Bumps on CBB

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me to identify this. Poor guy isn't doing to well in my quarantine although the other fish seem to be doing well. He is visibly very stressed and swimming back and forth.

PXL_20210906_014243767.jpg PXL_20210906_014250896.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not doing well? Is the fish eating. If not try live black or white worms.
As for the bumps I will let other decide what they are.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started introducing copper yesterday. Was doing General Cure first as I thought they were flukes.

So they were there before the copper though? I had long nose butterfly get lympho during copper but it went away after. Butterflies are really sensitive to copper treatments

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure but it appears consistent with lymphocystis. Many fish carry the virus asymptomatically but stress can lead to an outbreak. Think of it like shingles for fish.

For a shy fish like a copperband I would try lighting only one side of the QT, and give him some better hides. I would get some appropriately sized grey or black PVC, and give him some choices so he can pick where he feels secure. One configuration that works for me is a elbow and a "tee" connected by a short piece of pipe so the fish inside isn't visually exposed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This rash like appearance is likely mucus spores where ich or even cryptocaryn may have been present. At this point, keep an eye on it. it should subside as long as good water quality and diet are provided. If it increases, quarantine in copper power may be warranted.
As an alternative, you can use ruby Rally Reef which should address this or even a 90 minute bath in ruby Rally

Diet suggestions:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give some more clarification... I picked him up from my LFS Thursday and he did have those bumps already (I know I should have not purchased him like that). But he was looking very healthy other than that and was competing with an angel in the tank to eat frozen mysis. The LFS said he freshwater dipped him earlier the day I purchased so I though what the heck. Put him in my quarantine and observed closely at this point there was no treatment in the tank. After about 24-48hrs he started showing signs of stress and I started the first dose of General Cure Friday night with intentions of starting copper after the full dose of General Cure was done. Yesterday I used the 2nd dose of General Cure and started the copper earlier than I had planned as he seemed to be getting worse. This morning thankfully he seemed less stressed and I am currently at around 1.5PPM with Copper Power with plans to go near the recommended level 2 - 2.5 tonight. I do have 3 pieces of rather large PVC that he can comfortably fit into. Admittedly I probably do have the 20G overstocked (it will only be temporary until they go into my 200G display) with a baby tomini, baby sailfin, and 3 bangaii cardinals but none of them have showed any signs of aggression.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give some more clarification... I picked him up from my LFS Thursday and he did have those bumps already (I know I should have not purchased him like that). But he was looking very healthy other than that and was competing with an angel in the tank to eat frozen mysis. The LFS said he freshwater dipped him earlier the day I purchased so I though what the heck. Put him in my quarantine and observed closely at this point there was no treatment in the tank. After about 24-48hrs he started showing signs of stress and I started the first dose of General Cure Friday night with intentions of starting copper after the full dose of General Cure was done. Yesterday I used the 2nd dose of General Cure and started the copper earlier than I had planned as he seemed to be getting worse. This morning thankfully he seemed less stressed and I am currently at around 1.5PPM with Copper Power with plans to go near the recommended level 2 - 2.5 tonight. I do have 3 pieces of rather large PVC that he can comfortably fit into. Admittedly I probably do have the 20G overstocked (it will only be temporary until they go into my 200G display) with a baby tomini, baby sailfin, and 3 bangaii cardinals but none of them have showed any signs of aggression.
That most likely isn't Lymphocystis.
Flukes don't make spots like that.
I didn't see - what is the ammonia level in the QT and what are you measuring it with?
It might just be a coincidence, but the spots make up a straight line - I wonder if that is some injury?

Jay

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That most likely isn't Lymphocystis.
Flukes don't make spots like that.
I didn't see - what is the ammonia level in the QT and what are you measuring it with?
It might just be a coincidence, but the spots make up a straight line - I wonder if that is some injury?

Jay
What do you think about adding melafix along with the general cure and copper power? Is that too much?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about adding melafix along with the general cure and copper power? Is that too much?
I wouldn’t do that. Combining treatments is risky and melafix is more of a herbal tonic than a true medication.

Jay

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like one of the three bumps opened up. I am at the full 2.5ppm concentration of copper power now.

Attachments

• PXL_20210907_015126780.jpg
    PXL_20210907_015126780.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20210907_015127986.jpg
    PXL_20210907_015127986.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 23

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That still has me wondering if this is from an injury. Maybe I’m just biased, but I got hit with a fish’s dorsal spines and it left the same pattern on my hand…
Jay

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably right. When I look closely it looks like something picked or poked his scales off in those spots. Thanks again for your opinion it is invaluable. He is still alive and kicking. I noticed when I am not around he seems pretty relaxed. But when I park myself in front of the tank he starts swimming back and forth frantically. He has yet to eat in front of me. I purposely did not feed this morning. Going to add some garlic xtreme and feed tonight to see if that helps.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBBs are very communicative fish with others. My CBB gets very excited when I'm at the tank. He'll swim up to my fingers if I dip them in the water and play with me as though I'm a toy swimming around and sometimes through my fingers. They are very fun fish. When mine's hungary he swims frantically in front of me like he's going to die of starvation if he doesn't get food soon. If I ignore him, he goes back to eating pods non stop.. I know he's not that hungry. :)

They are fish that tend to get picked on. I have a Lamarck's angelfish that likes to try to bight the top fins of my butterfly. I have no idea why... They do a dance of swimming in circles then the angel gets board and chases something else.

It's quite possible due to the docile nature of CBBs it simply got attacked at the LFS. Now, it's terrified of everything. I don't know if I'd keep a CBB in copper. They're so sensitive to water quality changes. Mine stops feeding for a day or two if I simply dose trace elements to my water. They're awesome fish but very sensitive to things around them. I've had mine for 2 + years now. He eats my home made frozen food from my hands. It includes freeze dried Mysis, scallops, tuna, and frozen shrimp, all from Costco. Plus two bottles of selcon and fish eggs, and amino acids. The CBB loves my home made food. In the meantime he feeds on pods. They need to eat almost constantly since their mouths are so small. If you're using copper, you probably have no microfauna for him to munch on. They're hunters, they need microscopic food to hunt and to remain healthy.

I see my feeding as only supplemental to his primary diet of pods.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBBs are very communicative fish with others. My CBB gets very excited when I'm at the tank. He'll swim up to my fingers if I dip them in the water and play with me as though I'm a toy swimming around and sometimes through my fingers. They are very fun fish. When mine's hungary he swims frantically in front of me like he's going to die of starvation if he doesn't get food soon. If I ignore him, he goes back to eating pods non stop.. I know he's not that hungry. :)

They are fish that tend to get picked on. I have a Lamarck's angelfish that likes to try to bight the top fins of my butterfly. I have no idea why... They do a dance of swimming in circles then the angel gets board and chases something else.

It's quite possible due to the docile nature of CBBs it simply got attacked at the LFS. Now, it's terrified of everything. I don't know if I'd keep a CBB in copper. They're so sensitive to water quality changes. Mine stops feeding for a day or two if I simply dose trace elements to my water. They're awesome fish but very sensitive to things around them. I've had mine for 2 + years now. He eats my home made frozen food from my hands. It includes freeze dried Mysis, scallops, tuna, and frozen shrimp, all from Costco. Plus two bottles of selcon and fish eggs, and amino acids. The CBB loves my home made food. In the meantime he feeds on pods. They need to eat almost constantly since their mouths are so small. If you're using copper, you probably have no microfauna for him to munch on. They're hunters, they need microscopic food to hunt and to remain healthy.

I see my feeding as only supplemental to his primary diet of pods.
Thank you this is REALLY helpful!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably right. When I look closely it looks like something picked or poked his scales off in those spots. Thanks again for your opinion it is invaluable. He is still alive and kicking. I noticed when I am not around he seems pretty relaxed. But when I park myself in front of the tank he starts swimming back and forth frantically. He has yet to eat in front of me. I purposely did not feed this morning. Going to add some garlic xtreme and feed tonight to see if that helps.
Try to watch it from a darkened room, you need to confirm that it is eating or not.
Jay

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to watch it from a darkened room, you need to confirm that it is eating or not.
Jay
This 100%! With CBBs they are hardy if they're eating, the moment they stop eating something is wrong. It could be barometric pressure for all we know sometimes, but for them eating is life. My tank is in the furnace room (in wall display) So, at night turn the incandescent furnace room light bulb on and the tank is showered in a dim yellow light. Everytime I do this I catch my CBB poking his head in a rock looking for more food.. I seriously think he hunts close to 24 hours a day especially when I'm not watching him. So, you'll need to find away to feed, with low flow, and walk away monitor if he starts pecking at things to eat. If you don't see him visibly eating. There's not much hope for the guy, wounded or not.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back