Bubble Magus Curve 5 HELP!

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked one up over the weekend. When I first put it into mu sump the cup filled right away.

I adjusted it and then nothing all day woke up to overflowing cup.

Adjusted it again and it ran all day yesterday and no skim mate. About 10 minutes a go full cup.

Another adjustment and it half way up the neck no matter what setting I set it to.

It's setting in 10" of water.

Any ideas?

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could pull it out of the water a bit.. many people run these in like 6-8" of water..

what setting do you have it on?

could be break in, they act skittish on break in.. mine is doing nothing but overflowing currently..

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Curve 7 on my 75. Literally pulled it out of the box, into 9" of water and plugged it in. Never had a overflow problem

deboy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it break in on the fully open setting up to 48 he's and then adjust it

KCCO

OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep the cup from over flowing? Mine sits in just over 10" of water.. It will skim nothing then the cup fills and over flows.. Mostly jsut water nothing even close to skim mate.

OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seemed to do the trick.. Have it sitting in about 9" of water no over flow and skimming slight.. Will adjust in a day or so as needed. Thanks.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, mines in about 8" of water right now, still overflowing.. has been for nearly three days now.. it fills the cup in about 30 seconds.. I've shut it off and gotten all the bubbles out of the pump.. still overflowing like mad.. if it doesn't settle down in a day or two I may need to change something..

OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read other places, it can take awhile to find the sweet spot. The skimmer gets great reviews and the price was right. Had a gift card to local store that was selling it for $195, cheaper than what I saw on line other than some Ebay listings.

Keep me posted would also like to know how you deal with your issues. When I set my at 9" over night the cup filled about half way and it was a tea color. Will adjust after I fell it's broken in. I used egg crate to build my up.

deboy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, mines in about 8" of water right now, still overflowing.. has been for nearly three days now.. it fills the cup in about 30 seconds.. I've shut it off and gotten all the bubbles out of the pump.. still overflowing like mad.. if it doesn't settle down in a day or two I may need to change something..

During this period you should be running in wide open with no adjustments. Once it's broken in then you can adjust it. If it's a used skimmer check the air intake and make sure it isn't clogged in the pipe or the venturi intake.

OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During this period you should be running in wide open with no adjustments. Once it's broken in then you can adjust it. If it's a used skimmer check the air intake and make sure it isn't clogged in the pipe or the venturi intake.

How long is a normal break in period?

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it's brand spankin new.. running wide open (the biggest opening in the return pipe)..

actually it did settle down once, before I had the whole tank running I had it running in just the sump water and it stopped overflowing within hours.. a day later I had the whole tank up and running and it hasn't stopped since (that was monday IIRC)..

I'm not terribly worried, I think it'll settle down, it just doesn't seem to be slowing down yet lol..

OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had it sitting about 9.25 inches in water. For the last 2 days it was at least skimming. Not great but it was bubbling to the top and semi skim mate was flowing into the cup, Check it after dinner and the bubbles are bit even going up the neck.. So would I be best to drop it 1/4 or 1.2 inch to see what happen. The water in the cup was not very stinky last my HOB was. It a water downed tea looking water.

Sorry to sound like a idiot, but first in sump skimmer I've owned.

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can take a week or so to break in. A bath in vinegar can allow it to break in faster. Just be sure to rinse it well.

OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the vinegar bath.. I have to wide open and sitting in 9 inches of water and getting nothing but wet skim. If I turn it down nothing happens.. It been a week today. My old HOB was producing gunk daily.

OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384794211.355438.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384794211.355438.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back