Clownfish Breeding Data Journal Begins!!!

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the 3rd day since day have hatch. Somewhere 50 plus swimming around. Feeding rotifer 3x a day and sucking out the bottom of the tank of 32oz water and slowing dripping back new saltwater.

By the end of day the Picasso will lay another clutch today. Looks like I need to buy a few 10g tanks.

Heres a video link of day 2 since day hatch.
Just a quick shout to 2 members here on R2R who have share time about there experiences and knowledge regarding clownfish breeding. Thank you gar732 and WesleyC

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the 3rd day since day have hatch. Somewhere 50 plus swimming around. Feeding rotifer 3x a day and sucking out the bottom of the tank of 32oz water and slowing dripping back new saltwater.

By the end of day the Picasso will lay another clutch today. Looks like I need to buy a few 10g tanks.

Heres a video link of day 2 since day hatch.

So Do you feed your rotifers with RG Complete, Nanno or anything? I noticed your water was clear. You have a method?

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Do you feed your rotifers with RG Complete, Nanno or anything? I noticed your water was clear. You have a method?
Day#5 No I'm not using RG
I am using phytoplankton, but not enough to tint the water dark green. What I did I put white paper between the light to minimize the intensity so that I don't blind the larva, but enough lighting for them to see there rotifer. Before I feed the rotifer to the larva, I add roti-reef to rotifer making the rotifet bellies full with phytoplankton this way the rotifer look dark in color, so that the larva can see them.
6a58a56b4e6fbfd7af0b32145cf860aa.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day#5 No I'm not using RG
I am using phytoplankton, but not enough to tint the water dark green. What I did I put white paper between the light to minimize the intensity so that I don't blind the larva, but enough lighting for them to see there rotifer. Before I feed the rotifer to the larva, I add roti-reef to rotifer making the rotifet bellies full with phytoplankton this way the rotifer look dark in color, so that the larva can see them.
6a58a56b4e6fbfd7af0b32145cf860aa.jpg

So you don’t like RG complete? Because I get a dark color with that as well

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all I have purchase RG complete several years ago. Reed mariculture have great products, it's just there shipping method is costly.

What else do you use that? Does it work the same as RG? Like does it have all the nutrients?

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spawned #11 or 12...today is Day#1
Update and question?
Picasso are laying eggs every 10 days in a pot. Each time the cluster are getting larger. This is maybe the 12th spawn since they started their courtship.

The bad news the larva are dying after so many days. By the 8th day are down to 5-6 When started with about a hundred plus. My wife thinks the 32oz water change everyday is the cause of these larvae dying. My 9 year daughter is depress, but more I very disappointed. I'm looking forward in becoming a successful breeder.
I'm feeding 3x a day live rotifer. Lights are own 24/7.

So I have spoken with a couple breeders to find out what im doing wrong, and the question. Am I starving the larvae? Is my rotifer count enough per ml! Today, after I feed rotifer I will scoop up with a vial and see approximately how many rotifer are in a ml.

Phytoplankton question? Is the phytoplankton currently using Good? There was a member here mention RGcomplete!
$20 for a bottle and $26 to ship total $46
This is expensive and the product is no longer live after bottle and shipped.
After talking to a breeder, who mention DIY live phytoplankton. Living 30 minutes from Florida Aqua Farms, yesterday I purchase the ingredients in cultivating Live Phytoplankton. The purpose to have a large quantity on hand, less expensive and mainly having "Live Phytoplankton".

Appreciate any successful breeders to chime in.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day #3 getting to feed rotifer breafeast! Also started my live phytoplankton in 2 liters. The setup underneath my kitchen cabinet. The garage will be too hot next month. This way stay at room temperature. The light is a 2 bulb T5 on 16 hours on timer.
d939592cb4f774f39c9cb1138044d124.jpg
3e94eba652a5d46cb4337055f8bf1951.jpg

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video taken this morning Day #3
Day #3 getting to feed rotifer breafeast! Also started my live phytoplankton in 2 liters. The setup underneath my kitchen cabinet. The garage will be too hot next month. This way stay at room temperature. The light is a 2 bulb T5 on 16 hours on timer.
d939592cb4f774f39c9cb1138044d124.jpg
3e94eba652a5d46cb4337055f8bf1951.jpg

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 days started to feed TDO B1
I can see several coloring up in white, some already have helmets and gladiator helmets with chin straps.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today update July 19th 41 Days
Still eating TDO B1

2nd tank larvae Day 11 days feeding rotifer

3rd tank the eggs Day 7 days, the cluster is the largest.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back