Connecting the Alkatronic to the Apex controller

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I got the Apex I knew I wanted to have the Alkatronic display DKH in the fusion application and I searched everywhere in the forums both on YouTube, focustronic, here and the Neptune community but came up with no instructions on how to set up the Alkatronic in the fusion application.

Once I received the Apex and the PM1 module I was feeling hesitant about setting it up without any instructions on how to configure the Alkatronic to show DKH in the fusion.

After I figured it out I have to say I now understand why there was no "how to" instructions anywhere explaining the process. It is just straight up plug and play. So here is my highly technical "how to" on setting up the Alkatronic to display through your Neptune Apex in Fusion.
  1. Plug in your PM1 module to the apex.
  2. Connect the PM1 module to the Alkatronic BNC1 port using a BNC cable.
  3. Open up Apex Fusion and label your PM1 probe "DKH" or something like that.
  4. Go to your dashboard and move the new DKH tile onto the board.
  5. Enjoy watching DKH being displayed along with your other vital parameters when you log into Fusion!

OP
OP
JDtimk

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty much it! Did you calibrate the dkh value?
I was planning on having to do that and then when I hooked it up it was already displaying the correct value so I just left it. Is there a method for calibrating the value using the manual calibration that you would recommend?

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Alkatronic will calibrate the BNC port by sending out a Ph10 and Ph7 signal (Via the app), which can be used in lieu of calibration fluid (since there is no ALK probe) with your APEX. So you initiate the APEX calibration of that probe, and when it says to put into cal fluid, you push the button on the Alkatronic and it sends the reference signal. The APEX will stabilize and then move on to the next step. Works like a charm.

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on having to do that and then when I hooked it up it was already displaying the correct value so I just left it. Is there a method for calibrating the value using the manual calibration that you would recommend?

It may be showing a value which seems close but unless you perform the calibration process there’s no assurance that it is correct.

The calibration process is in the Alkatronic manual. http://www.focustronic.net/media/wysiwyg/manuals/Alkatronic_Manual_V3.6.pdf

OP
OP
JDtimk

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be showing a value which seems close but unless you perform the calibration process there’s no assurance that it is correct.

The calibration process is in the Alkatronic manual. http://www.focustronic.net/media/wysiwyg/manuals/Alkatronic_Manual_V3.6.pdf
Thanks. Good point.

I performed the calibration of the BNC signal to the Apex and it seems as though it worked as described. The calibration process stuck the apex in the 10 dkh reading after the process was over and I had to have the alkatronic perform an extra measurement to get the dkh reading to update in the apex correctly.
I tried refreshing fusion, logging out, and powering down the pm1 module with no effect on the signal displayed in the apex, although the alkatronic still was displaying the correct last measurement.
Since I had to have the alkatronic take an extra measurement to update in the apex, I can't tell if the calibration actually changed the signal that it was sending to the apex or not. Either way it is accurately displaying the dkh in apex now (again/still).

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im you're having any problems there is a Facebook group for Focustronic and there is the Focustronic club, and email to Focustronic and Eric or one of the team will talk you through how to resolve your issue or any worries you may have. The after sales service they support I've only seen from one other company in the aquatic industry and they areboth hobby changing companies that are committed to the hobby as they are hobbists themselves.

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need a PM1 if I have the new Apex? Can I connect the Alkatronic to the ORP BNC and rename DKH?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I connect the Alkatronic to the ORP BNC and rename DKH?

That's how I have mine setup. BNC from the Alkatronic to the ORP port, renamed in the dashboard. The dip in the chart is no power last night for several hours, I guess it defaults to 7?

q2tgk.PNG

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one side of the BNC connector that connects to the Apex ORP the same BNC connector to Alkatronic side. I need to p/u cable.

Will-Yum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I have mine setup. BNC from the Alkatronic to the ORP port, renamed in the dashboard. The dip in the chart is no power last night for several hours, I guess it defaults to 7?

q2tgk.PNG

I also wired mine from the Alkatronic to the ORP/PH2 port. My issue is I had to use the PH2 instead of ORP to get the right calibration numbers. Alkatronic sends 7 and 10 calibration and my ORP was asking for 4 and 7.
So my question is how do I rename my PH2 tile? I was able to rename the ORP somehow but now I cant rename the ph2.
I have tried through my Andriod phone and through my desktop but no luck. any help would be great.

TIA

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I have a PH probe for the tank and am currently using the orp port for a PH probe in my CaRx I'll need a pm1, right? Is it possible to use a pm2? It'd be nice to have dual salinity and temp probes (one on tank one in sump for example)

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Good point.

I performed the calibration of the BNC signal to the Apex and it seems as though it worked as described. The calibration process stuck the apex in the 10 dkh reading after the process was over and I had to have the alkatronic perform an extra measurement to get the dkh reading to update in the apex correctly.
I tried refreshing fusion, logging out, and powering down the pm1 module with no effect on the signal displayed in the apex, although the alkatronic still was displaying the correct last measurement.
Since I had to have the alkatronic take an extra measurement to update in the apex, I can't tell if the calibration actually changed the signal that it was sending to the apex or not. Either way it is accurately displaying the dkh in apex now (again/still).

hello, trying to connect the alkatronic via the PM1 to the Apex. I have the same issue with the calibration process stuck for PH 10. It does not seem to find an acceptable range. Wondering what can be done to fix this ?
I tried your method - have alkatronic perform an extra measurement, but that did not work for me.

Wondering if anyone else has connected their alkatronic to the Apex. If yes, how did you perform the calibration.

Any help ?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello, trying to connect the alkatronic via the PM1 to the Apex. I have the same issue with the calibration process stuck for PH 10. It does not seem to find an acceptable range. Wondering what can be done to fix this ?
I tried your method - have alkatronic perform an extra measurement, but that did not work for me.

Wondering if anyone else has connected their alkatronic to the Apex. If yes, how did you perform the calibration.

Any help ?
I’m having this issue too. Has anyone figured out why it’s getting stuck on ph 10.0 signal? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2054.png
    IMG_2054.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 14

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back