Chemi-pure Elite problem/concern?

JRSE7EN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used this stuff about 10 years ago and it worked fantastically. Recently I ordered the bulk bag and noticed that when I rinse it I can never get it to run clear. If I agitate it a little it gets worse. Am I doing something wrong or did I get a bad batch? I'm on my second bag that I'll probably replace today or just discard the remaining 4 bags because I'm starting not to trust it. I run it in a cup where a filter sock usually goes. Carbon and floss go in the other two sock positions.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the GFO leeches red/brown - not just ChemiPure Elite. If you want some great GFO that doesn't leech and rinses clear - look at Nyos Phosi-EX. You just place it in a mesh bag, rinse for a minute or two and toss it in the tank.

OP
OP
J

JRSE7EN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the GFO leeches red/brown - not just ChemiPure Elite. If you want some great GFO that doesn't leech and rinses clear - look at Nyos Phosi-EX. You just place it in a mesh bag, rinse for a minute or two and toss it in the tank.
I used the BRS GFO and it was never this bad at leeching. The Chemi-pure bag are mostly for convenience and success in the past. The bulk bags seem like a good deal. These Chemi-pure bags are just concerning by how much they're leeching when I rinse them 2-3 times a week. No exaggeration I could sit there and rinse for about a half hour to regain confidence that I'm not hurting in the tank with the tea flavors running out. I don't see anyone else having the same problem in these forums so likely just user error anyway.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be counterfit product, I would contact them on Monday. Where did you purchase it?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the problem is you keep agitating it. Rinse it thorough and flip it a few times. Carbon and GFO are brittle and will break and disintegrate against each other. Dont mush it around in your hand like putty, this is why it gets worse every time you do this. The same thing happens with bulk carbon, You place it in your own bag, rinse it. But if your toss it around or squish it together, you get more debris to come out, because it breaks against itself.

OP
OP
J

JRSE7EN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the problem is you keep agitating it. Rinse it thorough and flip it a few times. Carbon and GFO are brittle and will break and disintegrate against each other. Dont mush it around in your hand like putty, this is why it gets worse every time you do this. The same thing happens with bulk carbon, You place it in your own bag, rinse it. But if your toss it around or squish it together, you get more debris to come out, because it breaks against itself.
Problem is I guess I'm agitating too much. Is a filter sock location a good spot you think or should it go next to a return pump or in that chamber?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've used this stuff about 10 years ago and it worked fantastically. Recently I ordered the bulk bag and noticed that when I rinse it I can never get it to run clear. If I agitate it a little it gets worse. Am I doing something wrong or did I get a bad batch? I'm on my second bag that I'll probably replace today or just discard the remaining 4 bags because I'm starting not to trust it. I run it in a cup where a filter sock usually goes. Carbon and floss go in the other two sock positions.
My last two also did not run clear as it did previously but speaking with a rep, they assure it would settle quickly in which it did. My phos was up a little from recent ICP and its doing its thing currently

OP
OP
J

JRSE7EN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vette I have regained confidence and I'll use the rest as needed. Take care.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back