Can I get a mandarin?

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of mandarins are tanked raised so they have never been in the ocean and the ones that are tanked raised would have never been able to eat that many so I would think it depends on where it came from

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is! To my amazement and joy he is readily eating frozen food. Guess I got lucky!

image.jpg

Bjwair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.. I've had my mandarin for 5weeks now in a 4month old 63g rearsump tank. Initially he refused all food I sent his way, pellets, frozen mysis, brine, rotifers even went to my local Japanese supermarket for capelin roe. Nothing changed apart from NO3, PO4 which of course lead to a dramatic growth in slime algae.
Tried a new path of setting up a pod farm. Bought a cheap nano tank fm Gumtree (Craigslist for Aussies), went down the road to a beach and harvested thousands of pods. Chucked em straight into the new tank with some Nori when I got home, they were everywhere couldn't see anything but these "sea fleas" dancing around. Slept easier that night, knowing I'd have endless supply for my new mandarin... Woke up to find all but a handful had survived the night and those that did were struggling due NH3 and were dead soon after. I put it down to failing to acclimate, seeing tho local ocean is about 18C and tank was sitting at 26C. Rookie.
At this stage I've had my mandarin for a week and he's already starting to show a bone. Made the decision either I get him on frozen by end of next week or take him back to the LFS. Bought a fish breeding box and after a good long chase got him in there. Took him two days to finally eat a frozen brine and another 3 to gobble up a mysis.
These days he only eats the brine which is a bit concerning however I've got chateo (with bulk pods) at the back growing for him in a plastic bottle. Also intend, once the nano finishes cycling (added crushed coral substrate and LR) I'll give the pod farm another crack.
Admittedly I'm new to the hobby and its been a steep learning curve, after the first week with him, I can understand all the naysayers pov and appreciated the sense of urgency to get em eating, especially in a non mature fugeless tank. If people opinions weren't so dramatic then maybe I wouldn't have stressed to get him on frozen as much. I target fed him twice daily but thanks to reference from this thread I'll look at creating a "mandarin diner". In hindsight did I rush adding my mandarin? Probably. Would I do it again? Yes. He's gotta be the most laidback coolest fish going around and I intend to do whatever it takes to keep him going around for a long time.... However think I'll put of my polka dot boxfish acquisition tho [emoji16].

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.. I've had my mandarin for 5weeks now in a 4month old 63g rearsump tank. Initially he refused all food I sent his way, pellets, frozen mysis, brine, rotifers even went to my local Japanese supermarket for capelin roe. Nothing changed apart from NO3, PO4 which of course lead to a dramatic growth in slime algae.
Tried a new path of setting up a pod farm. Bought a cheap nano tank fm Gumtree (Craigslist for Aussies), went down the road to a beach and harvested thousands of pods. Chucked em straight into the new tank with some Nori when I got home, they were everywhere couldn't see anything but these "sea fleas" dancing around. Slept easier that night, knowing I'd have endless supply for my new mandarin... Woke up to find all but a handful had survived the night and those that did were struggling due NH3 and were dead soon after. I put it down to failing to acclimate, seeing tho local ocean is about 18C and tank was sitting at 26C. Rookie.
At this stage I've had my mandarin for a week and he's already starting to show a bone. Made the decision either I get him on frozen by end of next week or take him back to the LFS. Bought a fish breeding box and after a good long chase got him in there. Took him two days to finally eat a frozen brine and another 3 to gobble up a mysis.
These days he only eats the brine which is a bit concerning however I've got chateo (with bulk pods) at the back growing for him in a plastic bottle. Also intend, once the nano finishes cycling (added crushed coral substrate and LR) I'll give the pod farm another crack.
Admittedly I'm new to the hobby and its been a steep learning curve, after the first week with him, I can understand all the naysayers pov and appreciated the sense of urgency to get em eating, especially in a non mature fugeless tank. If people opinions weren't so dramatic then maybe I wouldn't have stressed to get him on frozen as much. I target fed him twice daily but thanks to reference from this thread I'll look at creating a "mandarin diner". In hindsight did I rush adding my mandarin? Probably. Would I do it again? Yes. He's gotta be the most laidback coolest fish going around and I intend to do whatever it takes to keep him going around for a long time.... However think I'll put of my polka dot boxfish acquisition tho [emoji16].

get one. HOB refugium.
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-O...F8&qid=1452113896&sr=1-1&keywords=breeder+box

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back