OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following your thread and just signed up to say sorry for your loss.
I'm also currently completing a 76 day fallow but I am completing TTM instead of copper, I have had bad experiences with copper in the past.

My gamble was after having a almost 2 year ich free tank I decided to add a Powder Blue Tang to my tank, he went through 3 tank change through TTM and wouldn't eat and I was very worried about his behaviour in the QT so I skipped the last (4th) TTM and now i regret it..... I have learnt my lesson too!

Thanks for tagging along, and for the condolences. I'm still hurting from losing him, but I'll try another soon. It's one of my favorite fish.

I hope your fallow period goes well and all your fish make it back to the display!

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, guess what time it is? Fallow-time is up! Well, technically it's a day early (and I may or may not have put them in last night) but we've already established that I like to gamble [emoji12]With something like 99.7% odds (don't quote me on that) I'm willing to take the chance. Warning boys and girls: don't do this at home!

The only poor soul not coming home quite yet is the Mandy. She's stayed nice and plump in her little refuge munching ova, so I've decided to keep her there until I can source CP. Since there is a possibility that it could have been velvet vs. ich, I'm not willing to chance TTM.

Unfortunately, my own vet can't help so I'll have to do a little searching :/

Anyway, without further delay: the fish! Ps. I used cheesy stock music to cover up the background noise so feel free to mute it [emoji86][emoji38]

4507fb33d97db2c3f06cd345a2c9aa8b.jpg

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone, I definitely learned a great deal through this process. Special thanks to @Humblefish and the #reefsquad for all the help and great advice!

Considering I had ich/velvet AND a stubborn bacterial infection, we made out pretty well! And...I may or may not be waiting on a replacement flame wrasse as we speak ;) I can't leave my QT tanks empty, now can I? [emoji12]

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks beautiful! Well done, the end result is so rewarding!!

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth,

You deserve a special Reef2Reef “Award for Best Quarantine Practices!” You never gave up regardless of all the issues that swam your way. You’ve also proven that QT doesn’t have to fail. Your fish are living proof that copper treatments, a variety of antibiotics, fresh water dips, antiseptics, gallons and gallons of water, time, specialized foods, patience, knowledge, asking questions, and lots of TLC can mean the difference between “life and death” for earth’s most precious animals. Sure, not every fish is going to make it despite all efforts, but the key to successful aquarium reef keeping is “motivation and determination”; you had both. If you read back to post #1, you quoted, “I have a plan”. Yes, you did and you followed through all the way to a “Happy Tank”. Many of us will & have learned from your generous time educating us all. Thank you.

Empress >^..^<

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Empress Wow, thank you for your kind words! I don't think my efforts were best practices though, I think anyone could do as well with all the knowledge and expertise available here at R2R :)

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft golf clap [emoji122] [emoji122] for a job extremely well done. I'm glad to see you made it through it. Awesome job.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like the crypto is not gone after all [emoji35][emoji35]

All of the original fish are still looking great, but the two new guys both have spots today. That tells me that the original fish have developed a temporary immunity, and either the couple of days early made a difference (put the fish back around day 74/75) or, more likely at some point I cross-contaminated without realizing.

I'm in the process of trying to talk my H into starting again...but he's understandably discouraged and wants to give it a few more days to see if they can fight it off.

What a bummer...makes it really hard to enjoy a fish tank when it's nearly impossible to get clean, healthy fish and even more difficult to get rid of the stuff they inevitably bring into your aquarium [emoji30][emoji30]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back