Buddy found new fish in his tank. New never before captive breed or hybrid?

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drunk Spring Break GIF

Reef_Freak720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty neat. They do look like the anthias. On the other hand they also look exactly like my molly fry... As I understand it they aren't like tangs in that breeding them is particularly difficult, it's just that they are imported in such vast numbers that it's not economically viable.

It's actually not unprecedented for clownfish fry to survive in a reef tank - you just need the right mix of microfauna. In nature they don't hatch into a cloud of rotifers, they hunt down in the little holes in the rocks. So if your friend picked up a population of rotifers as a hitchhiker at some point (or contaminated the tank from one of his grow out tanks) and they've survived it's very possible for a few fry to make it.
I was under the impression clowns swam to the top of the water column where the swarm of microfauna are before settling on the reef once they pass meta

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Update: no color still. He says they look basically the same, but a little bigger. He said he will be moving them to a bigger tank soon.

New video. He says if you look toward the end of the video, they swim pretty dang fast.

Attachments

• IMG_7664.mov
    32.1 MB

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: no color still. He says they look basically the same, but a little bigger. He said he will be moving them to a bigger tank soon.

New video. He says if you look toward the end of the video, they swim pretty dang fast.

Anyone else just get a video of some dudes feet?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so much fun to keep updated on. Really excited to find out what type of fish these are

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back