Can I get a Powder Blue Tang?

Reef Stu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been all over this site and other for years, just wanted to reach out to see if anyone had some experience with multiple tangs in a 75 gallon or a tang (kole tang) with some of the smaller Angels. I know there are a lot of mixed views about them being nippers of corals and some people say they never touch them.

I would love a Potters Angel but they are finicky to acclimate I hear
I have three yellow tangs, one yellow bellied hippo tang, a coral beauty angel fish and a keyhole angel. All in a 60gal. At first one of the yellow tangs was a bully but now the three school together happily with an occasional squabble. I keep them well fed and do a weekly water change. These fish were given to me in exchange for helping breakdown a 260 gallon tank. All but one of the yellow tangs that is. I never would've tried to stock that many tangs in such a small tank! But free is free. They've been living in my tank happily for four months now. I know someday they will out grow the tank. So I will have to upgrade or give them away when that day comes.
I'm sure someone's going to bust my chops in this thread, but you asked if anyone had success with multiple tags in a small tank. So far so good.
As far as coral I have some LPS (one Acan, two favia, some Duncan, one green alien eye) a ton of Green Ricordea mushrooms, some Green star polyps, cabbage coral, and some Xena. All growing well. No nipping.
image.jpeg

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a aquamedic trap ,, I trapped 3 fish I wanted out of my reef on the first try..
I set it in for a day and the next day added food. I feed a little less that day and when I added food all three went in one by one.

Funny you mention that as I have that trap and tried to trap him for over a month with no luck. I could have caught any other fish in the tank multiple times daily..........but not good ol pbt. After a month i just took the trap out and chalked one up as a loss. I may try again but after he killed off the foxface he has calmed down.

bxmpwr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, blue hippo, and a powder blue tang In a 90gal. They are all cool together but the pbt was the last added. Now I can't add any other fish. The pbt is relentless and will kill anything new.

BIG reefs or go home

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all no butterflies are good options and should only be held within the expert aquaris and second every single tank has ich in its water colum the only way it doesnt have ich in the tank is if the tank isnt yet cycled powder blues are way easier to keep than u think ive had my powder blue for a bit now and i love him once and awhile he gets 1-2 spots but dont get worried they just go away in a day or 2

KyleJean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang, yellow tang, powder blue, and coral beauty. None nip at corals, mine actually are going after tigger and copapods. The purple is the bully and is the biggest. Occasionally does the swirl around the yellow. But as long as you have at least one algae clip and put a piece of algae on it every day they are fine together. The more access to algae the more docile the tang gets. Watch if you don't have algae in your tank for a day or two they will get very aggressive.

As far as ich goes keeping a cleaner shrimp and a pair of neon gobies definitely help as well as running your tank at 79or even 80 if you notice a outbreak. As the increase in temp help speed up the live cycle of the ich currently attached to the fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all no butterflies are good options and should only be held within the expert aquaris and second every single tank has ich in its water colum the only way it doesnt have ich in the tank is if the tank isnt yet cycled powder blues are way easier to keep than u think ive had my powder blue for a bit now and i love him once and awhile he gets 1-2 spots but dont get worried they just go away in a day or 2
Though many butterflies are difficult, not all require expert level care. In fact pyramids, heniochus, and raccoons are quite easy, though the raccoon isn't very reef safe.

It is possible to have a tank completely devoid of ich, but requires dedication and discipline. Most tanks do have ich present. Some fish are more susceptible than others.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 92 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back