ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384794250.932803.jpg

Here they are.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine started pulling once I transferred over all my livestock to the new tank from my old tank.. I'm currently getting a really nice foam, with a skimmate a little darker than your photo.. the foam is darker, but it's only been "skimming" since saturday..

deboy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way too wet. Turn it down a bit so the bubbles aren't so high

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way too wet. Turn it down a bit so the bubbles aren't so high

I think he's running wide open, just like I am..

let me know if this is right/wrong:
more open (most flow through) = drier skim
more closed (least flow through) = wetter skim

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I;m running wide open... They what everyone said to do until it broke in. If I turn it down it never skims anything.. Should I lover it in the water are jsut turn it down.. When I fist put it on it was pulling darker skim for a day and has been like this since then.. Yesterday was a week it's been running...

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost the same Bubble Magus. They suck, pure and simple. I have had it about a year and it still is wildly unreliable. For a week or two it will work great and the next week it will overflow and flush all the skimmate back into the tank. If I could afford another one I would get rid of it in a heartbeat. I have tried it at all different levels too. Currently it is sitting just below that round plastic thing near the fat part of the bottom - maybe 5" of water. Any deeper and it constantly overflows. I suggest if you can take it back to take it back. It will never work correctly.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost the same Bubble Magus. They suck, pure and simple. I have had it about a year and it still is wildly unreliable. For a week or two it will work great and the next week it will overflow and flush all the skimmate back into the tank. If I could afford another one I would get rid of it in a heartbeat. I have tried it at all different levels too. Currently it is sitting just below that round plastic thing near the fat part of the bottom - maybe 5" of water. Any deeper and it constantly overflows. I suggest if you can take it back to take it back. It will never work correctly.

This is the first bad review I've seen for the curve skimmers.

OP
OP
R

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.. I did a lot of research and I've ready nothing but good reviews. Think I'll just turn my down a tad and see what happens.

deboy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check and make sure the airline is clean and venturi isn't plugged. Second I would make sure that the the adjustment pipe is where it should be and assembled and not backwards just in case and that nothing is blocking it.

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same after a couple weeks. Raising it was the fix. It's in about 6" of water. It's a great skimmer just find that sweet spot.

Bo N Rachel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1466565437.393211.jpg
Iev had my curve 5 for over a year,got it from a local reefer bc it also acted crazy on him so I chunked it up for him being a noob. I can say I don't like this skimmer period. Tried raising and lowering the skimmer adjusting the crappy tube and like everyone else begging for help on the issue of its either not skimming or over flowing.. Iev had my same issues! Piece of advice for you get your bubbles to the red ring on the bottom of the collection cup and keep it there!! It will eventually started pulling decent skim mate and I'd say on its good days it skimmed okay but I never gotten to get super dark. Here recently only after having it skim ok for me for about 3 months I had a issue with cyano and tried everything I could but ended up using chemiclean( works great btw) followed everything to the T! Started the curve back up after 2 water changes and it starts this (see pic) tore it down cleaned and checked everything. Let it run for 2 weeks letting it overflow back into the sump with no avail. I mean I could raise it up but it's only in around 8" of water and worked fine before.. I'm done with it moving forward to a different brand! Rant over lol

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I hate mine too. I would never buy another one or encourage anyone else to buy one. It requires constant adjustment to keep it skimming.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever they tell you to run it in, it's way too deep. I ran one for a short period of time and I can't remember the depth, but I'll guess about 8 inches....or maybe less. That's the secret.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
erratic skimming has almost nothing to do with skimmer quality. It's almost always a break in or water surface tension issue. Skimmer quality can be judged in pump longevity and quality of acrylic fabrication. If your skimmer is overflowing constantly, but it works well for hundreds of other people, it's user error. Frustrating as it may be. Keep it running wide open, in 6-8" of water, ensure it was assembled correctly and nothing is blocking or occluding the air or water suction openings, and it will calm down. It's a simple device. Pinwheel impeller, and you let more or less water in the chamber. Nothing else to it.

Keep in mind also if you recently used any aquatic cements or epoxy those can screw with the water and cause your skimmer to overflow for days to even weeks on end sometimes. I recently used an entire stick of epoxy to mount about 20 acro frags in the tank and the skimmer has been overflowing in the open position for 7 days now. This is normal and will stop eventually when the molecules in the water causing it to happen break up in time.

paul01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to using a skimmer just got the B M curve 5 from a fellow reefer its brand new but has no paperwork how do you adjust it ( havent but it in yet).

oscar garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it on without any adjustments until it fully breaks in which is around a week. If it is overflowing then you should add egg crate layers under the skimmer or something to lower the water level accordingly until you get the bubbles to stop overflowing then let it sit like that for about a week so it can break in first.

Last edited:

oscar garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is a skimmer out there that won't require adjustments all the time. There are always many factors that come into play that will require skimmer adjustments such as if you have fed, used chemicals, epoxy, top off , etc

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first installed mine it took a week to break in and I also needed to find the correct level before it was skimming like it should
IMG_0862_zpspknvxs1r.jpg

Marius Swart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jd371 how deep is your skimmer exactly and reading between 1-3 ? I tried everything , 2 months with noting . Then i raised the water level to 26cm , setting between 1 and 2 and now im getting yellow water with some foam but nothing like yours

Just to mention i have a 180l setup ...

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back