OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi GoLov! I read that 15 page thread you suggested on controllers, it was very informative for the most part.

What it did do for me was to peak my interests in the GHL Profilux P4 controller a lot!! I was only considering the Neptune Apex/Fusion before I read this thread and you making me aware of this German product is great. Thank you!

I am very impressed with the quality used for their internal hardware components and the over all build quality of the whole product and it's components! Very professional and solid, it's looks and industrial like build and historical reliability as a controller make it very attractive to me, I like professionally built equipment in any of my pursuits!!

GoLov are there forums for the GHL Profilux controller where I can learn more about it?

Another question I have to ask is it very difficult to learn how to run and program it? If a new user who is not so tech savvy but not stupid learn how to use this controller? If you have to be a genius IT guy to use this I would be very disappointed and it's user base it seems to me would be extremely limited in the marine aquarium controller market.

The more I looked at and read about the Apex building components and reliability issues the less I was impressed with it, I am attracted to it's ease of use as far as it's UI simplicity and programmability but it looks like it's made like a cheap plastic kids toy not a quality electronic component, that part turns me right off! The wiring of all the modules and accessories you need for it seems extreme and frankly could become a pain in the butt IMO!

So if you could find the time to steer me in the needed direction of information and function on the GHL Profilux 4 and it's usability, forums, support network and any information I can get my hands on it would be greatly appreciated GoLov!!

Thanks!
Craig Skinner

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see if @MrMichael can help with finding the info about Profilux controllers.

Quick reply: They sell far more Apex than Profilux, so there is less info on GHL.

GHL is a sponsor here, so their sponsor forum would be #1 resource. There is the official GHL support forum, but it seems low-traffic. Your reaction sounds like it mirrors my own. I highly recommend you read Reefer525's recent posts because he was an early adopter of Profilux and just switched back to Apex and is much happier. All of his complaints are valid, but some will not apply to you since he was an early adopter and it will be out for a year by the time you purchase one and the missing alerts feature will likely be done before you start. But his reaction is why I'm hesitant to recommend it to people I don't know.

I'm really like mine, but I'm completely fine using my PC laptop. If you're from or just used to the smartphone revolution, the SW can feel like a 10+ year old flashback. But I'm fine with that, since HW reliability is critical. I suspect many of the Profilux users are old school computer people that aren't fazed.

R2R is an amazing resource, so whatever one you pick, you can simply ask questions on R2R, and other users will help you get everything working.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am a APEX user and use 3 different versions of doser made by Jebao (cheepest and loudest), DOS (nice good for water change) and GHL doser (main stand alone dosing unit). I like how APEX blend all the complex modules and functionality into single fusion and thats one of the key reason of its popularity. GHL build quality and reliability are outstanding but then proflux software part is more of pro-computer type instead of user friendly interface. But I think they will come up with better software version sooner. It takes a lot of hard work and time to develop a user friendly product so it needs time but their product quality is outstanding.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you guy's for the info and links, I read 90% of them and in doing so I realize that GHL does make a quality controller but it's programming to use it has too steep of a learning curve for this old man!! So I will resume my research into the Apex/Fusion controller even though I'm not impressed with the overly plastic shell but it's interior brain and ease of set up and use for a beginner such as myself is more my speed, plus the user base and help it's programming code is huge out there, just what I'm sure I will need to get started in the controller world, they never had such amazing technology for aquariums when I was younger!

I learned to do everything manually back then as far as monitoring, dosing, feeding etc. etc. with my reef tank and it was a pretty good successful reef, IMO.

That being said I am so excited about all of the amazing technological advancements across the entire reef building spectrum for marine reef hobbyist!

GHL has a very nice product but is above my head to learn, maybe in the future their UI will become more user friendly to the general public and especially us beginners!!

I am however very interested in the GHL Mitras 7206 LED lights, I've been looking at the Kessil AP700 LED fixture but the Mitras looks to be extremely well made. I have yet to discover if the Apex is capable of controlling either fixture with custom lighting sequences? I will probably have to buy moonlights for overnight illumination at least that's what BRS suggested in one of there video's, (fixtures don't dim enough to achieve moon light) guess I will find out eventually.

GoLov, you mentioned you had some experience with the Mitras 700 series LED'S, what your opinion of them? Do you control them with your Apex?

Well I guess I will keep researching the Apex/Fusion controller, maybe by the time I will be ready for it they will have worked out some of the bugs with their newest release.

Thanks again everyone for the help I need every bit I can get!!!

More suggestions, knowledge and experiences from the members of this cool forum would be great!

Happy reefing!
Craig..

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig,
I run Apex/Fusion with the DOS dosing pumps and It's great.

I run a Kessil/T5 hybird.

If the AP700 fits your tanks dimensions then it's a great move and you will love the Kessil Logic and the Kessil shimmer.

With led's it's very important to get the correct spread so that it minimizes shadows and hot spots.

Freddie

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last January, a 'Big and Loud' controller comparison thread began and it's currently 15 pages. That thread turned me onto GHL and in large part based off that thread and a few other comments, I decided to purchase the Profilux 4 for my recent build. I've currently had the Profilux for a few weeks.

Given my work, I have some opinions on how 'safety critical' software should be developed. I look at a controller as managing my tank's life-support and GHL does some things I like.

I need some time to provide a good write-up, but the above thread will help. While I can say that I have zero regrets purchasing the Profilux 4, I'm very hesitant recommending it for 90% of people in it's current form. I think it will be some time before Profilux achieves the user setup friendliness of Neptune and I suspect managing a controller thru the cloud is a mandatory feature (rather than a nice to have) for most users. Profilux is evolving, so in six months or a year, I might say differently.

To be clear, I'm really happy with my Profilux 4 and I manage it thru my PC. However I suspect for the majority of people the a) initial setup will trip them up b) PC control software isn't an acceptable answer c) and a few missing but coming soon features are enough for them to prefer APEX.

The Mitras are their lights and I'm really happen with them. I use the same PC software that I use for the Profilux to control them. Lights are simpler than controllers, and while setting up the PC software isn't super friendly, you can just take advantage of R2R or YouTube videos and I think most will be fine. If you don't have a PC (or can't run a VM on your Mac), you are limited.

Thanks for the info and comparison Mr Michael! The P4 is very nice but beyond my abilities to program and use as I have found out through reading what you suggest and researching more about this controller, I think I will just go with the Apex/Fusion eventually as it's more my speed, lol!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and comparison Mr Michael! The P4 is very nice but beyond my abilities to program and use as I have found out through reading what you suggest and researching more about this controller, I think I will just go with the Apex/Fusion eventually as it's more my speed, lol!

Sounds good. This might be an interesting thread to bookmark and then circle back in a few weeks. I imagine you'll be researching equipment for a bit. It's half, if not more than half, of the fun.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed my mind, I've been researching the GHL P4 and talking to other GHL users for day's and will go with the P4.

Anyways I spoke to Felix ovèr at REEF SAVVY about my tank bid and he asked me a question I could not answer right away. He wanted to know if I wanted a single return or a double return hole/holes in the ghost overflow? Why would I need 2 returns?

Can someone enlighten me on this subject?

Thanks
Craig..

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wanted to know if I wanted a single return or a double return hole/holes in the ghost overflow? Why would I need 2 returns?
Craig,
To myself: He's asking if you want two holes, if you want flow to come back from the main pump and and enter the main display in two spots for a more even and spread out flow in your display.

But... I could be wrong and I'd get Felix's advice and follow his lead.

Freddie

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed my mind, I've been researching the GHL P4 and talking to other GHL users for day's and will go with the P4.

Anyways I spoke to Felix ovèr at REEF SAVVY about my tank bid and he asked me a question I could not answer right away. He wanted to know if I wanted a single return or a double return hole/holes in the ghost overflow? Why would I need 2 returns?

Can someone enlighten me on this subject?

Thanks
Craig..
Reef Savvy is so well loved on on the forum that maybe a separate Reef Savvy help post night get you the answers you want. They have a few upgrade options and you can talk with other users.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig,
To myself: He's asking if you want two holes, if you want flow to come back from the main pump and and enter the main display in two spots for a more even and spread out flow in your display.

Freddie
Craig,

Freddie

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Govols, I think you are right but I will ask Felix just to make sure, your reply makes good sense to me!

I'm going to change my tank dimensions to:

L 4' x W 2'-6" x H 2'

Do you think the increased size I have chosen would need 2 returns?

I'm thinking of going with 2 Maxpect gyre units one on either end of the tank for wave making and circulation system, would I need 2 returns with this set up?

So much to learn, loving it!!

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Savvy is so well loved on on the forum that maybe a separate Reef Savvy help post night get you the answers you want. They have a few upgrade options and you can talk with other users.

That's a good idea Mr Michael I will most likely do that, Felix's work is outstanding!!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Govols, I think you are right but I will ask Felix just to make sure, your reply makes good sense to me!

I'm going to change my tank dimensions to:

L 4' x W 2'-6" x H 2'

Do you think the increased size I have chosen would need 2 returns?

I'm thinking of going with 2 Maxpect gyre units one on either end of the tank for wave making and circulation system, would I need 2 returns with this set up?

So much to learn, loving it!!
I would want two returns for a 4' long reef.

But... (lol) That's just my opinion. :)

I run a gyre and it will rock a tank really nice.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you do just put in a Y fitting in the main return line?
You got it.

One hose from the main pump and use a Y to split it to the two returns.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Savvy has a great reputation. Their tanks are near works of art.

If you have the space, you might want to consider the length. One of the most popular fish groups are the tangs. You can consider the smaller species in a 4' tank and many in a 6' tank. The larger tanks are more expensive, but when you consider the controller, RODI, testing and so on, it is not that much more. The larger size offers fewer restrictions. Just something to consider.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back