Custom New Aquarium Design ?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came across a sump built just for the Theiling Rollermat made by Elite Aquatics. The problem go me is I want to go with the Reef Octopus Elite 200 sss skimmer but the skimmer area in this beautiful sump is to small.

What I need to know is if I went with this sump and installed the Theiling Rollermat and got the Reef Octopus Elite 150 int see, which would fit in this sump would the combination of these 2 pieces be sufficient for my 150 ga tank + sump 20 to 30 ga. ???

Anybody care to chime in on this?

Craig...
Depends on how you stock the tank with fish on the line it says heavy bio load 100 gallons. How about a skimmer with the pump inside the cone? What's the footprint ur looking for?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or I forget where ur putting ur sump but what about a skimmer outside of the sump

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Justin!

My sump will be under the tank.

I'm going to go with the Reef Octopus Elite 220 SSS w/VarioS controller.
The foot print for this model is 13.6 x 11.2 (inches).

What I believe that I am going to do now is have Advanced Acrylics build me a custom sump. I have the dimensions on the Theiling Rollermat now L 17" x H 18" x W 9.5" so I can have them build the compartment specifically for the rollermat and all other spaces for equipment I choose to implement into this build.

The more I research and get into this I realized that I need to have a custom sump built for my specific needs, there's simply isn't a stock sump option out there for what I want/need. With the stock sumps no matter how nice they are, one compartment or another always falls short and the generalized design's just don't work out for me.

Like I said before I don't want Anything to do with filter socks at all!!! Lol!!

Much planning/designing/research to do still!
I keep getting deeper & deeper into this new reef tank I want to build and I'm having a great time doing it too!
I'm learning something new every day, ain't it grand!

I seem to have acquired reefing madness disease and their no known cure, what a blessing!!

Craig...

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i don't use filter socks or a roller mat

U should look into what "method " u want to run on ur tank and build around that.

I wanted to run the triton method so that's how I set up my tank.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i don't use filter socks or a roller mat

U should look into what "method " u want to run on ur tank and build around that.

I wanted to run the triton method so that's how I set up my tank.

I was thinking about the Triton method myself but I'm going to wait till I have a mature reef before I go that route.

I have a pretty good idea on the method I am going to go but nothing is set in concrete yet!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the Triton method myself but I'm going to wait till I have a mature reef before I go that route.

I have a pretty good idea on the method I am going to go but nothing is set in concrete yet!
Ok look into the ati one that looks cool

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So GoVol haven't heard from you in a while bud! I'm sure you are working and busy but I miss your input along with other members input to my quest!

So how big is your tank? Sump? What equipment are you running to keep your reef?

Can you post some pictures of your labor of love? That would be cool!

Ever heard of Elite Acrylics? I sent them 2 e-mails pertaining to building me a custom sump, still haven't heard back from them.

Can you recommend any custom sump builders who do a great job and have good customer service and build and outstanding product not only structurally but aesthetically to!
I want custom pvc/acrylic color options as well.

How about custom stand builders using aluminum framing? I want strength without weight and unfettered access to the sump area! I want to use wood panels that attach magnetically to the frame for ease of removal and sump/system maintenance.

Hope you chime in as well as other members!

Craig...

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So GoVol haven't heard from you in a while bud! I'm sure you are working and busy but I miss your input along with other members input to my quest!

So how big is your tank? Sump? What equipment are you running to keep your reef?

Ever heard of Elite Acrylics? I sent them 2 e-mails pertaining to building me a custom sump, still haven't heard back from them.

Can you recommend any custom sump builders who do a great job and have good customer service and build and outstanding product not only structurally but aesthetically to!

How about custom stand builders using aluminum framing? I want strength without weight and unfettered access to the sump area! I want to use wood panels that attach magnetically to the frame for ease of removal and sump/system maintenance.

Craig...
@GoVols

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump synergy reef, melves reef, advanced acrylic
Custom stand I would talk to reef savvy they would know best
I know I'm no govols but that's my opinion

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin I appreciate your input also bud and all the members on this forum!

GoVol just happens to have jumped on my questions immediately when I first joined this forum and has been a great help to me and he requested other members to give me a shout out when I needed questions answered.

Your right I should ask Felix about the stand and I will look up those custom sump builders you recommended and have a look.

Thanks Justin!!

Craig...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Craig...
Craig,
I'm sorry that I did not catch your post.
If you want to see my setup just click the link on my Signature Line.
I have a 2013 Red Sea S 400 and have done some mods to it.

Freddie

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Justin, just got your post on the POV skimmer. Is it a new model? Followed the link and had a look but I can't find a price for this skimmer!

I would need the next size up but that's okay, would need to compare it to the Elite 220 int. sss Reef Octopus with VarioS dc pump and controller.

Justin do you know the price on the POV?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx and Deltec makes great simmers too and the NYOS skimmers are hot.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want a retired skimmer but nice price for it!

I think I will just stick to the Elite 220 int. VarioS it has some great reviews, it's pricey at around 799.00 but I can also control it with the GHL P4. or it's own controller!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back