Coral Beauty - Problem?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets (I think that was the name) - soaked w Selcon. And nori clipped - but never seems too interested in the nori.

Is this the only food you're offering? Even soaked in Selcon, that's a fairly limited diet for an angelfish - they're pretty omnivorous. Not saying that you have to, but I offer mine almost a dozen different frozen (mostly blended) foods, as well as periodic nori, clams on the half-shell (they're in the display - a littleneck clam is gone inside an hour) and other treats. Pellets and flake too, on days when I'm home at lunchtime. Betweentimes, they're constantly picking at the liverock for algae or ... whatever.

~Bruce

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets (I think that was the name) - soaked w Selcon. And nori clipped - but never seems too interested in the nori.

I would start adding some meat to the diet. Try some frozen mysis, and or rods food. The incomplete diet is an issue imo.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent food source

Copied from liveAquaria - The diet of the Coral Beauty Angelfish should consist of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, and other quality meaty foods.

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started adding a little more variety in the diet. That may explain the front of the face - but would it explain the three spots on top?

Been reluctant to add the coral Beauty to the DT till I can figure out those three spots - don't want to infect the rest of the clan

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back through this thread to remind myself what all has been done. He went through 30 days of copper, 10 days of kanaplex and prazipro correct? If the kanaplex on it's own didn't kick the infection on the dorsal fin, then you might try running kanaplex and furan 2 together (minimum of 10 days straight). It widens the spectrum to hopefully target the correct bacterium.

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back through this thread to remind myself what all has been done. He went through 30 days of copper, 10 days of kanaplex and prazipro correct? If the kanaplex on it's own didn't kick the infection on the dorsal fin, then you might try running kanaplex and furan 2 together (minimum of 10 days straight). It widens the spectrum to hopefully target the correct bacterium.

Right - except that I did run the furan 2 and Kanaplex together already (14 days)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - except that I did run the furan 2 and Kanaplex together already (14 days)

You could try a completely different set of antibiotics, such as the sulfa drugs i.e. API Triple Sulfa.

Or continue to feed vitamin soaked food and see what happens.

Infections can be a PITA sometimes, because they'll linger. If a fish's natural immune system isn't up to par, it can take a long time for the infection to finally go away. Or sometimes the infection overwhelms the host and kills the fish. :(

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a completely different set of antibiotics, such as the sulfa drugs i.e. API Triple Sulfa.

Or continue to feed vitamin soaked food and see what happens.

Infections can be a PITA sometimes, because they'll linger. If a fish's natural immune system isn't up to par, it can take a long time for the infection to finally go away. Or sometimes the infection overwhelms the host and kills the fish. :(

Ain't that the truth! I guess I would be happier if I could just be certain those three spots on top are caused by more than just nutritional/WQ. Otherwise, if I knew it wasn't a disease, I'd just move it to the DT and the WQ will be better and everybody is fed vitamin soaked food.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back