Chance of ich living in new Chaeto

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am hoping @HotRocks, @Humblefish, @4FordFamily, or anyone else can answer this. I was considering buying some Chaeto from Algaebarn to add to my sump. They claim to QT the Chaeto and call it clean. How likely is a softball size clump of Chaeto to have ich living in it? Do you have to QT the Chaeto by itself? I have no QT set up now because I haven't bought fish in a while or coral and have no plans to in the near future. Any thoughts it opinions are more than welcome! Thanks in advance! [emoji16]

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish has already answered this question and provided recommendations:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quarantining-macroalgae.316061/

FWIW. This is what I did when I purchased chaeto from algae barn with the addition of a leaving the chaeto in a plastic shoe box with tank water and sitting in a window for a week or two. I mostly wanted to insure there wasn't any aiptasia. The chaeto was fine without a heater or circulation and the chaeto from algaebarn was indeed clean.

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish has already answered this question and provided recommendations:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quarantining-macroalgae.316061/

FWIW. This is what I did when I purchased chaeto from algae barn with the addition of a leaving the chaeto in a plastic shoe box with tank water and sitting in a window for a week or two. I mostly wanted to insure there wasn't any aiptasia. The chaeto was fine without a heater or circulation and the chaeto from algaebarn was indeed clean.
Thanks for the info! I missed that info from Humblefish. So you don't need anything special but a box for it and saltwater. So how long did you QT yours again? I love Algaebarn...I buy all my pods from them. Thanks again! [emoji16]

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I missed that info from Humblefish. So you don't need anything special but a box for it and saltwater. So how long did you QT yours again? I love Algaebarn...I buy all my pods from them. Thanks again! [emoji16]

I didn't do anything special. I rinsed it under warmish tap water for a minute and threw it into the shoe box with maybe 2 liters of old tank water. Honestly, I wasn't even great about topping off and the salinity was like 40 ppt at one point. A bucket and light and some flow would probably be ideal. As long as it's room temp, I don't think you need a heater.

I can't say for certain, it's been a few months since I did this, but I think I kept it quarantined about 2 weeks. Per the conversation on the linked thread, that would be enough to eliminate the chance of both ich and velvet.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never actually quarantined chaeto, but I plan to next time I get new chaeto. I plan to do, and I'd recommend doing the 16 day fallow period for chaeto as per the invert quarantine sticky thread. Algae barn is more trustworthy than other sources, imo, but I'd still err on the side of reasonable caution.

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never actually quarantined chaeto, but I plan to next time I get new chaeto. I plan to do, and I'd recommend doing the 16 day fallow period for chaeto as per the invert quarantine sticky thread. Algae barn is more trustworthy than other sources, imo, but I'd still err on the side of reasonable caution.
Yeah that is why I am asking! It is the first time I am buying Chaeto. I thought I would give it a try in my sump. Now I read that thread, and someone asked about Chaeto carrying apstasia and other pests, but his question didn't get answered.....what about ensuring that doesn't happen eaither? LOL....I go through great lengths to no have anything introduced into my display tank. One time I bought 50lbs of live rock from my LFS.....on one large piece I spotted a rather large apstasia nem! I threw the whole piece out! I guess I could have done something else but I was paranoid!!!

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is why I am asking! It is the first time I am buying Chaeto. I thought I would give it a try in my sump. Now I read that thread, and someone asked about Chaeto carrying apstasia and other pests, but his question didn't get answered.....what about ensuring that doesn't happen eaither? LOL....I go through great lengths to no have anything introduced into my display tank. One time I bought 50lbs of live rock from my LFS.....on one large piece I spotted a rather large apstasia nem! I threw the whole piece out! I guess I could have done something else but I was paranoid!!!
I hear you. I'm very cautious about fish parasites, but other stuff like aiptasia, meh. Now, I say this because I've only ever encountered a couple of them here and there in my tanks, I've never had them take over like others have lol. *head in sand* :p

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I'm very cautious about fish parasites, but other stuff like aiptasia, meh. Now, I say this because I've only ever encountered a couple of them here and there in my tanks, I've never had them take over like others have lol. *head in sand* :p
LOL! IKR!!! I couldn't imagine a tank full of apstasia! Yikes!!!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had pretty good success by QTing my chaeto and sea lettuce in a 5 gallon bucket for 16 days. Used a small powerhead to keep the water circulating in the bucket just a bit. Changed out a gallon every 2-3 days. Kept a small grow light on for 10 hours each day.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back