Corals to avoid/corals you regret?

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms as they spread everywhere and are a pain to get rid of.
Additionally sun coral I like they way they look but with the feeding requirements I wasn't able to keep up, one three week trip and I lost half the colony as they starved.

MaugieDawgieCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora (flower pot coral)

For some reason these get sold all the time as "beginner" corals, and an lfs will tell you they are easy to keep.

The reality is, unless you are an expert (or really lucky) this coral will thrive in your system for a few months, then suddenly die for no reason. They seem to do terrible in captivity.

I have found they are extremely easy to keep if they get fed twice a week. And every polyp has to get food. When they don’t get adequate food they wither away in a couple months

flying4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked a great question, and the answers should really fall into three categories. 1) corals that just don't make it; 2) corals that grow so aggressively that they become a nuisance; and 3) corals that have such a nasty sting that they wipe out other corals as they grow.

I'll skip #1, but for #2 I agree with those that mentioned GSP and leather coral. I only recently bought a mushroom...so maybe I'll be regretting that soon (it's doubled in size in just 3-weeks already). For #3 you have to be careful of Acans; they have very long sweepers at night and can melt a neighboring colony in one night. I also have a big War Coral colony that I love, but it is slowly killing and growing over an equally large Psamma. Who kills who is not something you think about when you first start buying frags.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my GSP, as long as you control it its nice
I'd say one no one has mentioned, wall hammer/Euphillia
I've only had experience with the hammer, stick with the braching kind
I don't believe the wall kinds should be in out reefs, not saying you can't have success.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms
pocillipora damicornis
rbta
hydnophora
gsp

All of these took over in some fashion. Next on the list would be green leathers and encrusting montis.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forest Fire digitata. Its spreading like a wild fire. Starting to encroach and kill other corals. Its gonna difficult to remove without pulling out 3 rocks with it.
Oh crap. My forest fire digi is heading toward a couple favorite acros. Who will win?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh crap. My forest fire digi is heading toward a couple favorite acros. Who will win?

Not the acros, ime. I do have a couple that are holding their own but they will eventually be over ran by the ff digi.

Here's a pic. And yes I know I have dinos. Dang things are the bane of my existence.
20200102_194907.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the acros, ime. I do have a couple that are holding their own but they will eventually be over ran by the ff digi.

Here's a pic. And yes I know I have dinos. Dang things are the bane of my existence.
20200102_194907.jpg
Hmmmm. Thanks

:mad:

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms and green star polyps. If you're going for a softie and lps tank they're great. When you start throwing sps in the mix the mushrooms and gsp will win a turf war everytime
your right i have a hairy myshroom getting close to some sps, not sure what to do... lol

medtoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hollywood Stunner. Echinopora lamellosa. Pretty. Grows fast. Plates and shades everything then has long sweepers (only come out at night..they are impressive!) and kills EVERYTHING around it. Wife loves it, but I’m having a difficult time controlling it

Brent Harpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One I haven’t seen mentioned is green stylo maybe all stylo idk(I only have experience with the green one) but I started with one frag now it’s in 4 different places in my tank as it just keeps popping up in random spots.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any coral under 50$ online, has no resale value and just takes over. Montipora especially, looks kind of cool when big but encroaches on everything. Same for easy sps like purple digi it grows quickly and you have to figure out how to get rid of it.
I have been really afraid of cheap zoas, if they spread you will have a tank full of ugly corals that can poison you.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back