Buddy found new fish in his tank. New never before captive breed or hybrid?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misunderstood. The pics are 3 weeks old growth. Originally got them out 3 weeks ago as tiny specks among the anthias at night when they are normally asleep.
I caught that. Normally a clown would have stripes by then, right? I'd bet on the anthias - can't wait to see what they grow into.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I caught that. Normally a clown would have stripes by then, right? I'd bet on the anthias - can't wait to see what they grow into.
Some people have said it’s delayed metamorphosis. It’s not something I was aware of that they go through a metamorphosis to get their color and this can be delayed. Only found by googling that abnormal thyroid levels can cause this. It’s interesting because all 8 are the same. Hopefully will know more in a couple days to a week or so

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn't been online for a bit but maybe @chad vossen can help ID

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He posted on another social media. He says it’s a pre settlement delayed metamorphosis clownfish
If that's his call, I'd believe it.

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My buddy raises clownfish and he found these in his tank. No new fish added for years.

Stock is sailfin, tomini, yellow wrasse (I think Cori’s), ornate leopard, 2 pajama cardinals, 4 lyretail anthias, foxface, and a goby.

It doesn’t look like a pajama. Did he just captive breed a lyretail or a hybrid wrasse/tang?

Only pairs of anthia, tang, wrasse, and pajama cardinals.
So it is either anthia, hybrid tang, hybrid wrasse, or pajama

Currently eating small crushed TDO.

IMG_8897.png IMG_8896.png IMG_8895.png
Very interesting. I’m following along so PLEASE keep this updates as it grows a bit. Best of luck.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The still picture does not look like clownfish to me (I also raised clown fish in the past). However, the video show what appears to be consistent with baby clown fish with some already have the white bars come in. I guess most likely clownfish. A close still picture of the fry with white in it will rule in or rule out clown fish. For ID purposes the fish chooses for the still picture likely not the best choice. We will know in a few more weeks. Please keep update.

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow…nice
, I've found bangai babies in my sump but got no nobel prize, …
In freshwater Ive found tetra and killifish fry, not sure if my removing them from the main tank actually improved survival …
anyway good luck, following

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s got 8.

The caudal fins seem too long to be clownfish, and they don't seem to be swimming as I would expect. I've had clowns color up at different times, but I've never seen delayed development in a whole group like that.

I've never raised anthias, but I've spoken to people that have, and having them go through flexion without feeding larval copepods is pretty much unheard of.

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has certainly been a lot of missing information and misinformation around this post.

He mentions that the larvae were collected from the tank 3 weeks ago as tiny specs. This tells us that the larvae had to be from a benthic spawning species, such as clownfish. Anthias acting weird that night when they are normally sleeping, they are feasting on the baby clownfish that are hatching. Natural zooplankton! Anthias and wrasse produce palegic eggs, which get eaten and filtered out, palegic eggs do not have a chance to hatch in reef tanks.

They collected a handful of the mystery larvae (which are definitely clownfish) to raise in a larval tank. Assuming they raised the fry on rotifers and brine, which would not work on any other species he has in the tank. Only the clownfish would do well on that larval diet. It's likely the rotifers are not being gut loaded prior to feeding, so nutrition is likely not the best for the clownfish larvae. This will result in delayed growth and metamorphosis. These should have their head stripes in the next few days to a week if they are eating TDO B2 pellets.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other possible thing could be delayed metamorphosis (clownfish) from what I gather. Researching it, thyroid hormone levels can delay or speed it up. However, that doesn’t answer how they would survive to that size in a reef tank, and not be eaten by fish/corals, sucked in by powerheads, dumped in sump, and question of food.

Even if he dosed rotifers in the tank at feeding time with frozen and pellets, they would just be taken by filtration. He uses filter socks and a fuge.

From my understanding from him, he need constant feeding, especially early after hatching. First rotifiers then powdered food.
Interesting following

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
There has certainly been a lot of missing information and misinformation around this post.

He mentions that the larvae were collected from the tank 3 weeks ago as tiny specs. This tells us that the larvae had to be from a benthic spawning species, such as clownfish. Anthias acting weird that night when they are normally sleeping, they are feasting on the baby clownfish that are hatching. Natural zooplankton! Anthias and wrasse produce palegic eggs, which get eaten and filtered out, palegic eggs do not have a chance to hatch in reef tanks.

They collected a handful of the mystery larvae (which are definitely clownfish) to raise in a larval tank. Assuming they raised the fry on rotifers and brine, which would not work on any other species he has in the tank. Only the clownfish would do well on that larval diet. It's likely the rotifers are not being gut loaded prior to feeding, so nutrition is likely not the best for the clownfish larvae. This will result in delayed growth and metamorphosis. These should have their head stripes in the next few days to a week if they are eating TDO B2 pellets.
He has a culture of rotifers at all times with phyto constantly going.

Most likely a clownfish, but what if they aren’t? And it was raised with a diet no one would think would be possible.

Don’t know. Time will tell!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back