Cupramine vs copper safe

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Cupramine in the past with great success. Do not use simultaneously with Prime.

Once done, use carbon to extract. Overload on the amount of carbon that you use to extract it, meaning the more the merrier. Salifert makes a decent copper test kit.

I've never had an issue of it not getting the job done. You need to test the copper level though. The only complaint I have is that it seems to be tough on some fish. I think I killed a Bicolor Angel with it and there's been other fish that did not tolerate very well.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which one should I pick up? CopperPower or CopperSafe?

As far as I'm aware, they're similar enough (except for the label on the bottle) that you'd be fine with either one.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody's tried both with any better results over the other?

Before CP, I used Coppersafe for many years with excellent results. However, I also know many (in the know) now using Copper Power who also report excellent results. So, pick your poison (literally). Chelated copper is chelated copper. ;)

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be trying to save money. Most public aquariums I deal with operate with very poor funding. They don't even get to keep most of their entry fee. :confused:
That's what I figured. I just thought straight from the vet would be pretty cheap.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting in a Hawaiian fish this week (due to the recent ruling on Friday out of Hawaii) and plan to QT them. Will be going with Copper safe, but since it is more than one fish in the QT I was planning on using the ammonia reducing pads as part of filtration. Is this safe since it isn't a water additive that will lower available O2?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robby2782

As @ecam pointed out there are a few species which typically do not fare well in CP: Hippo Tang, Sixline Wrasse and Melanurus Wrasse all come to mind. However, I've successfully tested it on dozens of flasher & fairy wrasses without issue.

Just wanted to confirm... I used Coppersafe on my fairy wrasse, which was a PITA. I only used because I thought I couldn’t use CP (the real stuff). Also, what about H. genus wrasses?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to confirm... I used Coppersafe on my fairy wrasse, which was a PITA. I only used because I thought I couldn’t use CP (the real stuff). Also, what about H. genus wrasses?

I advise against it. I lost both a H. chrysus and H. melanurus in CP.

Both ended the same way: Never ate whilst in the medication, withered away and died within a week.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I advise against it. I lost both a H. chrysus and H. melanurus in CP.

Both ended the same way: Never ate whilst in the medication, withered away and died within a week.

Ok, but fairies and flashers are ok? I want to add one more fairy, 2-3 flashers, and a H. chrysus or some other H. wrasse. If I can use CP, I would QT the fairy and flashers together and then the H. by itself with copper.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but fairies and flashers are ok? I want to add one more fairy, 2-3 flashers, and a H. chrysus or some other H. wrasse. If I can use CP, I would QT the fairy and flashers together and then the H. by itself with copper.

I've personally not had any problems running Fairy Wrasses thru CP. I've used it to successfully QT over a dozen of them. I really don't have enough experience with Flashers & CP to say for sure with them. I did lose more Flashers than I saved with CP, but many of those were already sick when I got them.

However, many other people have had nothing but failure using CP on all types of wrasses. So this is why I recommend only using copper on wrasses for now, until more research can be done.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally not had any problems running Fairy Wrasses thru CP. I've used it to successfully QT over a dozen of them. I really don't have enough experience with Flashers & CP to say for sure with them. I did lose more Flashers than I saved with CP, but many of those were already sick when I got them.

However, many other people have had nothing but failure using CP on all types of wrasses. So this is why I recommend only using copper on wrasses for now, until more research can be done.

Ok. Copper just scares me, but I’ll get the high-dollar test kit and treat with copper. CP is just so easy, and the fish I’ve quarantined with CP have shown no ill effects during treatment.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which coppersafe you use? fritz? thx

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is a brand name, owned by Fritz/Mardel for their chelated copper product. (They also make another, lesser-known product, which I've had lower success with - and found balls of what appeared to be some kind of mold / fungus at the bottom of.) Copper Power is another well regarded brand. _Do_not_ try Kordon's "Safe Copper Aid" - it's hopelessly diluted.

Coppersafe is the brand I use.

~Bruce

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to make sure I understand the consensus on wrasses.... Generally, copper safe is best for all bec soMe wrasses like melanaurus don't tolerate regular copper?

I recently decided to do hypo on my QT when there was an ich outbreak in there. It has resolved the ich (I'm only on week 2 after reaching hypo zone (1.008-1.009 with daily calibrated refractometer), but not long after I started to lower salinity (about .002 per day total), a fairy wrasse that had been doing well (eating/no visible signs of disease), died. I didn't have copper safe on hand and once I had the salinity down I didn't want to risk osmotic shock by raising too quickly.

I plan to add fairies and maybe a Christmas wrasse in the future. I don't want to try hypo on them again though. So.... copper safe is the best bet?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back