Clownfish pair and Anemone stuck in shipping- Any suggestions

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Fedex was supposed to deliver at 12 today to my house. However, the Clown pair and anemone are stuck in another state with no sign of movement since 11:40pm last night. Best case scenario I get them tomorrow, worst case they come Monday.

Any suggestions of how to go about this once I get them? Any special acclimation/medication procedures I need to employ? I know they are going to have to be stressed to the max, especially the anemone...

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! :( Fingers and toes crossed for you. Hopefully, it is just a scanning error and it still arrives on time. Sadly, I'm still new and haven't experienced this so I don't have any helpful suggestions. Sorry <3

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had livestock that's made it being shipped over 2 days. But the survival rate drops drastically.

I would call and tell them this package contains "Live Marine Animals". UPS once told me the shipment would be delayed until the next day. I called and voiced my concern about these live marine animals that would surely die if they didn't arrive today. They made it on a small delivery truck about 7:30 pm. And lived.

Last edited:

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not had a fish shipped but read somewhere that there is an ammonia buildup that happens as soon as you open the bag and the water interacts with the air to the point to where the ammonia will burn the fishes gills and pass. Follow the advice of the previous poster and get rid of the water the fish is in immediately. Maybe prime can be added to the water the fish is in and negate this effect. However I am not sure hopefully someone with experience having fish shipped will post

OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. Thats along the lines of what I thought, get them temp acclimated and in the water ASAP. Still unsure about the anemone but maybe it won't be as urgent to add. Ive had a lot of marine animals shipped before and this is the first instance of this happening to me, unfortunately.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some methylene blue on hand. It works well at helping fish's gills to absorb O2 better after an ammonia burn.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in South Africa I would see shipments come into the local fish stores from both Asia and the US that had been in transit for days, and it was sometimes a bit scary seeing the state of the fish when they were first floated in the tanks. But it never failed to amaze me how tough most of those fish could be when I could come back a few days later to find most had survived (despite me thinking they were goners). But I agree with some of the assessments above that the rapidly increasing ammonia level (if you stir up the bag water upon opening) would be more harmful than a more rapid acclimation. So be gentle regards any agitation of the "old" water. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well FedEx apparently lost the shipment. I have spoken with various people at Fedex and the only thing that I can be told is our tracing team is on it and we will let you know when the package is located. Well, that package has been in transit since Thursday. So I don't believe the outlook is good for these guys as unfortunate as it is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well FedEx apparently lost the shipment. I have spoken with various people at Fedex and the only thing that I can be told is our tracing team is on it and we will let you know when the package is located. Well, that package has been in transit since Thursday. So I don't believe the outlook is good for these guys as unfortunate as it is.
One rotten mess it will be in the bag and I had same experience with FedEx. They should have had it at a location where you could have intercepted it. … But heck- theyre doing their job. . . to get it delivered even if it takes a month.
They ship as a nature of business. Why are these companies still operating as it seems they are succeeding in delayed and Lost packages as of late !
AND OF COURSE THEY WILL BE THERE WITH YOUR SPOILED GOODS FIRST THING IN THE MORNING WITH A SMILE !

1587336554768.png

OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the conflicts they have with the Covid situation in our country but if they felt like they could not handle an overnight shipment they should cease taking people's money and promising them shipments. The last location was in Memphis, TN and they told me they aren't even sure if its at that location any longer.

Also, with the name VetteGuy; have you purchased your C8 Corvette yet?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I understand the conflicts they have with the Covid situation in our country but if they felt like they could not handle an overnight shipment they should cease taking people's money and promising them shipments. The last location was in Memphis, TN and they told me they aren't even sure if its at that location any longer.

Undecided and will determine that once I have moved to Florida - PRICE IS RIGHT !!

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One rotten mess it will be in the bag and I had same experience with FedEx. They should have had it at a location where you could have intercepted it. … But heck- theyre doing their job. . . to get it delivered even if it takes a month.
They ship as a nature of business. Why are these companies still operating as it seems they are succeeding in delayed and Lost packages as of late !
AND OF COURSE THEY WILL BE THERE WITH YOUR SPOILED GOODS FIRST THING IN THE MORNING WITH A SMILE !

1587336554768.png
I could not have said that better myself. Just recently had another bad experience with a shipping company

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is getting a fish, essential? haha.... Spike the curve!

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is getting a fish, essential? haha.... Spike the curve!
No of course not but the two flats of toilet paper and your meow mix treats you like for dessert that could have been delivered from your grocery store or one of the several delivery service apps definitely are

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Outcome ??

OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outcome ??

Still nothing from Fedex. I reached out again today and the pair of clowns and anemone are essentially lost in transit. At some point, I am wondering if they did not notice that there was live animals and decided not to deliver from an optics perspective. Not wanting me to open the box and find dead contents, posting it on social media, etc... Just an unfortunate situation all around.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back