Buddy found new fish in his tank. New never before captive breed or hybrid?

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
My buddy raises clownfish and he found these in his tank. No new fish added for years.

Stock is sailfin, tomini, yellow wrasse (I think Cori’s), ornate leopard, 2 pajama cardinals, 4 lyretail anthias, foxface, and a goby.

It doesn’t look like a pajama. Did he just captive breed a lyretail or a hybrid wrasse/tang?

Only pairs of anthia, tang, wrasse, and pajama cardinals.
So it is either anthia, hybrid tang, hybrid wrasse, or pajama

Currently eating small crushed TDO.

IMG_8897.png IMG_8896.png IMG_8895.png

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to believe.

You said he raises clownfish. How is it not a clownfish?

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Hard to believe.

You said he raises clownfish. How is it not a clownfish?
He breeds them because he has 5 pairs and doesn’t want them to die. He donates to LFS. The display is my old flurry clownfish. Great clowns they don’t even attack your hand.

Anyway, it’s possible they are. Who knows though. Mixed thoughts on it means it could be something special…special in what regard will hopefully manifest when they age.

He said he noticed them at night when the anthias were darting and acting weird.

He said normally clownfish “yoke” is gone after 24 hours. Yet, these specimen are much larger than the typical tiny clownfish fry.

It’s almost as if they just hatched, and haven’t been in the tank for long

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Holy ******* ****. It definitely looks like the beginning of the bottom left pic.

Edit: second post but dang more I look at it. He could be the first person to cavity bred a lyretail anthia.

Edit2: maybe not the first according to article. Still really cool

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy ******* ****. It definitely looks like the beginning of the bottom left pic.

Edit: second post but dang more I look at it. He could be the first person to cavity bred a lyretail anthia.
Haha, if it is, I'd love to know more about their tank and what the larvae have been feeding on.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I’m trying to understand this. This was found in with one of the clownfish cultures or in the display?
In the display. The display does have two breeding flurry clownfish. He has 4 other separate tanks with one breeding pair of clownfish.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah like clownfish need specific rotifers and powdered food. No idea how they would survive. Seems to be anthia
Anthias larvae are much more specialized than clownfish when it comes to feeding/ rearing requirements.

My money is on it being a clownfish. Which I think is still unprecedented in a reef display. Does he dose rotifers to the tank?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias larvae are much more specialized than clownfish when it comes to feeding/ rearing requirements.

My money is on it being a clownfish. Which I think is still unprecedented in a reef display. Does he dose rotifers to the tank?
Definitely true about the feeding - clownfish larvae would be much more probable; the links below have pics of larval Ocellaris clownfish to compare with (days ~3-10 post hatch ocellaris larvae look pretty similar to ~3 weeks post hatch lyretails):
Either way, it'll become apparent in a few days what kind of fish it is for sure, and - while not completely unheard of - it is incredibly rare (like lottery winner rare) to have pelagic larvae survive in display tanks.

So, clowns or anthias, it's super cool either way.

Edit: Adding the source the pics are from:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back