Custom New Aquarium Design ?

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Planning to get back into the reef aquarium hobby after a 10 year absence from it. Everything has changed so much from my first attempt so many years ago, technology, equipment and the helpful information available to the new aspiring reefer! Just amazing!

So I am at the very beginning of my research for tank/equipment and knowledge I will need to become successful.

So as with anything new I have a lot of questions and need experienced input and guidance, hopefully you seasoned reefers and members of this community will be willing to help out?

My questions I hope will not be to simplistic and annoying but I'm sure some will be unfortunately, sorry guy's and gal's!

So with that said let me start with my questions. I would like to have Reef Savvy build me my tank. Anybody have experience with this company? I've read nothing but good experiences with this builder. I know there is a long waiting time for a tank build but I am in no hurry and have much planning and research to do plus saving up the cash supply to set out on this exciting endeavor!!!

The tank size I have chosen to begin and learn with is H 2' × L 3' × W 2' approx. 74.81 gallons.

What do you guy's think about my volume and dimensions choice for a newbies choice to start out with?

The tank will have the new ghost overflow and all of their top upgrade choices. I'm waiting on a quote on cost and time frame from them which I just put in last night. I'm sure it will cost a pretty penny but I prefer quality in all my purchases, as they say you get what you pay for!!

#2? Among millions, lol, this time around I want to have a complete control/monitoring system implemented to help me manage my new Reef, I am 99% convinced to go with the new Apex/Fusion controller.

Any thoughts or opinions on the Apex/Fusion + or - ? Can a less than tech savvy guy learn this controller and it's functions?

Well 2 questions at a time is enough. A penny for your thoughts,opinions and advice on this new adventure of mine would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks everyone!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig,

Welcome back into the hobby and welcome to our R2R family too.

Felix at Reef Savvy builds second to none in custom tanks.
Long waiting list and shipping is expensive.

You will do great with Apex/Fusion and the DOS pumps are wonderful.

If your not going to run MH/T5 lighting and it's still the best, then look into the GHL Mitra 7's.

Regards, GoVols

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig,

If your not going to run MH/T5 lighting and it's still the best, then look into the GHL Mitra 7's.

Regards, GoVols
Tha
Craig,

You will do great with Apex/Fusion and the DOS pumps are wonderf
Craig,

Regards, GoVols
Thank you GoVol!
I'm currently looking into the LED'S as my lighting source, such as the Kessle A700 and others because of there controlability. Maybe a combination LED/T5'S set up, so much to research and learn, I love It!

Just spoke to Felix at REEF SAVVY and he recommended that I change my dimensions to H 20"× L 48" × W 24" as a better option to go with than the H 24" × L 36" × W 24" I had requested, who know might even go slightly bigger!

Regards, GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to get about a million opinions on the best led's.

I like the GHL's.
Great spread / power supply built like a tank and super customer support.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay GoVol I'd like to look into them if I new the acronym for the company you are suggesting, lol! Been out of the loop to long!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon is a good size. I have a small 40 IM tank that I hate. The smaller tank volumes make keeping water chemistry stable a sport.:)

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Just checked them out, nice looking light! Need to research It! Can it be controlled by the Neptune Apex/ Fusion?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Just checked them out, nice looking light! Need to research It! Can it be controlled by the Neptune Apex/ Fusion?
You control them with the free GHL software.
See Slief's vidoe's in that thread.

GHL makes some nice full blown controllers too.

And your welcome... just trying to help.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael
You've done a ton of research like me on the GHL Mitra's and many other led options. ;Wacky
I think it's cutting edge tech. and love the six spread out led pucks / with great customer service.

Can you give @Craig Skinner your overall thoughts on the GHL 7's?
The GHL full blown controller compared to Apex?
And how hard was it to sink up the links with the free software?

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael
You've done a ton of research like me on the GHL Mitra's and many other led options. ;Wacky
I think it's cutting edge tech. and love the six spread out led pucks / with great customer service.

Can you give @Craig Skinner your overall thoughts on the GHL 7's?
The GHL full blown controller compared to Apex?
And how hard was it to sink up the links with the free software?

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The comparison of the GHL and Apex would be sweet! I've never heard GHL and have really been focusing my research on the Neptune Apex Controller.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefwiser , I'm afraid of going any smaller than 75 for just the reasons you mentioned and others. I may even go larger, haven't decided yet though, so tempting to go big, lol!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give [USER=85498]@Craig Skinner your overall thoughts on the GHL 7's?
The GHL full blown controller compared to Apex?[/USER]
The comparison of the GHL and Apex would be sweet! I've never heard GHL and have really been focusing my research on the Neptune Apex Controller.

Last January, a 'Big and Loud' controller comparison thread began and it's currently 15 pages. That thread turned me onto GHL and in large part based off that thread and a few other comments, I decided to purchase the Profilux 4 for my recent build. I've currently had the Profilux for a few weeks.

Given my work, I have some opinions on how 'safety critical' software should be developed. I look at a controller as managing my tank's life-support and GHL does some things I like.

I need some time to provide a good write-up, but the above thread will help. While I can say that I have zero regrets purchasing the Profilux 4, I'm very hesitant recommending it for 90% of people in it's current form. I think it will be some time before Profilux achieves the user setup friendliness of Neptune and I suspect managing a controller thru the cloud is a mandatory feature (rather than a nice to have) for most users. Profilux is evolving, so in six months or a year, I might say differently.

To be clear, I'm really happy with my Profilux 4 and I manage it thru my PC. However I suspect for the majority of people the a) initial setup will trip them up b) PC control software isn't an acceptable answer c) and a few missing but coming soon features are enough for them to prefer APEX.

The Mitras are their lights and I'm really happen with them. I use the same PC software that I use for the Profilux to control them. Lights are simpler than controllers, and while setting up the PC software isn't super friendly, you can just take advantage of R2R or YouTube videos and I think most will be fine. If you don't have a PC (or can't run a VM on your Mac), you are limited.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have to be very honest here, I am a structural steel welder and carpenter and my computer skills are shall we limited. I and don't want to have to right complex code to use a controller, hence my attraction to Neptune! I think I can learn there software but it's still daunting to me but I'm not ready for a controller yet anyways so maybe in some time Profilux will make their user interface software more friendly. I will read the 15 page thread that you so graciously posted and continue my research.

Thanks GoLov! Great info!

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have to be very honest here, I am a structural steel welder and carpenter and my computer skills are shall we limited. I and don't want to have to right complex code to use a controller, hence my attraction to Neptune! I think I can learn there software but it's still daunting to me but I'm not ready for a controller yet anyways so maybe in some time Profilux will make their user interface software more friendly. I will read the 15 page thread that you so graciously posted and continue my research.

Thanks GoLov! Great info!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back