Connecting the standpipe and other ....?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys connect your standpipe to the pluming going into the sump? I want it so that I can unhook it from the stand pipe if need be and will have a ballvalve connected just after the pipe connection going into the sump......Also how is it I determain the water level of the sump so that if I lose power the sump will be able to hold the extra water the overflow box is about an inch from the water surface...? The sump for mow I think is going to be 10g. I have the sump planned out and is simple as possiable for now with possiable upgrade at a later date so this 10g has to work for now.....I have looked all over and can't find how the standpipes are connected. I would like for it to be a screw on type connection to the threaded end of the stand pipe that fits down threw the whole.....Any help would be appreciated as this is getting down to the wire.

Tank take down and rebirth will be next week.......

Thanks
James

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bulkheads are threaded on both sides. On each side, I have a male adapter. The standpipe slides in the adapter with a piece of one inch PVC glued into the durso.

On the other side, I have a quick disconnect union (1 inch slip on both sides) that is then fed to the ball valve.

Since i have two standpipes, multiply by two :)

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so one end of the union goes into the PVC pipe that is sticking out of the stand pipe and the other which screws in goes on the pluming for the sump correct? I think I got it now......Did you have to glue both sides into the pipe or do they fit tight enough to not leak? I got PVC adhesive already to that wouldn't be a big deal....Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should clearifiy, since what is pictured on the durso DIY page is exactly what I have. I am wondering what you connect to the exit of the bulk head to the sump pluming....? I can't find like a PVC pipe with a screw on it to screw it to the threads on the bulkhead. So I assume you use a union on the PVC sticking out of the bulkhead and the screw part on the pluming draining to the sump?.....This is the last part of the puzzle I need and haven't seen anything online that shows what they use for it or describes what they use.....I guess it is to simple or I am making it to complicated.....Thanks for your help though....

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have a 1" bulkhead. Each side should be threaded. So, just like the durso has a 1" male adapter for that end of the bulkhead, you'll use a 1" male adapter for the exit side of the bulkhead. That will give you a 1" slip to put 1" PVC into. It's the same male adapter that you would have used at the end of the Durso.

See #2 on the picture: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/BuildYourOwn/tabid/54/Default.aspx

From the 1" PVC, you'll need to create a bend. In my case, I have two 45" unions, instead of usinga 90" elbow. From that bend, I have another piece of 1" PVCS that is then glued into the quick connect.

I guess I should clearifiy, since what is pictured on the durso DIY page is exactly what I have. I am wondering what you connect to the exit of the bulk head to the sump pluming....? I can't find like a PVC pipe with a screw on it to screw it to the threads on the bulkhead. So I assume you use a union on the PVC sticking out of the bulkhead and the screw part on the pluming draining to the sump?.....This is the last part of the puzzle I need and haven't seen anything online that shows what they use for it or describes what they use.....I guess it is to simple or I am making it to complicated.....Thanks for your help though....

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have all of that as described in the example, from a site I just found it looks like they used from the #1(in the pic) bulkhead a Female Hub x slip to screw onto the threads of the bulkhead. Then from the Female hub they have a 3 inch PVC that gets connected to the sump pluming.... I think the bulkhead I have is 1'', sticking out of the base of the bulk head is PVC pipe that is siliconed into it which is an 1'' and is about 1 1/2''-2'' inches long.

I decided it would be easier if I had a picture of what I have.....Here are some pics.....Thanks for your help by the way, this sump crap has gotten me glazed over again....
DSCN1254.jpg

DSCN1253.jpg

I think I got what you saying now but there is the pics.....

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that the drain line is going to be almost straight down from the tank. I planed on having a slight bend at the end to position the water coming out the way I want it to hit the intake part of the sump.....Not sure if that changes anything or not but I dont have to have a lot of plumbing to do just want to make sure I have a ball valve on it so I can shut it down if need be......Thanks again...

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think everyone misunderstood what you were asking, i think i got it because i had a hard time understanding bulkheads when i first started
you dont use the outside threads of the bulkhead, only the inside but you can get a bulkhead that is female threaded on the inside instead of having a slip, that way you can connect the pipe via a threaded connection instead of gluing anything

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think everyone misunderstood what you were asking, i think i got it because i had a hard time understanding bulkheads when i first started
you dont use the outside threads of the bulkhead, only the inside but you can get a bulkhead that is female threaded on the inside instead of having a slip, that way you can connect the pipe via a threaded connection instead of gluing anything

I agree with Fate,

The outside thread on the outside pipe is for tightening the bulkhead end, not for connecting PVC. I thought the same thing myself when I first got mine.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I need to ask you guys now how would you connect what I have to the plumbing? There won't be much PVC being used as the tank is only about 2 feet above the sump.......I assumes I could use a female connetor like a female threaded hub to screw on to the bulk head as well since the threads will be sticking out the bottom of the tank......The one site I looked at that is the way it looked like they did it, but not sure. I just don't want to glue anything to the PVC sticking out that makes is so I can't take the standpipe out if need be, like a slip connector that has to big OD and won't fit threw the whole.....

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you wouldn't use a female piece to connect to the bulkhead because hten you would be increasing the diameter of the pipe.

If the inside of the bulkhead is threaded, you use a male adapter which is threaded on the outside and has a slip end on the other side. The nice thing is that you can remove the male adapter when needed (and if needed).

If the inside of the bulkhead is not threaded (slip) then you just put the pvc directly into it.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good news, I went to Home Depot and took off the dunce cap and got everything I need.....Much easier figuring it all out with the stuff right in front of you.....Balagan you were correct and thank you. Thanks to everybody that tried to help out. The only things I need now are a couple of 45s as HD was out of them......

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel,

I just setup a sump for the first time myself and the one bit of advice I would give you is to buy extra parts, for everything. You can always take them back but you never know when you can get back to get more.

Before you prime and glue the parts mark sure to do a preliminary run with all the plumbing pushed in and pumps running. You may find that your pumps or plumbing isn't running like you want it to be (excess bubbles or too much flow).

Good luck and keep us updated. It took me about two weeks for me to be satisfied with my final plumbing solution.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is working out great, but every 15 min or so there is a gurgling sound in the intake section of the sump. It doesn't happen all the time just wondering how you guys fixed that. Other then that everything is in top working order.....Tested it and won't over flow if power goes out so that is good.......Let me know how you guys fixed the gurgling sound in the sump.....Could I have a little bit to much water in the system over all? Didn't do it at first then I added a bit of water to fill it up a bit more so I couldn't see the water line when looking at it....Thanks.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back