Cat shark biological filtration

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes and my one test fish that has been in there for a week but he will most likely become dinner.
Don't use a powerhead, they are not strong swimmers when they are young and in a smaller tank they could possibly get stuck to the intake.

OP
OP
D

dillon lif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use a powerhead, they are not strong swimmers when they are young and in a smaller tank they could possibly get stuck to the intake.

Attachments

• 445B2F91-5F20-48EC-8B2A-44179899B88E.jpeg
    445B2F91-5F20-48EC-8B2A-44179899B88E.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 3A724F4D-D33F-4257-859D-4AE29453CA22.jpeg
    3A724F4D-D33F-4257-859D-4AE29453CA22.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
D

dillon lif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't hurt.
Hello again. Shark is in tank he is sitting at 5 inches exact. Water parameters are 8.3 on PH, O ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Filtration is roughly 700 gal per hour(9 times size of tank) and currently have 3-4 times the purigen needed. Acclimation time was 1 hour for the shark(drip)LFS temp and salinity were the same(1.025 and 78°F). Also have the air pump as well. I didn’t bother trying to feed him night one because he has buried himself under some live rock and has just be hiding( really hope this is normal). Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for him. Always open to help.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello again. Shark is in tank he is sitting at 5 inches exact. Water parameters are 8.3 on PH, O ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Filtration is roughly 700 gal per hour(9 times size of tank) and currently have 3-4 times the purigen needed. Acclimation time was 1 hour for the shark(drip)LFS temp and salinity were the same(1.025 and 78°F). Also have the air pump as well. I didn’t bother trying to feed him night one because he has buried himself under some live rock and has just be hiding( really hope this is normal). Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for him. Always open to help.
Well, you likely don't have 0 Nitrate. Besides that they will hide basically all day until they are very comfortable in the tank and only come out at night. They are nocturnal predators. I would feed very small cut up pieces of wild caught no preservative shrimp and squid (You can get this at a Wegmans). Temp is a little high I would recommend 76 for catsharks. Feed every other day until approximately 16" or longer, then feed every 3 days or until shark is swimming around with the lights on (sign of being hungry).

OP
OP
D

dillon lif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you likely don't have 0 Nitrate. Besides that they will hide basically all day until they are very comfortable in the tank and only come out at night. They are nocturnal predators. I would feed very small cut up pieces of wild caught no preservative shrimp and squid (You can get this at a Wegmans). Temp is a little high I would recommend 76 for catsharks. Feed every other day until approximately 16" or longer, then feed every 3 days or until shark is swimming around with the lights on (sign of being hungry).
Understood I’ll lower the temp a little. On the test it said 0 on nitrate but I think that the test probably isn’t 100% accurate and there is not waste because it’s only been 24 hours since I put the shark in.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Understood I’ll lower the temp a little. On the test it said 0 on nitrate but I think that the test probably isn’t 100% accurate and there is not waste because it’s only been 24 hours since I put the shark in.
How long has the tank been running?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 41 46.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.8%
Back