0   0   0
Both

poci.jpg

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the encrusting Montis....you will be looking for ways to stop them from encrusting when they start taking over all of your rockwork.

+1 ;Rage ;Muted

Even up the back glass as you can see... Swallowed up other SPS as well. When I moved everything to my new tank, I tried chiselling this off of the rock but ended up throwing it away. It's a very pretty coral so I kept a piece but I've put it on a separate rock so I can try to control it...

IMG_2124.JPEG

Hornet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very helpful. But, oof, all the people saying GSP, that scares me a bit ^.^' .

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very helpful. But, oof, all the people saying GSP, that scares me a bit ^.^' .

I have a ball of GSP. But it is on its own rock on the sand bed, away from anything else. Every month or two I take it out and trim it. So far it hasn't spread anywhere else. It doesn't spread across the sand bed and I think needs to be touching other rock to spread further...

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Kenya Tree. Tried to convince myself that I liked having it spread everywhere.

I was wrong.

Maybe the only thing good to come of my tank crash a few years ago is that all of it finally died!
I will buy Kenya tree polyps from you

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forest Fire digitata. Its spreading like a wild fire. Starting to encroach and kill other corals. Its gonna difficult to remove without pulling out 3 rocks with it.
would you like to sell some to me?

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question.... and one that I spent more time thinking through. I have a 220 g TWV tank. My initial goal was to have it as a mixed reef... but with some nice SPS....and specifically nice acros.

The corals I regret are palys and fuzzy mushrooms. They have absolutely started to take off in my tank. The palys are a nice orange. I have tried nearly everything I can think of to eradicate them. My big fear is to cause a palytoxin issue.... poisoning the tank or myself. I wished I had never ever considered putting them in. I also have some smaller green palys that somehow came in as a hitchhiker. Palys will gain a foothold and start taking off in good reef conditions.

I mentioned green fuzzy mushrooms. I have literally hundreds of them. I have pulled, ripped, removed too many to count. They just grow right back. They are nice for a new tank to get some life in.... and get some color started.... but they again will take off in good reef conditions...and once they get a foothold, they are darn near impossible to eradicate.

One other coral families to be careful of are leathers. I had a huge population of Devils Paws in some of my tanks. In good condition...they will drop buds and reproduce like crazy. I have pulled, ripped and removed. If you leave some materials of foot...they will grow back. Interestingly... I also have some neon toadstools....that I have pulled, ripped and removed that have grown back from nothing now 4 times. I keep giving them away.... and they keep growing back.

I wish some of the acros.... had such a growth habit. Ugh!!!!
I would like palys, fuzzy mushrooms and Devils paw. Will you sell some?

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question.... and one that I spent more time thinking through. I have a 220 g TWV tank. My initial goal was to have it as a mixed reef... but with some nice SPS....and specifically nice acros.

The corals I regret are palys and fuzzy mushrooms. They have absolutely started to take off in my tank. The palys are a nice orange. I have tried nearly everything I can think of to eradicate them. My big fear is to cause a palytoxin issue.... poisoning the tank or myself. I wished I had never ever considered putting them in. I also have some smaller green palys that somehow came in as a hitchhiker. Palys will gain a foothold and start taking off in good reef conditions.

I mentioned green fuzzy mushrooms. I have literally hundreds of them. I have pulled, ripped, removed too many to count. They just grow right back. They are nice for a new tank to get some life in.... and get some color started.... but they again will take off in good reef conditions...and once they get a foothold, they are darn near impossible to eradicate.

One other coral families to be careful of are leathers. I had a huge population of Devils Paws in some of my tanks. In good condition...they will drop buds and reproduce like crazy. I have pulled, ripped and removed. If you leave some materials of foot...they will grow back. Interestingly... I also have some neon toadstools....that I have pulled, ripped and removed that have grown back from nothing now 4 times. I keep giving them away.... and they keep growing back.

I wish some of the acros.... had such a growth habit. Ugh!!!!
I have been using Frank's aiptasia solution on thepalys and it seems to be working. I think it would also work on the mushrooms but I have not tried that yet.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gluing green star polyps to a curved overflow. Difficult to remove and grew into the weir blocking water flow.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back