- 125 gallon tank
- glass tank cover
- DC controllable 2000 gph pump
- Maple stand w/white piano gloss finish
- 2 matching lamp trees
- 7" sock holder with sock
- 40 gallon sump with 3 compartments
- LED refugium lighting

I decided to try the Red Sea C-Skim 1800 slimmer rated for 300 gallon tanks. It is normally stocked with all "S" series Red Sea setups.

- C-Skim 1800 Protein Skimmer (in sump)
- added a Mag 5 pump for flow to skimmer (500 gph)

Ordered enough live sand for a thick sand bed, 3+ inches to reduce nitrates.

Lighting from Drs. Foster and Smith for $350 each.

- (2) AI Hydra 26 HD

I have heard CAD Lights has a poor reputation for customer service, but so far so good. I feel very comfortable with plumbing, carpentry, etc so I opted to save and see what happens.

Can anyone share their CAD experience with respect to product quality?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a Reef Octopus bio-churn 120R recirculating Reactor to further reduce nitrates.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals you gonna keep? I run 4 hydra 26's on a 150 gallon and feel I'm cutting it close

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef. Not sure which corals yet. Definitely rose anemones. The 150 is longer so I can see that tank having 4. Hopefully I will not need an extra 2.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I was thinking of going the CAD Lights route. Love the Artisan but will probably go with the Versa due to budget restraints. Supposedly they are coming out with acrylic sumps soon which would save on having to replace the glass sump.

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope that I do not have to replace a $300 sump. Luckily I have not had a leak in any glass tank or sump yet in the tank setups that I've had. Ugh. Are glass sumps prone to leaks?

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope that I do not have to replace a $300 sump. Luckily I have not had a leak in any glass tank or sump yet in the tank setups that I've had. Ugh. Are glass sumps prone to leaks?
No, there is nothing wrong with the glass sumps. They are nice but a lot of people will swap out the glass sump for an acrylic sump (like a Trigger, etc..) to have the integrated sock holders, probe holders, adjustable water line, etc...

Just personal preference. You will be fine with the glass sump provide with the system.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef. Not sure which corals yet. Definitely rose anemones. The 150 is longer so I can see that tank having 4. Hopefully I will not need an extra 2.
I think it will be hard to grow acros since you will have to raise light for good coverage 2 52's would be perfect

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be hard to grow acros since you will have to raise light for good coverage 2 52's would be perfect

A Red Sea Reefer 450 Deluxe is 116 gallon and also uses 2 Hydra 26 HDs. I went with the same setup.

Maybe if I was doing an all coral reef I would consider the 52s.

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New addition to the build:

- Hydor Smart Level ATO System

The less maintenance the better. Plus the gradual replenishment of evaporation loss will be much appreciated by tank inhabitants.

I have had these units for years without any issues.

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAD Lights Status
I received the following cordial response from the CAD Lights customer service. Very polite, so far so good!

"Thank you for your follow up. Your 125G Artisan package is being packed and prepared. it is scheduled to be shipped out middle of this week."

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a tracking number and was told the aquarium will arrive on Monday. Good service so far.

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received my heaters. Two 200 watt heaters should handle a 125 gallon tank without issue.

- (2) Hydor Heater 200 watts - $19.99 each
- ReefKeeper Lite controller - $199
- pH probe
- temperature probe

The RKL controller came with a temperature probe and a pH monitoring probe. A calibration solution was also included. Additional solutions are $2.

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cad Lights shipping partner scheduled the delivery of the tank for today between 12pm and 4pm.

At 3:30 I called to verify it is still coming and the shipper said that they are delaying the delivery due to not being paid by CAD Lights.

Awaiting a resolution.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cad Lights shipping partner scheduled the delivery of the tank for today between 12pm and 4pm.

At 3:30 I called to verify it is still coming and the shipper said that they are delaying the delivery due to not being paid by CAD Lights.

Awaiting a resolution.

That SUCKS!!! Pay over $2K for an aquarium and the shipping company is holding it hostage? :rolleyes:

Any word today?

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAD Lights contacted me today. Very courteous. Apologized.

They will ship me another system with a more reputable shipping company while they sort this out. Sounded like they will get rid of this shipping company.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a 42 gallon Versa series, piano white cabinet, and a Hydra 26 HD (you got the white one to match, right?). I'm very impressed with the setup. The finish on the stand is flawless, tank looks amazing. I expect you'll be pleased with it.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the sump, I upgraded mine. The only problem I had with the one it came with was that it didn't have a compartment that maintained its water level (like a dedicated skimmer compartment). Because of this, when my ato float switch would engage, it had to fill the entire sump high enough to close the switch. My ato pump will timeout after so long and have to be manually reset in order to function again.

With my new sump, I put my switch after the skimmer compartment with the return pump. Now it turns on and off more often, but it's only maintaining the water level in a 6" x 10" space as apposed to 24" x 16".

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAD Lights apologized for any inconvenience and are build another tank for me at the moment. They said they will ship it with a different shipping company as they work things out with the first one. Waiting...

Back