Corals to avoid/corals you regret?

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting montis for the win. They are so cool at first then you realize you're losing a whole rock. I have mystic sunset on one side of my Walt Disney and rainbow on the other.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously stated:

Pocillopora. That stuff will send polyps all over your tank before you know it, and it stings the stuff you actually want.

Certain mushrooms - for me it has been orange ricordeas and green/purple hairy mushrooms. They overrun everything.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora (flower pot coral)

For some reason these get sold all the time as "beginner" corals, and an lfs will tell you they are easy to keep.

The reality is, unless you are an expert (or really lucky) this coral will thrive in your system for a few months, then suddenly die for no reason. They seem to do terrible in captivity.

Yep I fell into that trap at an LFS and was told that it is easy to keep. Everything was fine for about two months and then it withered away.

OP
OP
J

Jellyfisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a coral but I kind of regret my anemone. Like a walking bomb with my other corals. Started with one small one and then it grew massive and split. At most I had 5. Currently got it down to two and they haven’t moved or split in the last few months.
Wow, it eventually split into 5? What kind of anemone is it?

OP
OP
J

Jellyfisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I fell into that trap at an LFS and was told that it is easy to keep. Everything was fine for about two months and then it withered away.
Same! Except mine didn’t even make it past the one-month mark...

tgionet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am new (obviously) and working on my first reef tank - 265g, ideally mixed reef, about 7 months in.

For those of you have have been around the block a few times, what corals would you avoid if you knew then what you know now? Any corals you regret adding to your tank? I know to stay away from Xenia and the like, but anything else you would put on the no-go list?
Pocillopora
Monti Cap
Kenya Tree
Xenia
Any palythoa

MaugieDawgieCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked a great question, and the answers should really fall into three categories. 1) corals that just don't make it; 2) corals that grow so aggressively that they become a nuisance; and 3) corals that have such a nasty sting that they wipe out other corals as they grow.

I'll skip #1, but for #2 I agree with those that mentioned GSP and leather coral. I only recently bought a mushroom...so maybe I'll be regretting that soon (it's doubled in size in just 3-weeks already). For #3 you have to be careful of Acans; they have very long sweepers at night and can melt a neighboring colony in one night. I also have a big War Coral colony that I love, but it is slowly killing and growing over an equally large Psamma. Who kills who is not something you think about when you first start buying frags.
Do acans sting other acans? Or can you lump acans together?

MaugieDawgieCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your right i have a hairy myshroom getting close to some sps, not sure what to do... lol
Taking about hairy mushrooms is extremely inappropriate on a family friendly forum. My two year old is on R2R all the time and I would appreciate it if you refrained from talking about adult topics.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It grows super fast and puts out these long, nasty stinging tentacles. Very aggressive.

See this is actually one of my favorites. I do try to keep it higher than everything else, so it doesn't sting. But it's easy to frag (like breaking a potato chip) and still in enough demand that the frags are worth some money.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back