Clown Trigger Question....

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a clown trigger delivered today and he seems healthy and is eating fine and I was expecting a tiny but got an almost 2in fish so overall happy but for one thing... he has no tail. what the heck! Will, he even survive without a tail, he struggles to swim and kind of floats around. Honestly, if I knew he was coming that way, would be ok and got a deal or something is fine. As it is I'm in shock of finding out this and has me ticked off! Has anyone had one without a tail and what's the odds of him living a normal life or will he Parrish soon? Also, he is healed so this wasn't something that just happened, for all I know he could have been born this way. But I can't even notice a wound where his tail would have been.

Also, it's sub-zero outside, -10 or so and my frags and fish arrived perfectly, they were 50 degrees or so. It goes to show that companies that know what they are doing can ship in winter, unlike one of my last orders where everything died and they blamed the shipped. If I'm to ***** about something, I got to give them props for things they did correctly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
With proper diet and water conditions, he should do well.
Post a pic when possible
Be sure acclimation is done well
I recommend floating bags in tank for 20-30 minutes and empty bag into bucket and then add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 minutes- 8 times
I then trap fish in same cup into tank allowing none of that bucket water into tank

OP
OP
rcillig

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, I already floated, dripped acclimated him, and is in the tank. I like to ***** and stuff but I did it properly.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is healed up then there is no chance of a bacterial infection and he will survive just fine. The wobbly swim he likely has, will be just that, that will be his gait. If you were not informed about this, that's a pretty d<<< move, as one of the beauty of triggers is their swim style. He could have born that way or a long healed injury.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right that other aggressive fish and especially other triggers will likely beat him up. Triggers always challenge other triggers, my picasso killed my clown, He is a good looking fish though.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your Clown Trigger doing?

I got one a couple of weeks ago, and have a dilema which tank to put him in once QT is over.
Worried he will bully my other fish.

My clown trigger is quite small but very healthy.

Certainly would appreciate you providing any updates on if things are working out or not.

My Thread about the New Trigger is here, so you can reply either place.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anyone-raise-a-juvenile-clown-trigger-i-need-advice.810854/

OP
OP
rcillig

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put him into a 60g with a small yellow tang, small flame tang & Starey blenny and he is doing great... he gets along with them all. There are a ton of corals in this tank and so far he hasn't done any damage. I feed him frozen food every other day and flakes the other days... without his tail, he does seem to have a bit of trouble when swimming past the powerheads.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back