Crypto wins the gamble- QT Journal

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do hate bacterial infections. Sometimes they can just be so darn stubborn! and trying to find the right antibiotic for the right bacteria can be a headache from time to time.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do hate bacterial infections. Sometimes they can just be so darn stubborn! and trying to find the right antibiotic for the right bacteria can be a headache from time to time.
This x10 - the time to time part.

I keep ;Bookworm so I can be a ;Doctor or ;Nurse but I always end up :confused:

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the sulphaplex last night, but holy vague instructions?! From the package:

Use 2 to 3 measures for every 40L (10 US gallons). Dose may be increased up to four-fold if symptoms do not subside.

Increased four-fold? I used the higher dose 3 measures: 10 gallons. The flame wrasse looks worse today, his eyes are getting cloudy and one is starting to swell. How much should I add? Or maybe I should try adding in the neoplex like humble mentioned? Any advice? Prepping a rally bath in any case...

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I've been meaning to post an update on the Mandy. It's still doing well, maybe not sausage-like but definitely has a nice round belly. I've been adding pods every week or two (whenever my LFS has them) He's still eating ova as well.

Here's a little video clip of him:

Don't mind the excessive algae, the pods like it ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I've been meaning to post an update on the Mandy. It's still doing well, maybe not sausage-like but definitely has a nice round belly. I've been adding pods every week or two (whenever my LFS has them) He's still eating ova as well.

Here's a little video clip of him:

Don't mind the excessive algae, the pods like it ;)

I have got to get myself one of those lil guys! Just so nervous about getting one through QT. ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got to get myself one of those lil guys! Just so nervous about getting one through QT. ;Nailbiting

Get the ova! This one was very thin when we got him and not much fatter by the time he moved to QT. He went right to the ova in QT, and looks better now than he ever has.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the ova! This one was very thin when we got him and not much fatter by the time he moved to QT. He went right to the ova in QT, and looks better now than he ever has.

Do you keep the Ova going in the DT? I think I would like to get myself one as well, but I do not run a refugium, as I am using ZeoVit, so I am afraid that natural populations of pods will not be adequate.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you keep the Ova going in the DT? I think I would like to get myself one as well, but I do not run a refugium, as I am using ZeoVit, so I am afraid that natural populations of pods will not be adequate.

I'm going to play it by ear, since I have wrasses who might compete with him for pods in the 120 I think I might still offer it maybe a few times a week. I just know that the algae in his QT has literally exploded from feeding it daily, so not sure I want all that going on in my display tank...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, I'm fairly certain that mandy is a female :D

As for the wrasse.... The sulpha only just went in today right? I hate to have you pull a med or change it after only a few hours. You can certainly try adding the neoplex to it. I just dont' have enough experience using these two meds to be confident in advising about them. :(

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, I'm fairly certain that mandy is a female :D

As for the wrasse.... The sulpha only just went in today right? I hate to have you pull a med or change it after only a few hours. You can certainly try adding the neoplex to it. I just dont' have enough experience using these two meds to be confident in advising about them. :(

Yes, her. I'm not sure why I always feel like mandarins should all be a "him" lol

I think I'm going to try adding the neoplex in rather than up the sulphaplex dose any more. Humble was reluctant to advise using it at all on sensitive fish, but I feel like I need something a little stronger to get this thing under control. I wish all of my fish didn't have to be the guinea pigs though...I'm really contemplating trying to get another QT together for this guy.

But, I figure the others have already been exposed to whatever bacterial thing this is...so it makes sense to treat everyone together and make sure it's gone.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so did another rally bath on the flame last night and added the neoplex in. No change on the flame so far this morning, but no worse either. The sulphaplex will need dosed again tomorrow night, I just need to figure out how much I should use.... I'm not sure if I should try upping it or just hold at the 3:10 ratio a bit longer? Also, neither of the instructions call for a water change, but wondering, since I'm combining them, if it might not be a bad idea before dosing again. Ugh, this is a tough one....

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't say "never", but water changes are rarely a bad idea.

I do know that most antibiotics break down fairly quickly - hence the daily to every-two dosing regimens. I'd think though, that they'd leave some sort of residue, which water changes would help to flush out.

~Bruce

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulphaplex and Neoplex are going on day 5, and still not much change. At least the fish are all still eating and looking otherwise ok, but this bacterial thing is a tough one. I'm going to finish this round out, and then remove the copper before trying again with something else. I think the copper might actually be hindering the wrasses ability to fight it off.

I'm going to order the n. green powder I think. It has the two hardest hitters from each treatment I've done so far, the sulpha and furan. I think that, plus removing copper, might be the ticket.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting bacteria can feel like playing darts - blindfolded.

You know you have an effective weapon - against _something_ - but you can't really be sure that what you're aiming at is what you need to hit.

That's the way it feels, anyway . . .

I hope this turns a good corner for you, and soon!

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, I've not dealt with much bacterial, personally. I've not won any battles against it, on the rare occasion I've come across it, either. I have found what I suspect to be gram negative, both times.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the treatments have been enough to keep the afflicted fish alive, with regular antiseptic baths and continuing back-to-back antibiotics. But, I just can't turn the corner to "recovery".

This last treatment, without the copper, will be the last. Regardless of the outcome, I'll be removing all medications after and letting the chips fall where they may. The healthy fish need a break.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the treatments have been enough to keep the afflicted fish alive, with regular antiseptic baths and continuing back-to-back antibiotics. But, I just can't turn the corner to "recovery".

This last treatment, without the copper, will be the last. Regardless of the outcome, I'll be removing all medications after and letting the chips fall where they may. The healthy fish need a break.
I think that is wise. Eventually, when it comes to bacterial infections, the fishes natural immunity needs to take over. Antibiotics only assist in that process. At some point all the medications will get to the point where failure is the only option. It sucks that the fish may not make it, but I agree that it is time to pull the meds and see how it does.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the flame took a quick turn for the worse this evening. Color is off, swimming erratically, and more of that white film. It's fins are a bit torn up as well. He was really struggling to keep himself afloat. I pulled him for an emergency rally bath and set up a clean 10g QT with no medications. If he's still here by morning I'll try to decide what to do next.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back