CRYING, VELVET, HELP

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first let me say I do not have a QT. All fish were introduced together about 2 months ago. Naso, 2 Valmingi, clown tang, purple dottyback, two whiteout blizzard clowns. Yesterday I came home to find the dottyback down on the sand (wifes favorite fish in the tank) dead. There has been absolutely no aggression in the tank, I feed well. I have only add some new corals so I'm not sure if this is where it may have came from.

Pretty sure it's velvet Clown tang, Naso, and one of the Valmingis are staying in the powerheads flow pretty constantly.
I only see spots on the Naso but it was few last night to tons today, one Valmingi has clouded eyes but no spots and stays hidden, read this could be he's now light sensitive. The other one is in the flow or flashing constantly. Clown tang no visible spots but constantly in water flow. The clowns seem fine just doing their normal swimming.

I cannot tear this thing apart, I was reading about (polyp lab medic) does this work? I'll see if I can get it locally or overnight ship.
I am set up with automatic water changes with the Dos 3 gallons a day, salinity, temp, ph, all stay in the same range. Trident shows no drastic fluctuations.
I just traded for a UV from a member here hoping it gets here soon.

Picture of the Valmingi is for the cloudy eye he does not have spots of the parasites on him the marks are how he has looked everytime he goes dark since I received him.

Any promising help would be greatly appreciated.

20211229_090620.jpg 20211229_090556.jpg 20211228_175850_capture(1).jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since some disease treatment involves copper in the medication you can not treat your DT or it will seep into rocks and you will not be able to sustain corals or inverts. QT is recommended for treatment and fallow period for DT.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that but I have no options here. I want to know if there is anything that I can treat with that isn't copper. I have enriched their food with garlic and everyone is still eating. Just sucks to see them in this situation. My kiddo is going nuts about it too.

Melanie Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had velvet I set up a temporary tank with just a sponge filter so i could treat the fish with copper. I dosed it everyday day with a product called Seed. Everyone lived and it gave my main tank time to be fallow so the velvet could go away. It was a pain but velvet kills so fast it was all i could do at the time. I qt everything now. Good luck

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

maybe buy 2, 20 gallon breeders and set the up as qt tanks for ttm, then go fallow for a while, but waiting on Jay to come in with his verdict

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first let me say I do not have a QT. All fish were introduced together about 2 months ago. Naso, 2 Valmingi, clown tang, purple dottyback, two whiteout blizzard clowns. Yesterday I came home to find the dottyback down on the sand (wifes favorite fish in the tank) dead. There has been absolutely no aggression in the tank, I feed well. I have only add some new corals so I'm not sure if this is where it may have came from.

Pretty sure it's velvet Clown tang, Naso, and one of the Valmingis are staying in the powerheads flow pretty constantly.
I only see spots on the Naso but it was few last night to tons today, one Valmingi has clouded eyes but no spots and stays hidden, read this could be he's now light sensitive. The other one is in the flow or flashing constantly. Clown tang no visible spots but constantly in water flow. The clowns seem fine just doing their normal swimming.

I cannot tear this thing apart, I was reading about (polyp lab medic) does this work? I'll see if I can get it locally or overnight ship.
I am set up with automatic water changes with the Dos 3 gallons a day, salinity, temp, ph, all stay in the same range. Trident shows no drastic fluctuations.
I just traded for a UV from a member here hoping it gets here soon.

Picture of the Valmingi is for the cloudy eye he does not have spots of the parasites on him the marks are how he has looked everytime he goes dark since I received him.

Any promising help would be greatly appreciated.

20211229_090620.jpg 20211229_090556.jpg 20211228_175850_capture(1).jpg

The larger spots seem to indicate late-stage marine ich, Cryptocaryon.

Can you post a short video? That would help me confirm their respiration rate, and help decide if it is ich or velvet..

Either way, the problem is that the best treatment would be copper, in a treatment tank. Hyposalinity would work if it is ich, but not if it is velvet (Amyloodinium). With both issues - once fish loss has happened, it is very difficult to stop the progression in time to keep other fish from dying (I know, not very good news, sorry!)

Polyp Lab Medic is a possible reef treatment, but the efficacy is mixed, and most people who have good success with it dose at a higher level and then it isn't truly reef safe.

Jay

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hybrid TTM which manages both ich and velvet with great success but I think it’s too late for these guys. Think copper is the only way to go at this point.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't even think I can get these guys out of the DT. They are still so fast and plenty of hiding spots for them. This is so horrible.
Ok I turned the lights on and everyone is now covered can't see it on the clowns. Tried to take a video but can't download it.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I can do for pictures.

Attachments

• 20211229_142723.jpg
    20211229_142723.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20211229_142706.jpg
    20211229_142706.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 20211229_142653.jpg
    20211229_142653.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20211229_142650.jpg
    20211229_142650.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I'm
The larger spots seem to indicate late-stage marine ich, Cryptocaryon.

Can you post a short video? That would help me confirm their respiration rate, and help decide if it is ich or velvet..

Either way, the problem is that the best treatment would be copper, in a treatment tank. Hyposalinity would work if it is ich, but not if it is velvet (Amyloodinium). With both issues - once fish loss has happened, it is very difficult to stop the progression in time to keep other fish from dying (I know, not very good news, sorry!)

Polyp Lab Medic is a possible reef treatment, but the efficacy is mixed, and most people who have good success with it dose at a higher level and then it isn't truly reef safe.

Jay
So I'm going to purchase a 20 now. What copper do I need to pick up? Heater and air pump? How often on water changes for this treatment? Still offer food? I have plenty of water mixed, and plenty of salt for more. I have 50 gallons for my auto water change. Same temp salinity and ph.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appears to be ich over velvet. With ich, you can count the spots. Also Mucus spores on tang suggest ich.
The best ich treatment is copper-based medication. Rather than treating the main aquarium, move the sick fish to a bare bottomed quarantine or treatment tank. This should be aerated and have the same water conditions as the main aquarium. Coppersafe (My preference) treats both freshwater and saltwater ich, along with other diseases, including Velvet (Oodinium) and other external parasites. However, because it is a copper-based treatment made from chelated copper sulfate. To use Coppersafe, add 1 teaspoon of medication for every 4 gallons of water, or 1 cup of every 190 gallons. The solution will remain active in the tank for more than one month.
Cupramine, a copper-based treatment from Seachem, treats not only saltwater ich, but also other ectoparasites in freshwater and saltwater tanks. An ionic copper medication, rather than chelated copper, it is non-acidic and doesn't damage the biofilter bacteria. To use Cupramine, turn off UV filters and ozone filters, and remove chemical filtration, such as activated carbon. For every 10.5 gallons of water, use 1 mL of treatment, and then wait 48 hours. Repeat the treatment, and leave at this concentration for 14 days. Test the water for copper levels before redosing the tank.

>>>>> WHEN USING ANY COPPER IN WATER - HAVE A RELIABLE TEST KIT TO MONITOR LEVELS. IT'S A MUST <<<

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I'm

So I'm going to purchase a 20 now. What copper do I need to pick up? Heater and air pump? How often on water changes for this treatment? Still offer food? I have plenty of water mixed, and plenty of salt for more. I have 50 gallons for my auto water change. Same temp salinity and ph.
of you don't want to spend money on quarantine aquariums, buying bins from hardware store is cheaper option. that what i did when i had ich very first time.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its alright vette, i linked humblefishes whole qt guide, so they should be good if they follow that

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back