Bubble in tail of Seahorse please advise

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and thank you in advance for responding. As the title says I have one of my 4 tiger tail seahorses with 2 gas bubbles in it tail. She is eating well moving around the tank albeit upside down due to these air bubbles. No sign of this on the other 3.

Tank parameters
Alk 7.5
Po4 .10
No3 15
Mag 1380
Cal 420
Temp 75— 77

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some more info on this essentialy 250 mg of Diamox ground into a powder and added to a 10 gallon hospital tank. Change out water 100% after 24 hrs and repeat . This should be done for 3 to 5 days.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing to do is to place the seahorse into a hospital tank with new water matching temp, s.g. and pH of display tank. Use artificial means of hitching and have heavy aeration with open ended air lines. You will have to probably change 50% of the water every other day, but monitor for ammonia presence so you can do more frequent changes if needed.
It often happens that this move alone can see improvement in a few days time but if not, as mentioned, you need to treat with Diamox. If a bubble happens to break/open, you may need to treat with Furan II and or Tri-sulpha to prevent bacteria infection.
The next thing you need to do is a LARGE water change coupled with an EXTENSIVE cleaning of the tank, taking much care to locate and remove any unseen/trapped particulate matter. You ALSO have to reassess your husbandry and water change protocols as this problem, like bacterial infections, is due to deteriorating water conditions that as hobbyists we have NO test kits that can advise us the problem exists or is going to exist.
You may accomplish this manually or you may prefer to upgrade equipment such as adding an extremely oversized protein skimmer.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back