OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try Petco? They usually carry coppersafe.

Good luck with the Tang I can never catch mine without breaking the tank down [emoji24]

Yep,they don't have it. I think I'll get him. It just depends how long it takes him to get his courage back...

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco stores near me carry "Kordon Safe Copper-Aid" which isn't the same thing at all. It's probably chelated copper, but you'll need at least three bottles to do what they claim one will do. Took me three and a half bottles to bring a 75 gallon into therapeutic range.

~Bruce
Mine carrys coppersafe and coppermine... interesting how they carry different ones

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: new development for my not-really-eating regal angel

It's eating something, it just took a huge #2. Mostly red, so I think it's been picking at the red sponge I put in there with it. Or the red algae. But, after the bm I noticed a white string hanging...internal parasites.

It's not eating, I'm not sure how to get it to take the metro/focus. Also, I'm getting ready to start copper and kanaplex. Will adding it to the water help at all? @Humblefish @melypr1985

With all those fish I might add another powerhead at the surface. I do have an airline to throw in too.

If he's not eating and has internal parasites, your only option is to dose the water with metro (every 48 hrs) and hope enough of the medication gets absorbed internally.

Or this is technically another option: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-tube-feed-a-fish.250694/

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I don't know if I'm brave enough for that one lol I'll show it to my husband

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Victory is mine!
b3e01a19a064c1511b2d4ab2bd15fe8d.jpg

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I had convinced myself to only do an observational qt this thread pops up. I am also taking the risk of not qting my inverts and corals. So I wonder if it really is worth the effort to try to prophylactically treat, especially when most of my fish will be wrasses. I haven't had any luck so far, either.
Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I had convinced myself to only do an observational qt this thread pops up. I am also taking the risk of not qting my inverts and corals. So I wonder if it really is worth the effort to try to prophylactically treat, especially when most of my fish will be wrasses. I haven't had any luck so far, either.
Thanks for sharing.

QT all the things! I'm never doing this again - I hope [emoji37]

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing.
I feel like wrasses might actually be the most important fish to treat, if you'll have anything else in with them, you can find so many threads here about how the wrasse (usually a melanarus) was the only thing to survive, never showed signs, etc.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like wrasses might actually be the most important fish to treat, if you'll have anything else in with them, you can find so many threads here about how the wrasse (usually a melanarus) was the only thing to survive, never showed signs, etc.

Exactly, they are often "carriers" but resistant themselves because of their thick slime coats. Same as the mandarin I didn't QT that probably brought it in...

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly, they are often "carriers" but resistant themselves because of their thick slime coats. Same as the mandarin I didn't QT that probably brought it in...
And it sucks because they are so sensitive to copper and cp.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I sit in my lawn chair in my basement, net and cold drink in hand while staring at a Chinese food container full of sand, I'm thinking copper sounds pretty good right now.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with experience with angels in QT.

This regal nips a red sponge, a few bites of algae from the rocks, and a flake or two when eating bubbles at the surface of the water. That's it so far.

I'm adding the first small bit of copper, hopefully be therapeutic in the next 3-4 days. Can I cut small pieces of the sponge to throw to it? How long do you think sponge can survive in copper? I can get more of this red sponge from my LFS. I'm not sure what else I can feed him with the live rock all gone and him still not showing any interest in live or frozen foods.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with experience with angels in QT.

This regal nips a red sponge, a few bites of algae from the rocks, and a flake or two when eating bubbles at the surface of the water. That's it so far.

I'm adding the first small bit of copper, hopefully be therapeutic in the next 3-4 days. Can I cut small pieces of the sponge to throw to it? How long do you think sponge can survive in copper? I can get more of this red sponge from my LFS. I'm not sure what else I can feed him with the live rock all gone and him still not showing any interest in live or frozen foods.
I think Hikari makes a frozen food that has sponges in it? I don't remember the name though.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Hikari makes a frozen food that has sponges in it? I don't remember the name though.

Yea, he doesn't eat frozen anything. I have a bunch of different "angel blends". I literally spent $20 at the LFS for a live sponge for it [emoji15]

Everyone is settling into the QT. I dosed 4ml of cupramine over two doses, so up to about .2. Also added the first kanaplex dose. So far so good!

392f1b81ecf6284ced2fe3d953a5c1ae.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth Have you tried live blackworms, live brine, littleneck clams, black mussels? Those are my "go tos" whenever I QT a Regal Angel.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth Have you tried live blackworms, live brine, littleneck clams, black mussels? Those are my "go tos" whenever I QT a Regal Angel.

Yes to all those, except maybe the black mussels but I have some. I have that ova coming too, it kind of picked at the shad roe so maybe that will interest him.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back