OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final loss count is 9 or 10 sps colonies. However, not all was lost and I think things are stabilizing. I am still monitoring for some stn from the base up, but hoping it has stopped and what is left will reclaim. I don't think i lost a single zoanthid the entire time (have over 25 kinds) and i hope only 2 euphilia heads. No fish at all were lost or inverts that I have seen.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sorry but you’re not going to be allowed to share information proprietary to the manufacturer that you claim came from a former employee. If indeed it did then all the more reason for you to keep it to yourself.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final loss count is 9 or 10 sps colonies. However, not all was lost and I think things are stabilizing. I am still monitoring for some stn from the base up, but hoping it has stopped and what is left will reclaim. I don't think i lost a single zoanthid the entire time (have over 25 kinds) and i hope only 2 euphilia heads. No fish at all were lost or inverts that I have seen.
Thats rough.. i saw other people lose reefs to this product and i saw many people say never run this stuff if you have corals in your tank.. i think once a colony starts to die out due to this stuff it starts a bio warefare in the tank as dying corals can release toxins into the tank.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a shame, bt it looks like you are eventually going to need to perform a total breakdown of your system.

I used chemiclean a couple months ago for hair algae, with no negative effect

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a shame, bt it looks like you are eventually going to need to perform a total breakdown of your system.

I used chemiclean a couple months ago for hair algae, with no negative effect
Nope still Going strong 5 yrs later but now also have a 220

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that this was updated after 5 years - was looking through posts about this because this essentially just happened to me too. Not to mention, @Knapp870 's scenario was just like mine, in that I used chemi-clean a few years ago with ZERO problems. It did just what I wanted to, no side effects.

Since my house move / tank move, some cyano resurfaced again. I grabbed the SAME box of chemi-clean. Checked for an expiration date, didn't see any. Figured it should be good to go. Threw the dose in there, at about 80% of the recommendation, and turned off the skimmer, just like I did the first time and per melev's advice. After a day and a half or so, tissues from my LPS were literally flying off. Every single coral in the tank looked miserable, and with multiple head losses for most LPS. Just like Knapp, fish and inverts were totally unaffected. Worst of all, this time, it had almost no effect on the cyano.

Just did a 30G water change, turned back on the skimmer, and will probably do another 30G change tomorrow. Accepting that probably most of those LPS are gone, which sucks, because I already didn't have many coral in the tank to begin with. Seems like the common denominator here might be an old batch? I'd suggest for people to make sure you get a new box.

Stupidkitty84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that this was updated after 5 years - was looking through posts about this because this essentially just happened to me too. Not to mention, @Knapp870 's scenario was just like mine, in that I used chemi-clean a few years ago with ZERO problems. It did just what I wanted to, no side effects.

Since my house move / tank move, some cyano resurfaced again. I grabbed the SAME box of chemi-clean. Checked for an expiration date, didn't see any. Figured it should be good to go. Threw the dose in there, at about 80% of the recommendation, and turned off the skimmer, just like I did the first time and per melev's advice. After a day and a half or so, tissues from my LPS were literally flying off. Every single coral in the tank looked miserable, and with multiple head losses for most LPS. Just like Knapp, fish and inverts were totally unaffected. Worst of all, this time, it had almost no effect on the cyano.

Just did a 30G water change, turned back on the skimmer, and will probably do another 30G change tomorrow. Accepting that probably most of those LPS are gone, which sucks, because I already didn't have many coral in the tank to begin with. Seems like the common denominator here might be an old batch? I'd suggest for people to make sure you get a new box.
Good catch on the expiration date. I was mildly tempted to use a box of Chemiclean I bought/used in 2007 when I started my first tank and it went through the uglies. I mean, it does have no expiration date...ugh, glad I didn't use it. I bought a new box off Amazon, treating my tank as we speak, so I'll update if it all goes to the pooper.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back