Coral Finder Database

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to frequent Aquatic Plant Central and they had a plant finder database which was super helpful to both newbies and experts alike. It had pictures, light requirements, difficulty, etc. You could filter by genus, light requirements, difficulty, etc.

Why couldn't we do the same for corals on R2R?

Tropica has something similar, but not as advanced: https://tropica.com/en/plants/

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be worth an attempt, the first problem would be figuring the challenges of correctly identifying the designer corals under different light settings.

Separating and organizing by Genus Species shouldn't be too challenging, it will be collecting the user data for successful parameters (and determining as what qualifies as success - 1 year? 2? 5?). A lot of this data is out there, mainly just need a quality app designer to put it together.

It would be nice to have a digital sorter system that you could use as an aquarium planner to help you pick a coral based on what space you have left in your aquarium. For example, flow, lighting, sandbed vs rock, etc

Then you could select a filter for low flow corals because that's all you have left in your tank and then further select low light because it is under a ledge and be left with options like cynaria and other bubble corals.

OP
OP
Raul-7

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be worth an attempt, the first problem would be figuring the challenges of correctly identifying the designer corals under different light settings.

Separating and organizing by Genus Species shouldn't be too challenging, it will be collecting the user data for successful parameters (and determining as what qualifies as success - 1 year? 2? 5?). A lot of this data is out there, mainly just need a quality app designer to put it together.

It would be nice to have a digital sorter system that you could use as an aquarium planner to help you pick a coral based on what space you have left in your aquarium. For example, flow, lighting, sandbed vs rock, etc

Then you could select a filter for low flow corals because that's all you have left in your tank and then further select low light because it is under a ledge and be left with options like cynaria and other bubble corals.

Precisely; it would solve a lot of problems and minimize redundant questions that would be answered by the Coral Finder Database.

We could also include the same coral under different lighting [actinic, 10K, etc.] like Tidal Gardens does.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure there is a savvy software/app designer on here, if we can also source the data and images then is just a matter of putting it all together and getting people to try it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back