Can I get a Powder Blue Tang?

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add a Powder Blue Tang?

I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with 36 gallon sump. The tank is now almost 9 months old, well cycled, parameters perfect.

Current Livestock:
Kole Tang
Starry Blenny
Royal Gramma
2 Stubby Ocellaris Clowns

My reservations:

I know 75 would be on the small side for a PBT.
Will Kole and PBT fight?

Any thoughts? I really would like to add another few fish, my tank is pretty boring in terms of fish life in there.

Any thoughts on another livestock suggestion? Any of the "reef safe" Pygmy Angels? Anthias? Wrasses? Other tangs?

Thank you!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add a Powder Blue Tang?

I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with 36 gallon sump. The tank is now almost 9 months old, well cycled, parameters perfect.

Current Livestock:
Kole Tang
Starry Blenny
Royal Gramma
2 Stubby Ocellaris Clowns

My reservations:

I know 75 would be on the small side for a PBT.
Will Kole and PBT fight?

Any thoughts? I really would like to add another few fish, my tank is pretty boring in terms of fish life in there.

Any thoughts on another livestock suggestion? Any of the "reef safe" Pygmy Angels? Anthias? Wrasses? Other tangs?

Thank you!
I would advise against a PBT to a 75g, they have a big personality and do better in tanks twice that size.

Often, once established, PBT fight any tang. One tang for a 75 is best.

A small group of randalls or dispar anthias, any flasher wrasse and almost all fairy wrasses, chrysus or melanurus wrasse.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition, this is one species that if you have not quarantined and treat every incoming fish for ich, there's nearly a 100% chance that it will get ich and die. They cannot handle it.

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished 72+ days fallow. Zero ich in tank.

I would do TTM and QT for observation.

Here's a pic of current set up:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1464872628.375421.jpg

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any suggestions about a good choice for Pygmy Angels? Particularly Potters Angel?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would advise against a pbt in a 75. I have mine in a 180 and he's a terror. He has been in timeout for a good while and won't be adding him back until I am sure I am done stocking the tank fish wise.

As for a smaller angel I think one would be great in your tank. Just keep an eye out for nipping, if you keep it well fed it should help with keeping that to a minimum

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any suggestions about a good choice for Pygmy Angels? Particularly Potters Angel?
Any species of dwarf angel has the potential to nip coral. Potters are a safer bet, but still a risk.

nelson69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search live aquaria they have a lot of fishes to look at and some pretty accurate descriptions and tips! Go chack them out

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pygmy angel and she is an "angel" :p
She has never nipped at anything

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemonpeel Angel is stunning, but would probably devour your reef. :(

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search live aquaria they have a lot of fishes to look at and some pretty accurate descriptions and tips! Go chack them out

I've been all over this site and other for years, just wanted to reach out to see if anyone had some experience with multiple tangs in a 75 gallon or a tang (kole tang) with some of the smaller Angels. I know there are a lot of mixed views about them being nippers of corals and some people say they never touch them.

I would love a Potters Angel but they are finicky to acclimate I hear

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a scopas and a kole in my 75 at one point. They got along fine for about a year, then the scopas decided he wanted to be the alpha. I rehomed the kole tang and haven't tried another surgeonfish in there since.

Love my 75 but I'm looking forward to upgrading to an 8ft 240gal so I can get a couple of the bigger tangs (and hopefully they'll get along).

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look into some of the halichoeres wrasses, tank is a suitable size for many of them, compared to a PBT.

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about keeping a butterfly (CBB) in a 75 with a Kole tang? I feed live black works and fresh clams and would be able to buy from a reputable LFS to verify it is eating.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about keeping a butterfly (CBB) in a 75 with a Kole tang? I feed live black works and fresh clams and would be able to buy from a reputable LFS to verify it is eating.

That might be more feasible. I would condition the CBB in your QT, so he's eating well before being added to the DT. Or train him to eat out of your hand like @saltyhog does. :D They sometimes don't compete well with other fish for food.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep an eye on the kole. I have seen some be pretty chill with newcomers, and some be quite aggressive. Too much aggression may cause a conditioned cbb to go on a hunger strike.

OP
OP
dochow

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to do TTM with CBB. What size TTM would you recommend? I currently have 2 2.5 gallon which are small. Was going to use those for 6 line wrasse.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might look at a Singapore Angel. Beautiful fish, stays relatively small, about 6" max. Has the potential to be a nipper but no more than any other angel.

IMG_3741.JPG

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back