OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've still been digging (I'm a research junky) and still nothing definitive. I have found cases where people doubled the recommended dose and got good results.

I'm leaning toward two separate causes with 2 separate symptoms. The first is O2 deprivation however this seems to also take out the fish. In every case I have come across where individuals should have had good O2 (skimmer or airstone) they either have Zoa's or don't mention specific coral types. Wide variety in the loss of tank life but SPS's always go first.

Makes me think that this may stress some forms of Zoa's and cause them to release a toxin in the water. Maybe depending on the type of Zoa the poisons would impact other corals/fish differently?

Hmm, I'm not certain. I do have thousands of zoas in this tank

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'm not certain. I do have thousands of zoas in this tank
Not to provide false hope, but I have found at least a few cases where people thought their SPS's were a complete loss but found out they still had some life. Severely damaged but not completely gone. Sounds like quickly responding and using carbon is the top priority.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man sorry about your issues! I have to say that I have used CC many times without issue.

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacteria bloom. are you carbon dosing or running a carbon source? I second running a couple air stones and running carbon in your reactor instead of GFO for now.

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to provide false hope, but I have found at least a few cases where people thought their SPS's were a complete loss but found out they still had some life. Severely damaged but not completely gone. Sounds like quickly responding and using carbon is the top priority.

Yeah, this. Don't be too discouraged yet. When I went through a similar scenario, I thought the whole tank was gone. I've never seen my favia look so bad-white strings hanging out everywhere. No zoas open. Tissue loss on all sps. I was freaking out. But it stabilized out. Everything came back quickly, and the cyano was completely gone as an added bonus. Don't write everything off just yet. Keep doing C and WC and have hope. When we add foreign chemicals into the tank, it's impossible to understand fully everything that will be affected. It's always a roll of the dice. It didn't work out this time for whatever reason, so just focus on getting the chemical out of there. The rest will stabilize out.

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this. Don't be too discouraged yet. When I went through a similar scenario, I thought the whole tank was gone. I've never seen my favia look so bad-white strings hanging out everywhere. No zoas open. Tissue loss on all sps. I was freaking out. But it stabilized out. Everything came back quickly, and the cyano was completely gone as an added bonus. Don't write everything off just yet. Keep doing C and WC and have hope. When we add foreign chemicals into the tank, it's impossible to understand fully everything that will be affected. It's always a roll of the dice. It didn't work out this time for whatever reason, so just focus on getting the chemical out of there. The rest will stabilize out.

Appreciate this. Thank you

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In almost every instance I know of where this has gone bad, there has not been an air source in the tank. The first direction is "Aquarium oxygen levels MUST be increased using heavy aeration or large airstone". Sorry you hare having problems.

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In almost every instance I know of where this has gone bad, there has not been an air source in the tank. The first direction is "Aquarium oxygen levels MUST be increased using heavy aeration or large airstone". Sorry you hare having problems.

Thanks, but as stated several times there were multiple air sources.

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran chemiclean on my old tank which was all softies. I also ran Chemiclean on my current tank which is mostly all SPS. I have never had an issue with live stock. The only annoyance is the skimmer keeps overflowing. One of the club members uses it multiple times a year.. I would use it again in a sec.

That sucks so bad though.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not super cloudy, stuff is pale to white, some still have some polyps very retracted.
Ignoring when you dosed chemi clean.. How many days since this "nuke"? Like how many days since it appeared to go south?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~48 hours since initial dose
I know you said 48 hours since dose. I was wondering when it began to go south? Sounds like a little bacterial bloom. Might actually clear up in a couple days without much intervention. Something similar happened to me while dosing some Dr. Tims products. Took only 3 days and the issue was gone. May not be the same?

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may help with figuring out what went wrong. You must use inside dimensions and measure the water height in your sump. This may also help in any future dosing of anything into your Tank. I wish this could be put up as a sticky I think a lot of people would be surprised how little water there is in their Systems.
http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back