls threw[emoji22]

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I dosed fluconazole... within the hour my kole tang was drifting on the Sand bed [emoji24][emoji22], I immediately pulled him and put him into an up and running qt that is med free. Fingers crossed I can bring him back, his gills and still functioning, and he has a little fight in him, I can see it. I'm not sure what the issue was after reading so many personal experiences with success, especially given that this is a fish treatment... anyways I added more surface agitation in the sump to increase gas exchange for my dt. I really hope this guy pulls threw[emoji22]
Sorry to hear. None of my fish including the Kole even noticed. I did however treat it after lights out. Maybe that makes a difference

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. None of my fish including the Kole even noticed. I did however treat it after lights out. Maybe that makes a difference
possibly, my two platinums, two wrasse, diamond gobi and Catalina haven't flinched, but the kole not so much [emoji17]

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your all doing so awesome on digging for answers!

I have suggested somewhere in this thread that light may play a role in speeding up the treatment. So weak light in the fuge may be a topic. Also for the GHA reefers, the GHA takes longer to kill off than the bryopsis. I didnt start seeing the GHA go down until weeks 3 and 4.

As far as I can see there is no adverse effects, and I have still not done a WC since the 1st dose. Tanks looking great! Have i mentioned there is no skimmer on my 20g? Muahahaha.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possibly, my two platinums, two wrasse, diamond gobi and Catalina haven't flinched, but the kole not so much [emoji17]
Did you use capsules or tablets? Did you also premix with tank water before adding it and in a high flow area? Was the Kole in the immediate area when added? Just trying to see what could have caused it. What is your water volume and how many of what mg meds did you dose?

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use capsules or tablets? Did you also premix with tank water before adding it and in a high flow area? Was the Kole in the immediate area when added? Just trying to see what could have caused it. What is your water volume and how many of what mg meds did you dose?
Pre mixed it with 4 cups of water, added it to right in front of the power head. It's only a 65gallon tank so no mater where the kole was at the time he'd have been pretty deep in the s*** pretty quick lol

20170216_141947.jpeg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your all doing so awesome on digging for answers!

[emoji12] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

I have suggested somewhere in this thread that light may play a role in speeding up the treatment. So weak light in the fuge may be a topic. Also for the GHA reefers, the GHA takes longer to kill off than the bryopsis. I didnt start seeing the GHA go down until weeks 3 and 4.

Yes you did and I concur [emoji4]

As far as I can see there is no adverse effects, and I have still not done a WC since the 1st dose. Tanks looking great! Have i mentioned there is no skimmer on my 20g? Muahahaha.

Wish I could get away with no skimmer! I need mine for drawing in air from outside if no other reason. My tank is generally way too clean and I barely pull skimmate. For a while there I was thinking my skimmer was not doing its job but it was simply that the tank was too clean haha!

My tank looks 1000 times better also! Not only that but the corals seem happier. If you look at the first two pictures in my post you will see the sunset Monti. Look at the difference in coloration and polyps...

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the kole tang @Ru_dark. Hope he makes it! I find it hard to believe that Fluconazole had anything to do with this though, unless maybe the kole ate a bunch of it when it was added to the tank. Still doubt it. I also added mine after the fish went to bed, but its used to treat fish sooooo.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre mixed it with 4 cups of water, added it to right in front of the power head. It's only a 65gallon tank so no mater where the kole was at the time he'd have been pretty deep in the s*** pretty quick lol

20170216_141947.jpeg
That's the right stuff.... you didn't use all of that correct? How many did you use?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 65 39.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 83 50.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back