Carib Sea Arag-ALive Fiji Pink Substrate?!

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also find it strangely frustrating how you had something correctable in one week going for 25 now mos but you still retain the ability to critique offers rather assertively for ten pages
:)

We are fixing other tanks using your thread here as an example- people with sandbed problems are linked here to watch pages compile and the final result will be you accessing your entire sandbed, either for cleaning or replacement. That which was not done preventatively will now be part of an invader-forced start over for that portion of the tank. Did we cover sandbed access on page 1 or 2?

I've critiqued those suggestions that I've already tried and have found did not work.
I find it funny how you sir are able to type speak an insult much better than you can any helpful suggestions.
Please feel free to keep any further words of wisdom to yourself.

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nana don't let good ole Brandy get under your skin... I posted several pages ago with the same problem as you and have been trying to cure the problem as well. I like you can comprehend only the slightest fraction of his endless drivel, but his ability to word smith an insult is impeccable. Keep fighting the battle of the sand bed... I'm with you:D!!

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nana don't let good ole Brandy get under your skin... I posted several pages ago with the same problem as you and have been trying to cure the problem as well. I like you can comprehend only the slightest fraction of his endless drivel, but his ability to word smith an insult is impeccable. Keep fighting the battle of the sand bed... I'm with you:D!!

[emoji8][emoji7]

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to see your tank correction work bird dog, can you link? I figure if you have some then it won't be because you were bandwagoning when posting just now pg 11, I was thinking you might be referencing actual work you've collected that's drastically different that what I'm recommending.

when I initially posted it was to add this tank to growing lists of honest tank work, nobody has been insulted. Framing outcomes with causative observations is no insult.

Last edited:

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to see your tank correction work bird dog, can you link? I figure if you have some then it won't be because you were bandwagoning when posting just now pg 11, I was thinking you might be referencing actual work you've collected that's drastically different that what I'm recommending.

when I initially posted it was to add this tank to growing lists of honest tank work, nobody has been insulted. Framing outcomes with causative observations is no insult.
No "bandwagoning" here... just simple down home country observations on my part.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What aspects of care and design do constantly problematic sandbeds share on thread posts? Would we agree that by keeping a sandbed free of waste, one might have less problems?

Last edited:

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acabgd I remember your tank required access too

I think the term vector was a minor holdup :)

There was tons of work to do in your tank, I'd be curious to see updates on any method used. The copper filtering not going to work was aimed at helping you maximize time
I have restarted my tank in the meantime, emptied everything, cleaned the whole tank and equipment with vinegar, got new cured LR and 50% of water from an established tank (didn't want to introduce fish to pure newly made saltwater). Took me 3 days, but it's the best decision I made. Enabled me to change some stuff I wanted to do for a long time, eradicate some pests that were bugging me (red hydroids), make a much better scape and placement of corals.

BTW, the "dirty method" enabled me to get rid of dinoflagellates, but the algae remained. I could have probably eradicated that as well in 2-6 months, but I was too lazy to wait that long.

Finally, your postings are really hard to understand and I mostly don't get them and what you are really saying, so not a big help anyway.

fts-2015-12-30-01.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As rude as that sounds, the cleaning steps you took seem to be exactly in line with our discussions here and opposite of not taking direct action, so I'll vote up based on getting the job done. At least you offered a tank turnaround example after being asked.

You didn't have dinoflagellates.

this recent post and shot above shows deep cleaning work done and is relevant for the thread nice cleanup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not relevant to me. I've no desire to go bare bottom. I don't believe this to be Dinoflagellates nor do I have any other type of problematic algae issues. I'm also trying to save $100.00 in substrate and hours of labor plus possible loss of livestock.
I am very interested in finding the cause, which IMO would be more helpful to any and all reefers in the long run. Finding a cure along the way would be a positive.
Today I received my new salt mix, Instant Ocean. Will be removing the top layer of substrate during WC. We shall see [emoji2] As ugly as it is I'm finding a little peace of mind knowing it has not affected my corals or fish.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couldn't tell if you thought an old login name would change my stances here, or there. bare bottom should fix this issue easily.

Last edited:

007Bond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not relevant to me. I've no desire to go bare bottom. I don't believe this to be Dinoflagellates nor do I have any other type of problematic algae issues. I'm also trying to save $100.00 in substrate and hours of labor plus possible loss of livestock.
I am very interested in finding the cause, which IMO would be more helpful to any and all reefers in the long run. Finding a cure along the way would be a positive.
Today I received my new salt mix, Instant Ocean. Will be removing the top layer of substrate during WC. We shall see
emoji2.png
As ugly as it is I'm finding a little peace of mind knowing it has not affected my corals or fish.

+1,...you seem to have a checklist and are crossing them off one at a time,...imo the best way to approach issues. I just bought some Trochus snails from Dr F&S,...these are some amazing little creatures,...really hard workers, can right themselves and don't end up in a corner all piled up on each other. I don't know exactly what type of brown algae I had, but they removed it in two days,...+ their on sale right now. Just a fyi,...good luck.---Rick

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1,...you seem to have a checklist and are crossing them off one at a time,...imo the best way to approach issues. I just bought some Trochus snails from Dr F&S,...these are some amazing little creatures,...really hard workers, can right themselves and don't end up in a corner all piled up on each other. I don't know exactly what type of brown algae I had, but they removed it in two days,...+ their on sale right now. Just a fyi,...good luck.---Rick

Do you mean LiveAquaria.com? DFS doesn't sell live. Plus most Trochus Snails tend to shy away from the SB.

007Bond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes LiveAquaria. I have been wanting to buy some for a long time now. I read a lot of threads by guys saying how hard they work.,...not sure about the sand bed thing, but if thats where the food is maybe they would make an exception :). I have them in my frag tank(no sand) and they fave this 100gal tank clean as a whistle in two days. Now they cleaned the algae up but I not sure of the root cause. Some posts back I was asking about your lighting as I think mine is what brings the algae out "really" fast. I can clean the tank,...leave lights off then the algae is very minor,...turn the lights on and Bam as Emeril would say,...its back. I have T5's on the tank. I haven't changed the bulbs yet :mad:.
I'll be moving some snails to my DT (sand bottom) soon or I'll need to start feeding these hungry little guys. :D

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the OP, I have used the exact same Fiji Pink substrate with no chronic issues. Sure I had dinos in the first few weeks, but they have never returned once things settled down. The best things I have done to keep my substrate beautiful are adding an inline UV sterilizer and a Diamond Goby.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct @mcarroll however DFS is a different department all together.
As soon as possible I'll be ordering 20 Florida Cerith Snails from ReefCleaners.com. They're the ones that live in and on the SB dominantly.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case: Get the dark shelled ones if you can. They do glass as well as sand. The white ones seem to prefer burrowing more.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back